You and Roon: Monogamy or Polygamy?

It’s an wishlist from 2015. And no work that we can see. Not even a quote. Maybe in the roadmap but with no results.

Here’s @brian on Discogs for you just six weeks ago:

To be clear, we still plan to use their data at some point. It’s not off of the roadmap. But, especially in the metadata space where we have a lot of irons in the fire, we will always tend to prioritize things that deliver the most value/effort. The point I was making above is that the amount of value present is not huge–significantly smaller than I would have been led to expect based on the enthusiasm in the feature request.

This is in part because Discogs is a small data source, in part because the data is rather messy, in part because it lacks richness/depth and to some extent structure, and in part because it is so vinyl focused (which we are clearly not). The best thing they would do is cover some more releases of albums which we already have data for–this has some value for sure…it’s just not the panacea that Discogs fans sometimes make it out to be. So we are prioritizing it accordingly.

We did extensive exploratory work and prototyping with Discogs data before reaching this conclusion–I am not just shooting from the hip on this. If that exploration had yielded transformative results it would have been turned into finished product and released.

1 Like

I would love to use Roon as my one and only music player.

I have 95,000 tracks (mostly classical). However, I prefer Qobuz to Tidal for streaming. Qobuz aligns more closely to my musical tastes and, importantly provides the booklet with the album - indispensable when it comes to opera etc. When I want to stream using Qobuz, I use Bluesound. I have Bluesound speakers for casual listening in other rooms and a Bluesound Node connected to my main Hifi system - which I can bypass when I use Roon. Given the similarity of aims between Roon and Qobuz, it is a pity that a marriage between these too appears to be unlikely any time soon.

As a Roon lifetime member I would like to stay with Roon, but the missing services (Qobuz, Deezer, …) have “forced” most family members to switch back to solutions supporting these options. Just TIDAL - which is not my prime - is not enough to survive - and why are always the other partners not willing to cooperate?
I really like the RAAT protocol to use a mixture of devices, or to setup a device independent environment, but it looks like this is not enough to stay with Roon.
I’m not disappointed, it was/is a kind of a bet, for now it’s no win, but this might change in the future.
bye
Markus

Quite a thread …

i am definitely polygamous. I have been using JRiver since I digitized 7 years back, I bought a Audioquest Red and with that came a voucher for 6 weeks trial of Roon I took it.

Me & Roon is a love hate relationship , if you have seen any threads I have responded on you will tell

WHY …

The UI and experience is superb visually , my listening habit tended to be a remote plus Wikipedia , now its Roon

Classical coverage is the hate bit , JRiver quite simply knocks the spots off Roon when it comes to getting around a big classical collection (mine is approx 50k Tracks)

Roon & RAAT are next , NO DNLA …I have a Cambridge Audio CXN , not a Roon end point so I am stuck with Airplay 44.1 and subsequent transcoding or a hardware intervention if I want any Hi Res content (probably 15% of my library). Even Raspberry Pi is an option but it more hardware more wires etc

Tidal Integration is a plus , bit young at it yet (1st Month) so I am not sure yet how much I’ll use it and the CXN is promising Tidal SOON , so another decision point

I could go on

Bottom line is , I am 4 months into a year subscription and I’ll stick with it until then but the jury is very much out.

I still spend a fair amount of time managing the JRiver library to keep it current

If anything I suspect it will be JRiver to play it and Roon to read about it . Until classical stuff improves especially Box Sets the fact that I can customize my own views in JRiver goes a long way and will probably win the day.

I will probably keep both going . Somewhere on the forum i saw a comment like “Do the 2 week trial and then try to give it up” i agree.

Mike

@Mike_O_Neill can you use Jriver as the audio part for playback in Roon? I haven’t tried this but I see JRiver as a device in my audio settings…not tried as I have all my endpoints running RAAT via network devices and not defined in JRiver.

06 PM

Polygamy for sure. For one thing, Roon doesn’t support video and about 25% of my music “listening” actually includes concert footage. For another, Roon isn’t a media manager and one needs a ripper and tagger. Other than Tidal albums (and I am going to have a massive shopping list if the Roon-Tidal integration ever falters), I try to maintain parallel metadata in the files themselves.

