[XL] Beta release: Plexamp!

Turns out it wasn’t a bad USB cable but rather:
If the USB>DAC cable is disconnected then reconnected the Pi doesn’t recognize the DAC again unless the Pi is rebooted.

I experimented using 3 different USB cables and 3 different DACs on each of the Pi’s USB ports and it’s reproducible every time.

Not sure if this is expected behaviour or not?
But now that I’ve got that figured out it’s working great.
Thanks again.

Thanks for PlexAmp support! Does this plug-in (add-on) support Hi-Res playback for PlexAmp? While playing 24bit/96khz file via RPi and USB DAC connected to it I can see only 44.1khz on display of my DAC. Is this problem somehow related to Plex Server config or it’s limitation for PlexAmp … something else? By the way, playing the same from Roon Server doesn’t have this problem…

While trying activate PlexAmp via http://ip-ropieee:32500 got this message - “No beta for you!” (screenshot). Tried in diff Browsers - the same… anyone got the same problems?

That’s because RoPieee still packs a beta release of Plexamp, which is not allowed for everyone.
I had planned switching to a stable version whenever I’m ready to release, but maybe I need to release an update to this RoPieee beta with a stable Plexamp release.

But is there any way to get authorized and get access to PlexAmp settings?

@spockfish, I’m seeing the same issue here. Does the PlexAmp service properly release the USB interface when it isn’t playing music back ?

And thank you for this. I hope you’ve let the PlexAmp crowd that this is now available.

not sure what that actually is.

I’ve got a Ropieee configuration with only USB out, so no separate HAT. Once PlexAmp has been active on the port, it doesn’t seem to release it, and Roon marks the endpoint as unavailable.

in a browser tab, go to the Plexamp web interface (hostname:32500) … for example, ropieee:32500 … you’ll need to log in with Plex (again) if you haven’t visited the web interface before

once you’re in … navigate to Settings > Playback > Audio Output … change the setting for Sample Rate Matching from “disabled” (the default) to “strict”

while you’re there, you can review and change other Playback settings for Plexamp … the defaults are best suited for a non-audiophile playlist use case … Sweet Fades, for example is a nice feature for a mixed playlist, but it requires use of one sample rate for the current and next tracks … when i’m feeling like an audiophile, i enable “strict” sample rate matching, and i disable fades, loudness leveling, and the limiter (i also increase the Network Speed limit under Playback > Caching … personal preference, but recommended especially if you have a lot of very high bitrate files)

regarding the audio device … Plexamp should release the audio device about 10 seconds after the queue is paused or stopped (stop = long press on play/pause icon) … is it not?

4 Likes

Thanks for the walkthrough !!!

I get the beta error others have reported, and can’t login. But for some reason, the interface now seems to release just fine. So, well…

Ah, spoke to soon - @spockfish, i’ve got a report for you at 96999af7051c3c16 .

The symptom on the Roon side was “failed to open audio device”. Tried casting from PlexAmp, and that worked. Roon then started working again, so I guess maybe something to do with sleep ?

But how are U able to see settings? I always got “No beta for you!”

Hi Harry, many thanks for this, I initialised the process last evening on one of the RPi 4’s and this morning all was good and after a little diversion all is up and running well.

i’m on their beta access list … they just switched over to closed beta, which is probably why some users here initially got in (most will not) … as indicated above by Harry, with a closed beta for Plexamp, the version included with RoPieee should switch to the public release channel … once that happens, it should work for all paid Plex users

I’ll release a beta update with a Plex stable version soon-ish.

4 Likes

I’ve released another beta update.

2 things:

• this one has a stable Plexamp version
  • due to caching and the required space I had to locate Plexamp to another place on the SD card

The last also requires you to do start from scratch and claim the device again. So directly after the update Plexamp will not work until you claim it again.

Thanks

PS.: we’re getting close to the release.

3 Likes

After this last update Plexamp playback stopped working for me, if I go to http://ropieee.local:32500/ and try to play something I get a “Couldn’t start playback” message. On the phone itself it plays fine but if I change the output to ropieee playback stops immediately.

I did the reclaim a few times but that didn’t change anything.

I had the same, U need to select PlexAmp like on the screenshot

FYI - HQPlayer NAA v4.5.0 was just released (no official announcement with list of changes/improvements yet, but the binaries/packages are available), in case there is still time to include it in upcoming release

1 Like

Thanks! Will do.