Wondering if Roon will work for me

I hate Alexa. I gave away my Alexa device.

Just had another drop out. Everything wired. Just for a second just like the old setup. Damn it

If I ever get rid of the drop outs. I will either but the Node or the new Bel Canto Stream which does Roo n and MQA. Iā€™m waiting on them to make the Room and MQA ready dac to go along with it.

I have wanted the computer out of this for a long time. Bel Canto told me to buy an Id which runs on Linux and it should stop the dropouts. Maybe the Nucleus does the same

All I know is ,I still have drop outs

I guess JRiver just got ruled out as the problem and so did my Refstream. I think that leaves either the NAS, or taking out the computer with a MIC or nucleusā€¦ or I just canā€™t winā€¦

Iā€™m betting on just canā€™t win

I purchased a Node 2i and returned it the same day. Thatā€™s because the only way I could connect it was using optical and Blusound told me I would never get more than 24/96. I wanted something that would do 24/192. Then I discovered I already had that with my Oppo 203. I think some optical connections will do more than others.

Can you copy some music files to a directory on your computer and play them from there just to rule in or rule out the NAS? Better yet, do you have a spare hard drive you can plug into your computer USB and play from there?

I put in a bunch of light switches that work with Alexa. They work almost 100%. Then I bought a thing called a Bond. It turns being fans and other things like shades into things you can control on your tablet and Alexa. This also works great. Actually better than the remotes that came with the fans. Once and a while you just have to unplug it to reset it if itā€™s not working like all things computer

1 Like

I donā€™t have another hard drive. Or I could try playing from my backup drive somehow. Itā€™s also just a cheap WD. Same thing as my NAS but just a backup drive

I can probably rule out the NAS too though since my old NAS did the same thing

This is why I like BeL Canto. When I have asked questions, many times the guy who answers me is the guy who either owns the company or designs the stuff or he does both

He told me to take out the computer and use the Id. This was with the refstream. Bel Canto recommended JRiver to run it and I think you could get an Id from Jriver. Now with Bel Canto new stuff they have their own app

But anyway John Stronzer from bel canto told me once he took out the computer, no more drop outs

I never got around to doing it cause I was still spending money twerking the system. Now other then a new streamer, if I do Roon, the system is set. Now I want the drop outs out. It seems about the only thing to try is taking out the computer or living with drop outs

Donā€™t live with the dropouts.

Off the drop out topic. If a file didnā€™t transfer from my NAS into Roon, is there a way to force it in? Also if I had a cd to the Nas, how do I get it into Roon. With Jriver, I had to import any new cds from the NAS into jriver

I figured out the first question. Yay me!

Ok now Roo n stopped playing and it says no audio devices found. Is this normal? I canā€™t win

Keeps stopping now. Guess Iā€™m going back to jriver at least that starts up again after a second or two. Crap!

Roo n really slows my computer a lot too. Spinning wheel of death for everything

@Tom_DeLayo

Let me chime in. I built both a nuc/rock and a pi/hifiberry digi one +. I am most decidedly not a computer expert. Trust me. It was really really easy. Download the ropeeei beginners guide and just follow it. Use the Roon suggested rock components. Connect everything via Ethernet.

So I have nucā€”->Ethernet ā€”ā€”>rpi 3b+ā€”ā€”>coaxā€”ā€”->Yamaha RX v2085, using its built in ESS DAC. All controlled by iOS devices using Roon app. Itā€™s freaking great.

It all worked from the get go and I have had zero problems. Sounds great and requires zero tinkering once set up. Basically, appliances. You can save many hundreds of dollars DIY over a nucleus.

Also: DO NOT use a NAS for your library. Just attach a decent hard drive to the nuc via usb. Iā€™m using a WD 5 tb spinning drive and it works a treat. I now use the NAS for backup and a plex server for use when out and about.
My .02

1 Like

Not sure what computer You have but the basic nuc recommended by Roon works fine on my 40,000 song library. Only slowdown is when adding and processing new ripped music.

You got this!

1 Like

Found my list:

I did this:

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) with 2.5A Power Supply (UL Listed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC6WH7V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7BpkEbGHJPCB5

HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZZRM1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BCpkEbE6J8DDW
ā€”this gives a coax digital output. Not sure if thatā€™s what you need.

