Wired connection worth it

thank you and New Years to you too!

I think I got it.

Core it is the working roon, so it can be the Roon Server installed on the old one
The new MBP needs the full app to act as controller (remote). All iOS have app for remote

I did not know that

So you will need not to close the lid

ARC cannot be used as remote, have a separate app for remote

okay! will install remote on my new computer.

Or maybe you are just happy with iPad and iPhones so no need to install on the new MBP. You have to try and see what works for you

oh wow! I am going to check the app out. Thanks!

oh, yeah, I need to test this. it might work and it might not.

for me phone is too small and tablets are kids property, anyway I work at computer or the desk with the computer.

I have the Roon remote installed on my mini iPad and it works! I connect my mojo to the new MacBook and it sees the mojo and plays thru mojo!!! it works! I just have to keep my screen half open to allow 24/7 access to my core! yep yeppie!

2 Likes

I’m going to modify what you’re saying here ever so slightly. If you have an ISP router, your core should be connected by a home run (single ethernet cable) back to an additional switch, with a single cable connecting the switch to router.

ISP routers are notoriously rubbish, and a GS108 is cheap and can eliminate a few potential problems. Also, when swapping ISP, it makes life a little easier.

Thank you. I started to think that I’m doing all wrong. But Roon always works.
My ISP router has only one port 1000 and 3x100. So using that one to a 12 port switch were all the things are wired in. I only had slow roon (no stops) when I was playing upsampled DSD 256 DoP. I’m not sure it was the switch but moved the bridge to direct connection and the speed is back.

Until I figure out a new router and bridge the ISP one I’ll keep this configuration.

1 Like

Running a single cable from the router to a switch and then plugging everything else into the switch IS the way to do it, imho.

2 Likes

Once you get Roon Server running on your older Macbook, I would leave the full Roon software package on your newer Macbook. It can act as a Roon controller, but it can also act as a second Roon core if you ever want to take it with you somewhere. It can also act as a Roon end-point.

While a phone or tablet can also be a Roon controller with the Roon Remote app installed, and you will want to install the Roon ARC app on your phone and tablets, some of the Roon functions are more difficult to use or not available on a phone or tablet. You’ll want to use your newer Macbook Roon controller at times. I much prefer using a laptop as Roon controller vs phone or tablet.

Isn’t that the truth. Lucky for me that store is about a mile away
 :rofl:
Glad you got it done.

–MD

1 Like

Exactly
100ft cable to 8 port unmanaged switch.
It just plain works
all the time.

1 Like

That’s a good idea :smiling_imp: , I think I did it 6 years ago , I have only ever run Roon on wireless to my “Kitchen Kit” , the microwave plays havoc (old iPad Mini to BeoPlay A1 BT Speaker)

Funnily enough , we had to decorate a room and I had no option but to run the Naim Uniti Atom HE WiFi , it ran perfectly ,but the core was still Etherrnet

Darned if I can remember how long ago I ran it.
It was initially a 4 port switch but my ever growing equipment gear outgrew that switch :rofl:

I can remember when I put the cable in , it was days after a lightening strike wiped out a lot of my gear , I really wondered if a wire was a good idea

1 Like

Something I have read often, but my experience in measuring several microwaves tells me that there must be something really wrong with these respective units!
Better toss it, since that’s absolutely not normal!

BTW, im using wireless to my kitchen RPi3B+ with HAT and the microwave is halfway in the middle between Router and RPi - never misses a beat, even on full blast

Athena is my 2017 MacBook Air which runs my Roon Core and is currently streaming to my new WiiM Mini streamer in the living room.

I have installed the full Roon software on my Air and it acts as Core. So I didn’t install the Core only option.

When it comes to the Air itself. I don’t have the lid fully closed, just a few cm’s above the keyboard. So it doesn’t go into sleep mode and still has ways to cool off. Even though that’s hardly necessary it seems. I have never heard its fan turn on, and the chassis is always cool.

I have a 2 tb USB 3.0 hard drive connected to one of the USB ports of the Air, and it’s running on macOS 12.6.2 Monterey. The latest officially supported macOS version.

Maintenance I’m doing from my MacBook Pro through screen sharing. And I give it a reboot every 2 weeks or so. Otherwise it’s online 24/7.

Apart from the wired connection between both my routers (ISP and my own ASUS) the rest runs through 5g wifi. My apartment isn’t very big, so I don’t suffer from drops etc. Everything plays solid as a rock.

1 Like