Will the pandemic change our attitude to streaming?

There are no books in my house. I read my last book getting an MBA.

The juvenile barnacle is a free-swimming larva, hunting after food, and it has a rudimentary brain for that purpose. As an adult, it attaches itself to a substrate, grows a shell, and feeds on what floats by; it no longer needs the brain, and eats it. Not unlike getting tenure.

I told that story to my professor friend, he didn’t think it was funny.

6 Likes

I can relate. At one point in our life our bookshelf signified who we were, how cool and nonconformist we were. Then I grew up and got old and realized nobody gave a ■■■■■ much less looked at our bookshelf for confirmation of how cool we are. Now, all our books are on Kindle, and they are almost (not completely, but almost) trashy novels, and I like them and no longer care what anybody thinks. Nor do I care what they think about me liking Led Zeppelin and the Go Go’s and George Jones and hating Pink Floyd. It’s a big world. Love one another and stay safe.

1 Like

Wait a minute! All of our bookshelves are on Zoom! Curate for effect!

I’ve noticed that intellectual and public policy pundits zoom in front of their bookshelves, while comics and actors and entertainers tend to zoom in front of their art collections.

1 Like

A friend of mine has green screened in the Oval Office backdrop.

It occurs to me that whilst I have completely embraced the digital lifestyle vis-à-vis music, I cannot bring myself to do the same for print and the visual arts. There are around 2,700 books in the house and less than 30 in my phone’s Kindle.

2 Likes

I can’t get along with Kindle. I need the tactile nature of a book. Plus I associate certain things in particular locations on pages.

3 Likes

I had a Sony ebook reader first, now kindles.
I had the Sony really early and spent a lot of time explaining to the curious exactly what it was.
I started as I travelled a lot and read quite quickly so was always running out of books. It was especially bad on family holidays where taking up half a suitcase for books was deemed unacceptable :slight_smile:
So now I mainly kindle it.

It was a truly luscious lump of technology, wasn’t it?

It was very solid. I bought mine in the states in 2007 as they weren’t released in the UK.
I had endless conversations with people about it before they became mainstream.

Use tags, bookmarks and Focus. If you are lucky the devs allow folder browsing…

The US population of over 65s is over 50 million. Many of those who are dying of the Coronavirus are frail aged - who would have already dispersed much of their property. The Coronavirus is not going to kill us off, we will still be around for a few more years yet.

However, what has been remarkable amongst my friends has been the take up of technology to keep in contact with family and friends by those who in the past had been resistant to it. I am not sure whether this will extend to the use of streaming services.

:joy:…

Kindle has been a boon for me. I used to be an avid reader - but over time I was doing less reading. It was only when I bought a Kindle I realised why - I was finding the print in many physical books slightly difficult to read and this was tiring me. With Kindle (or my iPad), I can adjust print and contrast to suit. I am now finding that I am reading much more.

Video conferencing is just a streaming service but limited users…so yes it does appear to changed the attitude for many