Wondering if Roon will work for me

Yes. Let’s assume from here on out that the refstream is no longer used. Right now borrowing the Node to troubleshoot. Then once fixed ,if I go with Roon, I will be changing the Streamer. Maybe keeping the. Node as a cheap temporary fix while I decide what to do

It is very important to recognize that Roon requires much more bandwidth than most other home applications. Not only is it moving music into the core and out to the endpoints, it is reaching out to the internet to populate the database, update graphics, etc. So just because one can stream to a TV wirelessly doesn’t mean the network will support Roon’s demands.
You have never specified exactly what your ‘old Mac’ is. I’d say it’s unusual for glitches to happen with Roon because someone is using it, but I suppose with a really old computer it could happen. Again, Roon is working hard on the core managing data. It also does a lot of work on the PC GPU which is, I guess, I little novel. So conflicts there could cause issues.
Since you also had problems with JRiver, which isn’t the resource hog Roon is, there must be something more intrinsically flawed in your network backbone. Maybe it’s the Mac.
Also, ‘specialized audiophile ethernet cables’ can cause issues. I don’t recall seeing problems with Audioquest, per se, but it’s not uncommon to see ‘Roon network problems’ fixed when a plain old ethernet cable is swapped in for an expensive audiophile cable.
For sure, if you have a good computer as a core and the network is working right, you should never get dropouts with Roon. Just should not happen.

I don’t know, how to find the model of my Mac, but it was not a terribly expensive one. Cheaper then the Mac it replaced. It has never been fast from day 1.plenty of spinning wheels of death from the beginning

I also didn’t mention my modem which is also a Netgear. It was the best one that worked with my cable company Charter spectrum last year. There was one better model that just came out but it was not excepted by Charter yet.

So, I could try switching to cheap Ethernet but as I added the better ones later and always had some drop outs before, probably not it. Seems, either a router setting or I need to try a Nucleus which would commit me to Roon.

Mac 21.5" late 2015.
2.8 Intel core I5
8 gb memory

Running Mojave

If this is your Mac, it’s not too bad. i5 processor, that’s good.
The biggest ‘problem’ is there is no SSD. Due to the importance of the Roon database, it really should be on a SSD where it can be accessed quickly. Yours will be on a spinning drive, so responsiveness will be slower.
Still doesn’t explain the dropouts, especially with JRIver. I wonder if there is some problem with the ethernet aspect of the Mac. The only way to really troubleshoot that is to swap out the Mac for another PC. If you only have one in the house, that’s not an option.

Download speed 112.1

Upload speed 11

I would have to download Roon to my wife or kids laptops and after how much it slowed the Mac, I doubt I’ll get any volunteers. Plus pretty sure you only get the one for trial

My stereo store doesn’t have a Nucleus in stock otherwise I’d be there today getting one. As much as I’d rather not spend $1400 plus the cost of Roon, if it fixed the mess, I don’t even care about the money at this point. I’m not going to be rich either way

To make things worse, pretty sure Bel Canto is doing away with their affordable, to me, line and I have been waiting for them to make an upgraded dac/preamp to go with their new last year, Roon ready streamer. Pretty sure it’s not going to happen, as they just came out with a new line that’s in between mine and the expensive stuff in price. I email them once a year and they always respond right away. I asked about this and was ignored.

My internet is 50 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. Roon never misses a beat (pun intended). I suspect a Nucleus or NUC will solve your problems if you decide to go with Roon.

If the computer is somehow the problem and it would seem so that it might be. I have replaced pretty much everything else leaving either the NAS, JRiver , or the computer. It seems Jriver can now be eliminated. So NAS or computer. The only confusing thing is that Amazon music doesn’t seem to drop out. I really don’t t use it enough to be sure, so I should probably run it all day and see. Amazon also runs on a usb dac so could work anyway and I just have an Ethernet issue with Mac as was suggested or something with the NAS, but I’m on my second one of them too and both dropped out

then what’s left, Go with Roon, or I could stick with jriver, and buy an Id. I think the Id basically runs jriver using Linux like a Nucleus or Nuc for Roon, but if I remember it’s only 2 or 3 hundred bucks so much cheaper. I’d have to look into that more.

Jriver is much cheaper. Upgrades each year for under $30. I never notice what was upgraded though to be honest. Is for $2-300.