I really enjoy Roon. But I do worry that they will have a lot of challenges surviving as an independent software company…either the business model won’t make it (despite my admiration for it) or it may succeed to the point that a large player will come along and duplicate it. This could be our golden age, who knows?

What’s next with the metadata irons?

1 Like

Polygamy because I am using Roon only for three weeks or so and I haven’t even been able to add my complete library. As of now I decided to

rip CDs with dbPowerAmp
tag all audio files (rips and download purchases) manually (as I always did) with mp3tag tool to make sure that all information is exactly the way I want to have it
use roon with “prefer information stored in files”

My whole family has to migrate to roon as well so the process of “roonification” will take some time. To make their lives easier I’ll keep the Sonos environment with the corresponding libraries up and running for some time. I will duplicate my library and make it work with Roon. At some point in the future (if all works as expected) I want to switch to Roon completely (but this decision also depends on Linn making their streamers Roon-Ready)

I

I know the ASIO driver is meant to work , but I too haven’t tried it yet.

To be honest at my age I am lucky if I’ll be able to tell the difference . I have my doubts about hi res for oldies…

I’ll give it a try and report back

Mike

I share the thought. I have only just started to look at Tidal and my initial thought was WOW but I am nervous about heading down a route that makes me dependent on a third party or several third parties.

I have been buying and collecting for years , not “having” the library worries me,

M
No matter how sound Roon And Tidal is I still worry a bit

I suspect there’s a bit of me that can’t stop collecting too

Mike

Me too. I like the fact that I can “buy” any CD that Tidal has right now for a fixed cost of the Tidal subscription. But I have to acknowledge that I am really “renting” and that I am reliant on the stability of two separate companies to maintain that. I found one title on Tidal that I liked so much I still bought the CDs, just because I wouldn’t want to “lose” that CD if the Tidal/Roon integration ended for any reason. I’ll probably do more of this, but at Ieast I can do it on my schedule right now, waiting for good bargains.

I wonder how many people use it as a try before yo buy service

I subscribe to Gramophone and it’s nice to read a review and nip to Tidal to quickly hear what the review is talking about with no real intention of purchase.

I think as long as I am aware of the possibility that it may disappear it has lots of potential

It also leans to monogamy with Roon as JRiver are very Anti Tidal. So far

Mike

1 Like

+1 … I am spending more time listening to my Nakamichi 582 than my Roon endpoint (Bryston BDP-1).

1 Like

I am new to Roon, but quickly became a lifetime member once it was apparent that it was the missing link to continued enjoyment of the digital music collection I have accumulated over 30+ years. Having said that, my polygamy continues:

Apple Music family subscription
SiriusXM +streaming
Sonos
Tidal
And most physical media purchases of late have been LP records

Mostly Roon now, however still use dBPowerAmp (ripping), USBAPP and Tidal (mobile), and rarely very foobar, jRiver when testing. Also Tidal sometimes to add artists and albums that don’t show up in Roon.

steps are allways the same here:

• dbpoweramp for ripping
  • tagscanner for scraping discogs and album art
  • Roon: and hope the albums get identified… especially vinyl rips are not recognised automaticly and require lots of manual checking

tidal app is used on the road…

• dbpoweramp for ripping
  • mp3tag for tagging cleanup/editing
  • PerfectTunes for post-rip AccurateRip testing and artwork cleanup
  • Roon - playback (my own albums only plus internet radio)
  • LMS - playback (wife uses, podcasts, Spotify, use at location with no internet, etc.)
  • foobar2000 - playback on office computer
  • Spotify - on the road and testing out new albums
  • XLD for CD ripping (AccurateDB) or transcoding from HDTracks or Qobuz
  • MakeMKV (DVD, BD) and DVD Audio Extractor (DVD-A, DVD, BD) for high-res ripping
  • Metadactics for tagging, clean-up, art work
  • FLAC library for Sonos (home-wide) and Walkman (traveling, at the cabin)
  • XLD transcode to AIFF for iTunes import
  • Doug’s Scripts for classical work/movement tagging, specific to iTunes
  • Roon Server on Mac Mini at home w/ iTunes library on NAS
  • Bluesound (Node 2i) at work w/ iTunes library on a second NAS
  • Spotify - in my car (w/ Android Auto)