Will the pandemic change our attitude to streaming?

I just saw this post in another thread, gets right to the heart of the matter:

Iā€™m thinking that the bug is that Roon treats the local cloud, the files accessed directly by the Roon Core, differently from the remote clouds. It auto-imports anything from the local cloud, whether you want it to, or not. It should treat them all the same way. Maybe with a button ā€œImport everything from the local cloudā€, as well.

Outboard Back up drives are cheapā€¦I would never trust anything to anyoneā€™s cloudā€¦I back up my own musicā€¦Why would I trust huge entities that always seem to dump personal info back on to the netā€¦saying only ā€œahhā€”we sorryā€ā€¦Iā€™ll trust my own gear ā€¦thanks!

The pandemic hasnā€™t affected my attitude toward streaming but it has affected my family in ways weā€™ve not experienced before. As it has for millions of others.

Gone are the days of complacency, thinking we can just run to the store for food, the electricity will be on, we can always get a haircut, and we can see our friends, kids and grandkids whenever we want. We used to joke about running a B&B with family and friends visiting all the time. Now, we have not seen any friends or family in person since the holiday season ended. That is the hardest part for us.

With my wife working from home my new job is her IT support. She has to have access and a fairly comfortable workstation setup. Her laptop doesnā€™t cut it without a big monitor for Zoom meetings with her staff, keyboard, mouse and good internet speed with Ethernet. Good thing we had the house wired for Roon.

For the basics needs, we are covered. Our neighbors gave us a big upright freezer when they moved away, and we ordered a big separate refrigerator (no freezer) to keep food on hand, and weā€™re having a whole house backup generator with a 500 gallon propane tank added to keep the power going.

When the planes hit the towers on 9/11/01 things changed. I didnā€™t think it could get any worse at the time but now it has, although for different reasons How long this will last or how bad it will ultimately get is unknown. We can only do what we can do.

Hope everyone reading this and everyone they know is safe and have the ability to stay that way.

4 Likes

I am guessing that you donā€™t work in enterprise storage. The vast majority of data loss comes from user error (i.e. you). My agency uses Dropbox for team collaboration and archival of work files. The folks that run Dropbox know a lot more about managing reliable, secure, shared storage than I do (even though I do have a career background in storage).

But the point is to use both: local and cloud backups.

1 Like

So this entire, philosophical, existential discussion was about a ā€œlikeā€ button? First world problems, indeed.

2 Likes

Triggered by that, but I could just as well say, triggered by newspapers, or by some private conversations Iā€™ve had.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had to turn off cable news. I still read papers online, but depressing, nonfactual opinion, and other BS is easier to skip.

1 Like

Yes. I turned off the TV altogether on January 1.

In fact, Iā€™m a bit torn. I have learnt through my life and career that proposals and ideas get more understanding and agreement when I anchor them in concrete examples.

On the other hand, people tend to latch on to the concrete example and come up with a hack solution to it.

I think so, and in my case, I am getting tired of the same TV BS, Music and even live radio makes a better way to pass the time. So in that case, it has changed my perspective.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about that - when I listen to records (yes, I still refer to all recorded music, streamed or otherwise, as ā€œrecordsā€) I often have friends over for listening sessionsā€¦ I love having my collection in a merged library. I pass my tablet around so folks can see my collection or find something they want me to listen to.

Itā€™s not the same as the old days when we had the shared experience of reading liner notes to each other, etc. but itā€™s still shared experience.

2 Likes

Simple. After the Covid thing is over, call a few friends and invite them to your home to listen to music. Just like always. How does streaming change that? Am I missing something?

Too bad you withdrew both comments.

Different ways of streaming, I think. Hooking up to Spotifyā€™s mass market playlists is one thing. I select albums and add them to Roonā€™s library, just like with CDs and downloads. So itā€™s a different way of acquiring.

I have spoken of appreciating Roonā€™s suggestions. They are remarkably good. But inevitably, many that I add to the library are not keepers, and I delete those (Hide, actually).

Because it is, as you say, my taste and my personality.

Sorry I did too. Did you read them? Iā€™m a noob here and I was afraid I might step on someoneā€™s footā€¦ OK I put them back. Thanks for the encouragement.

To me, streaming means I want to listen to music and keep my money invested somewhere besides LPā€™s and CDā€™s. Otherwise, thereā€™s no difference. We all listen to what we like. Itā€™s the same reason we watch Netflix and donā€™t purchase a bunch of DVDā€™s. I did purchase one 4K DVD just to test out my Oppo 203 a few years ago. Iā€™m not sure why I bought the Oppo, but Iā€™m glad I did. I had never heard of Roon at the time.

Iā€™ve learned to be very selective about what I add to my library. I donā€™t think anything in there is an unfair representation of my taste.

I add all and sundry and then whittle it down afterwards. I like to add things and then see if it changes my tastes.

Iā€™ve seen people argue against Kindle on the basis that they want their bookshelves reflect their intellect and personality. I use Kindle, so the bookshelves reflect my intellect and personality up until ten years ago.

Wrt music, Roon makes it easier, itā€™s all Roon, there are no physical shelves.

And in any case, I donā€™t see a need to present my personality.

2 Likes