World Cup 2022 lounge

I’m odd apparently, a world forum like this and no mention of the World Cup?

I can not be the only one here with the volume on my tv turned down listening to music and watching. Right?

US vs England.
w00t.

1 Like

It’s in a picture-in-picture window on my MacBook (content not captured):

I just had the dubious please of watching my home team lose 1-1 to Ecuador.

1 Like

Can’t disagree with the odd part Paul :joy:.
But I believe there is a sizable contingent in the moving and grooving thread getting into this.
I will post a link to this thread for them.

1 Like

Lacklustre performance from England. Still it was not a loss.

1 Like

From the US point of view it went reasonably well. Kane is a monster, thankfully Son wasn’t feeding him.

1 Like

My World Cup highlight so far - I knew the Welsh can sing, but apparently they can talk a bit too!

1 Like

Thanks @MamaTried. Saves me disrupting other topics. Dull game but makes the group very interesting going into the final games.

1 Like

@MamaTried I think everyone missed the fact this thread was here is the reason it was a bit quiet.

1 Like

I was going to start it a few days ago and wandered off . . .

It has been fun so far. I love watching the upsets. 2am and 5am game time here so I’m missing half daily.

My dad watched an entire 15 minutes before declaring it boring and back to golf. Because irony died at their front entry way. So it is growing in popularity it seems. :slight_smile:

The early games I am at work so miss them as well.

And that’s why I added the link to the moving and grooving thread as I knew there were interested parties hanging out in there.
Better than bread I guess :relaxed:

Oh, it’s great in the UK for someone like me in early retirement. It’s basically an excuse to say that i’m busy all day. I’m now squeezing in household duties between games.

first games are starting at 10:00am. Shower, chores, breakfast, football.
What’s not to like :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A golf iron(y) I guess.

1 Like

I live in Brasil. I couldn’t ignore the World Cup if I tried. I’m not a big football fan, but I have to watch just so I can relate to people.

4 Likes

So Mexico vs Argentina is up.

I’ll admit to not liking either team. Maradona’s handball of god was just too much for me. So long ago even.

1 Like

Hand of god episode Puts the proverb cheats never prosper into question

1 Like

Don’t shoot the messenger: while I appreciate the athletic abilities and teamwork, soccer is worse than watching paint dry. At least with paint you have a painted item. 0 - 0, 1 - 0, riveting action. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In your opinion. Which I have no problem with.
By the way, it’s football to the majority of the world, not soccer.
You may be surprised at how many people actually like to watch this sport.
No idea how many people globally are taking pleasure from watching paint dry!
Are there any stats available?

1 Like

It is pretty US centric, but the premise holds I hope.

It shows how rapidly the global interest in football is growing even now as it was reported that 3.572bn people watched the World Cup in 2018 which took place in Russia. That is more than half of the global population who are aged four or over.

The final between France and Croatia was watched by 1.12bn people globally. That is the most-watched World Cup to date but Qatar is set to beat it. Realistically, the 2026 World Cup will then beat that.

It is reported that at least 42 different countries are licensed to show the tournament, spanning from Canada to Liberia. The two places for fans in England to watch the World Cup are the BBC and ITV, which are both free to air. For those in Wales, S4C will be showing the games for free.

1 Like