With Roon 2.0 in the clouds, how is the Roon db handled? What processes happen in the ether?

With a cloudy Roon 2.0, what are the implications for processing, Roon db location, db backups, etc?

Roon 2.0 isn’t in the cloud you still have a local server and database. Some functions like search have an always on connection is the only change.

1 Like

Roon 2.0 seems to me to just be 1.8 with ARC. It behaves identically, good and bad. So I can’t imagine there has been much transition to the cloud yet.

There needs to be some ‘rendezvous’ logic - so the 2.0 core registers it’s port and IP address with a roon cloud service, and ARC can request this so it can then talk to your core.

But this is more an extension to the data roon holds centrally to allow logins, manage licenses etc.

As @ged_hickman1 says the database is still held on your core.

Yes, this is clearly needed.

The part that I am unclear about is what has moved to the cloud that makes it a must to have an internet connection. Search obviously requires the access to more than your db, but that’s just a “when you search” requirement.

So what has moved?

1 Like

As @ged_hickman1 said, search is now performed entirely in the cloud. Previously, a local search would work if there was no connection, but this was considered unsatisfactory.

You can’t have your cake and eat it.

1 Like

Does that mean that my Roon db is in the cloud as well? I would not think so because my Roon db is about 15GB in size and Roon 2.0 worked right after installation (ie no time to send that much data to the cloud).

So I am still unclear how the design works…

No, it’s only on your core.

Don’t worry about it. Just know you need an always on connection.

I don’t worry about it. I want to understand how it works.

Well apart from the nothing has changed; apart from the search algorithm only exists in the cloud what else do you think you don’t understand?

Couple of things:

“Search algorythm exists in the cloud” → What does that mean?

How does the cloud search my local files? I have plenty of stuff that doesn’t exist in streaming services and also some stuff that has not even been published - from musicians for example. Obviously Roon search would be suboptimal if it can only search things it can identify in it’s master db. If it can search everything without having my Roon db in the cloud, how does that work?

I could keep going on and on with more non-trivial questions…

Here is the search reason from Roon.
Search is not the only reason for the always on connection as Danny says in this link I presume Roon decided to make the change now in association with V2.

I get that, but that does not explain what I wrote above.

poorly, limited to keyword search only

1 Like

Thx @danny

Curious how it relays back to the core the search results… If it were albums one could conceivably use the album identifier (surely there is one like an ISBN for books). But I guess for tracks or artists it might be harder. Also I assume that, for performance, it pulls results from the cloud as you scroll?

Not sure if Roon 2.0 is less processor hungry than before. I can certainly say that with a collection of 100000 tracks, when the database backs up or at other certain times, the processing CPU is on max when Roon ‘does its thing’ with the database. I’ve had slow response times and no results when this is happening. However, I upgraded my NAS and gave it LOADS of RAM and an SSD hard disk. This made an ENORMOUS difference in performance. SSD for the RoonServer RoonOnNas folder is so important. Doesn’t have to be big. The library of music files. Can be on any HDD disk no issues. I think I’ve jumped off topic a little, but I was curious if Roon are also trying to make it less power-hungry on the local core.