GeauxRobot Raspberry Pi 3B+/3B 2-layer Dog Bone Stack Clear Case Box Enclosure also for Pi 2B B+ A+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU70MZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ODpkEb8552DSP

SanDisk 16GB Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 98MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUAR-016G-GN6MA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073K14CVB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qEpkEbTT8VYE6

Others may weigh in. It all screws together. Not much by way of instructions but itā€™s pretty intuitive. Youā€™ll only need 2 of the case layers.

Follow beginner guide. Mine worked first time and really sounds great. I dig the clear case but thatā€™s not dogma either.

Aaaaand for the rock:

ROCK For Small to Medium Sized Libraries

We recommend the NUC8i3BEH with 4GB RAM and 64GB M.2 SSD for small to medium-sized libraries. Please note that 4GB RAM sticks and 64GB M.2 SSDs are difficult to find, and thereā€™s little price difference between the 8GB and 128GB upgrades. You can find these components on Amazon at the links below, or add them to your Amazon cart with one click further down.

Component Amazon US Amazon UK Amazon DE
NUC8i3BEH View View View
8GB RAM View View View
128GB M.2 SSD* View View View

*If you are planning to add a non-M.2 SSD for internal storage, please note that the Intel NUC will only accept 2.5" drives with a maximum 9.5mm thickness

You can add the base NUC8i3BEH + 8GB RAM + 128GB M.2 SSD to your Amazon cart with one click at these links:

Add to cart Amazon US

Add to cart Amazon UK

Add to cart Amazon DE

These are the parts I used for Raspberry Pi 4 with USB out to my DAC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD43PDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073K14CVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG4DW52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYQRXTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like prices when up a little. I built mine for $74 which looks like $86 now.

Iā€™ve had Qobuz for a year. During that time Iā€™ve added 936 albums to my library. Thatā€™s a total of ~$15K worth of CDs for ~$180. Obviously that cost ratio decreases the longer I keep my subscription, but I canā€™t imagine I would ever be in the red. The biggest problem is I donā€™t have enough time to listen to all the music I have available.

1 Like

I know everyone wants to use the NUC and it is obviously way cheaper. I just like the fact of the Nucleus having no fan and not heating up cause itā€™s going in a tight space in my cabinet. Or a long Ethernet run away with a switch in between I guess. A switch seems like another thing to cause drop outs to me

If you stick a hard drive in the Nucleus then you donā€™t need another NAS or separate hard drive right? And shouldnā€™t that work better. is anybody using a Nucleus like this? The NUC would be by itself and then a hard drive or NAS right?

Iā€™m not afraid of the build. Iā€™m afraid of the putting it on my network. Less then zero patience for network issues and even if you guys didnā€™t have them, be assured I will. I canā€™t get the damn drop outs to stop for crying out load. Did it a few times in a row. I left it on and went away to load my truck for work tomorrow and my wife says it has been fine since I left

I have hundreds of cds. Almost always pay $5-10 each for them and I have them forever. Streaming services are no doubt a good deal but if you ever stop streaming you then lose all your albums. Just like if CD players to away I guess, but I can always load up new hard drives

I may do both in the long run but I just like owning the stuff.

Itā€™s like reading books on a kindle. They cost almost as much as a real book but they arenā€™t really yours if you want to loan them to somebody. You can loan them for 10 days then they drop out like my music

A NUC and Nucleus are basically the same thing used in the same way. Itā€™s just a matter if you want a DYI to save some money or want to spend more for a turn-key, almost fool proof solution. I went with a Nucleus and installed an internal 1 TB SSD for music files. You can buy a fanless case for a NUC, but I preferred to go with a Nucleus. I see threads here where people are asking a lot of questions about their NUCS and I did not want to get into all of that.

Do you think the Nucleus with the hard drive inside works more seamlessly then a separate hard drive or NAS. I would expect it does. I see some guys saying not to use a NAS with roon. That it doesnā€™t work well. Still looking for the reason for my drop outsā€¦ This is my last hope or at least last idea