[XL] Beta release: Plexamp!

All,

I’ve just released a new beta build for both the Pi 3 and 4.
Quite a few changes, but the most visible one is support for Plex(amp).

And this is also the primary reason for the beta release: I’d like to have some feedback on the Plex functionality.

So how does this work?

As I wrote before, the Plexamp software has a rather complex way of authorizing a specific client to the Plex server. This is done via a so-called ‘Claim Code’, and the challenge is how you actually enter this claim code in the headless software. Especially considering RoPieee’s basic ‘rule’ that it should be doable without having the requirement to have studied computer science :wink:

Anyhow, in the end the Plex team also made a change that made it possible for me to do exactly that: you choose the output (HAT or USB), enter the claim code in RoPieee’s web interface, hit save and configure and it is running. So in the end I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, but I would like to hear how you experience it.

So… if you’re up to it, change your unit’s update channel to ‘beta’, wait for the notification, install it, test it and tell about your experiences.

Enjoy!

19 Likes

Up and running smoothly. Entered my claim code from Plex, rebooted, and Ropiee popped right up as a Plexamp endpoint. Thank you for this.

1 Like

Upgraded 3 pi4’s to 2023.05.1 (0988) [beta].
However after several reboots I don’t see anything Plex related in the three interfaces. I would expect it as an additional tab under Services.
I must be missing something.

Paul

I have the Plexamp tab in Ropieee but despite being an existing paid up user of Plex, I have no idea how or from where I generate the claim code to type into Ropieee.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

That version is the last stable one …

Claim code can be found on:

Maybe I should add a link to it in the webpage.

Yes, I think that adding that link would be helpful, thanks.

Plexamp now working for me - will test it out more and report back any issues.
The only one I’ve seen so far is the same one I see with Spotify Connect and have reported a couple of times before - available volume range for Plexamp and Spotify is capped at whatever was previously set in Roon. So if Roon was at 20% before playing Plexamp then Plexamp’s volume will only scale from 0 up to 20% when the application’s volume control is set at 100%.

Hi @spockfish , in this beta there is a little, but annoying, bug:
If in Advanced tab OFF is selected for Green Led the Red LED is always ON, while previously the Red LED too was OFF
Thanks

working well for me so far, feedback/questions on a few items …

entries for Plexamp in the RoPieee web interface don’t always sync with the corresponding fields in the Plexamp web interface (hostname:32500), and vice versa

agree, a link to the Claim | Plex site would help during initial setup

after initial setup from the RoPieee web interface, recommend displaying a link to Plexamp’s web interface, where users can control many additional device-specific Plexamp settings (most of these are under Settings > Playback)

Question : how will Plexamp version updates be handled in RoPieee? would it be possible to apply some updates (bug fixes that occur shortly after larger point releases, for example) without a RoPieee version update?

Where exactly do we enter the Plex claim code in RoPieee?

1 Like

Here

1 Like

Why would Plexamp not be showing under services? I changed my update channel to Beta and it shows I am currently running 2023.05.1 (0988) [beta]. I have rebooted a few times. No Plexamp under services. Did I miss a step? Thanks in advance!

Same over here.

Be patient … the beta is 2023.07 (1022)

1 Like

Oh ok. I have ‘auto update’ on so hopefully soon. Thanks!

Can you elaborate on this? I’m not sure what you exactly mean…

one example … if you change Player Name in the Plexamp web interface (Settings > Device > Player Name), the original entry for Service Name still shows in the RoPieee web interface

(vs the opposite direction … push a new Service Name from the RoPieee web interface, and the change will show in the Plexamp web interface)

it’s a minor thing, but would be nice to reflect/sync changes made from either interface

I’ve pushed out another build.

There’s now a button that brings you to the page where you need to get the claim code.

This has been fixed too. In the new kernel the leds have been renamed :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Edit: Never Mind.
I solved it.
I noticed Roon was no longer seeing RoPieee as well which led me to suspect an issue between the Pi and the DAC.
My new USB cable was wonky.
All good now. :sweat_smile:

2nd edit: Nope not a bad cable.
See my reply below.
All good now though.

Hi.
I’ve got this setup so Plexamp sees RoPieee

But when I start trying to play music from Plexamp on iPhone the now playing screen pops up for a moment and then closes.
If I try from Plexamp on MacOS the Plexamp app hangs on the Now Playing screen and music doesn’t play.

I’ve tried different USB DACs with the same result.

Settings as follows:

Thanks for this!