Roon would means $1400, plus a $2-300 hard drive disc plus $120 a year or $700 lifetime. At $500 for a lifetime it made sense $700 makes you think.twice.

Is Roon worth all the extra money? Seems a lot of guys here believe so. I do like it, but if I used Tidal or Qobuz I think Roo n makes more sense over me just using it for music on a NAS. I really like the idea of getting off the computer though. But I then wonder if a Nucleus will have the same issues as computer since it kind of is a computer. Will it slow down and die in a few years like a computer? I hope not.

And then of course what if 2 years from now, there is something better then Roon? Some stuff I need to think about

Jriver Id $315, base. seems to be what the Nucleus is to Roon. Any opinions on this?

You can purchase a Roon Nucleus from somewhere that gives you a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Before the Roon black Friday sale, I was going to purchase one from Moon Audio. They offer 30 day return policy. A Nucleus works so much better than a computer because running Roon is all it does. Prior to the Nucleus I had moderate success running Roon on a very powerful Dell XPS 15 i7 with 32 GB of RAM. Your NAS is probably not helping the situation and may be part of the problem.

I’ll just add, if you order a Nucleus and hard drive, and pay $119 for one year of Roon, you can always return the Nucleus (within 30 days). All you’re really out is $119 because most people can always find a use for an extra SSD. Just buy a case for it and use it for backup’s or archives of your pictures, etc.

This was my plan before black Friday and the lifetime increase from $499 to $699 which I was able to avoid being in the 30 day window.

If you are sure you want to stay with JRiver and it fixes the problem, it makes sense.
Otherwise, it doesn’t.
Same with Roon/Nucleus.
If you haven’t decided on a software platform and/or aren’t sure it will fix the problem, buying hardware for either is economically not logical.

It might be if it’s the only way to solve the problem and you have an out just in case it doesn’t. As a matter of fact, you wouldn’t have to buy the SSD at first. Try the Nucleus with your NAS first.

Bottom line, I think the question that needs to be answered first is do you want to stick with JRiver or switch to Roon. Once you decide that, you can resolve the problems one way or the other.

Yeah. That’s the problem. I’m trying to enjoy Roo n but I really having a hard time when it messes up my computer so bad… Was done work at noon today so been listening all day home by myself. Maybe 2 quick drop outs. Now my wife is looking at router settings to change the setting that was recommended for the 47000 nether router( Mine is r8000) and music is stopping for long periods. This sucks

At the very least, if I pick Roon, it can’t stay on this computer. And worse case if I can never stop the drop outs which would be my luck, believe me, if I at least get jriver or Roo n off the computer and I never have to touch the computer again and only my tablet, I am still better off then before

I would really like to try Roon with Tidal or Qobuz, because I think it probably adds more to that then to my NAS music, but at this point, I don’t want to add anything else into the mix that probably won’t work right at this point.
My stereo store doesn’t have a Nucleus right now cause he just sold his only 2. talked with him tonight. Once he gets another, I will try it. Just hoping Roon trial doesn’t run out before then

What makes things even worse is that because Bel Canto is most likely discontinuing my line, I don’t even know what streamer to get as the plan was to get their newestone. Might have to change directions there too

Been digging in the back yard looking for buried treasure to pay for this all day. No luck

A Nucleus is your streamer. It will stream your local music plus Tidal and/or Qobuz. Just wait until your dealer gets one you can borrow and then sign up for one year of Roon. Your risk is $119 if you decide not to stay with Roon.

Try the Nucleus with your NAS. Go USB out from the Nucleus into your amp. If you decide to keep the Nucleus and Roon, purchase an SSD to install in the Nucleus for your music files or keep the NAS if it works for you.

Also, there is no such thing as luck. Get that out of your mind.

I agree with you, but a real streamer down the road will sound better and I am used to the sound of my old one. Don’t feel like the Node sounds quite as good

No, it will not sound better. It’s your DAC and speakers that matter.

No such thing as luck maybe but there is certainly a such thing as bad luck😂

You make your own luck by making good decisions and paying attention to details, etc. One think I am still confused about is can you go straight out of a Nucleus using USB into your amp. There has to be a DAC in there somewhere. If you keep the Node 2i as your DAC, I agree, it’s not the best. Might want to replace it someday. In that case, your Nucleus can send music to it over ethernet. Again, broken record, you can replace the Node 2i with a Raspberry Pi with USB out to your amp, but again, you need a DAC. Your system really has me confused.