Wondering if Roon will work for me

I can only relate my own experience plus what I have read here. From my experience, a Roon Nucleus with SSD inside works flawlessly. I have read about plenty of problems with music on a NAS. I’m sure some people have no problems, but others do have problems. I think the recommendations are to use a NAS for backup’s, not feeding music to Roon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You realize you’re selling me on spending the big bucks on the Nucleus? I was headed in that direction anyway. I can get one at my stereo shop and he can help me when it doesn’t work. That’s worth something

1 Like

Better than a WD? Not cheap either. I would need the 2 tb $289. My 2tb NAS was cheaper

No drop outs for hours. Senseless stuff

I have my Nucleus sitting in the cabinet below my LG TV next to my Oppo 203. I had ethernet pulled to the Nucleus and HDMI from the Nucleus to the Oppo. USB to the DAC is probably more common or even ethernet. I have had it since early December and it has never missed a beat. It runs 24/7. I have the Roon control app on my iPhone and iPad (and Nexus 7), but usually use my Dell laptop as the control device. FLAWLESS. So far, I have 1104 albums linked in Tidal and Qobuz, just over 500 discrete albums on each service. I like to compare the Tidal MQA with the Qobuz 24/96 and 24/192. I only have a handfull of local albums.

Don’t know, this is what was recommended here.

My stereo store loves the MQA. Wants me to try tidal. Do you like it better then Qobuz?once I figure this stuff out I will At least trial 1 or both. I think if I buy the Node it gets me 3 months of Tidal. Pretty sure he said that. Although it might be the cheaper version

I like them both. To me, there is not a lot of difference between MQA using an MQA DAC vs Qobuz high resolution. I will probably drop Tidal when my 6 month subscription runs out because they seem to be stuck on their $20 per month fee. Qobuz reduced price to $15 per month or $12.50 if you pay for a year. They both have all the music I listen to. My Oppo 203 does not do MQA so I have to use a headphone DAC for that. I don’t plan to replace the Oppo.

I had the older oppo can’t think of the number, the cheaper bluesy one, in my theater. Started streaming with that actually. It had a hard time seeing new discs so I had to retire it. Sad they don’t exist any more

Roon is wonderful though not perfect. I am not familiar with JRiver so cannot comment what may be different.

Eveything you list is fine IF your Bel Canto plays nice with Roon. If your model is not specifically listed as Roon Ready or at least Roon Tested you may need to add a streamer that supports Roon.
You will want to hard wire your Roon core (believe you are planning on the Mac) to your network when using Roon. You will also need to confirm Roon has an Amazon version of their app.
Also no Amazon Music and time line or commitment it will happen. Only Tidal & Qobuz for streaming services.
If you get through the trial and want to continue you will probably want to get a dedicated core.

@Tom_DeLayo - I may have missed some posts in this thread, and apologies if I have, but there doesn’t seem to have been much focus on your network details, aside from cable? If you were getting drop outs before and now drop outs with Roon, it would seem to point to that as a possible common factor? I’d suggest working with @support to pin down the problem properly before dropping further cash.

It’s also worth noting that the Node 2i isn’t the best device for isolating these issues - if you search the forum you’ll find a split between those that have no issues at all with it and those for whom it never seems to have worked reliably.

Good luck and I hope you get things running smoothly soon!

Yes. It has to be a network issue it would seem. I tried Roo n in hopes of finding out that JRiver was the issue which it seems now that it wasnt. That would have been a simple fix. My stereo store loaned me the Node because it was a cheap loaner and the only way I could try Roo n as none of my stuff is Roo n ready.

Chances are it’s traffic on the router or at least something with the router except that I don’t think it ever happened with Amazon music so maybe I’m wrong. I’m pretty good trouble shooting but I have no idea how to fix Network problems even if I zero in on the problem

Roo n does seem pretty cool so far and tonight no drop outs. Last night no drop outs since the afternoon. It’s just weird

Thanks. Replied to you but forgot to hit reply on your post

Yup. I have everything hardwired already. Got Roo n to work on my tablet. Just have to find the right apk file to download it.

Yeah, if I keep Roon trying to convince myself it’s ok to spend the money on a nucleus.plus a Roo n ready streamer. Just borrowing the Node to try Roon. My Mac is older and is not liking Roon on it. Slows everything down

I’d start by looking at the Networking Guide and in particular checking if there’s any settings mentioned for your router (bottom of the page). Failing that, I’d suggest providing full details of your network kit (router, switches etc.) and how it’s all connected so that @support or other folk can try to help. Am sure they’ll get you there!

Er, no. Not unless it’s faulty, or (sometimes) a managed switch.

Have you tried JRiver to JRemote on an iPad or Android to see if you get drop outs there

I have used JRiver in all versions for 8 years and NEVER have a blip. I run 24/192 across ethernet without an issue.

The only problems start when I use WiFi for 24/192 it just doesn’t cut it

We’ve been through this above , the streamer is ethernet ONLY hence no numbers of streamers will help

Ok. Good plan.

So I have a Netgear R8000 router. My NAS, computer, streamer(right now, the Node),modem are all in the same spot and are all hard wired with Audioquest cinnamon except the computer where I snaked plain old cat 6 through the wall. So not using any wifi, switches, or even long runs of cable here.

Anyone have issues with this router??

Looked at Networking guide. There was one suggestion for a Netgear r7000 router. They recommend disabling the “enable smart connect” setting. I will try that after work

I will say this. Last night no dropouts as long as nobody did anything on the computer. Once my wife went to the computer where the Room Core is and used the internet, the dropouts started. JRiver did not do this. as noticeably anyway

My Mac seems to have Roon. It is very very slow since adding Roon. Yes it is kind of old. My wife thinks 2016. So not that old.

Wish I could try a Nucleus on a trial.