You and Roon: Monogamy or Polygamy?

Apple’s equivalent of VSTs. Needless to say this isn’t in the plans anymore.

What is VST?

Does DS Audio support playlists that are imported into Roon? I don’t want to manage playlists twice. Also using/buying a third device for mobile syncing seems a bit exaggerated for me, especially as I’m thinking of buying a NUC with ROCK. Then I would have four devices. :crazy_face:

To come back to the central question of this thread…

I LOVE Roon and it’s the audio player I use 90% of the time. However, I also have Amarra, Audirvana and Decibel.

In other contexts, I’m a strong believer in monogamy, though…:wink::joy:

(P.S. No, my better half isn’t standing right behind me…)

Roon is my default music player for local files
though… as a Qobuz subscriber I must use Lightning DS to stream from the Aries

I also have Audirvana+ still installed on my Mac mini but… I only launch it now then when it gets an update and quit it right afterwards :smile:

I already had a diskstation NAS. It can be used for storage for your ROCK NUC or as a backup. Playlists I have set up in DS Audio work in Roon. Haven’t tried going the other way. I am not a big playlist listener. Most always albums.

V Roon and I are still dating

If I decide to buy it will be as a polygamist

Here are 3 uses cases that describe what I am trying to do. Sadly I am not sure if I can do this with or without roon - advice requested

Use case 1
Home stereo
Roon- like playback across both tidal and library bias toward lossless if avail
Easy add change del of playlists like Sonos
Playlist auto or easily shared with apple devices for playback while offline
Apple devices use lossy to save space

Use case2
iPhone etc
Play from same playlist and music choices as Home stereo

Use case 3
Library curation
2 libraries option - 1 facing apple lossy and 1 for home stereo mostly lossless
Single library - mostly lossless but auto downgraded sync to apple devices
Need way to import iTunes playlists
Portability - all playlists cleanly exportable to m3u with references to existing library and tidal if applicable

If roon ever allows true export of playlists only I think roon plus MediaMonkey to sync to apple devices would be the ticket

Polygamy here.

• good old analog tuner is often in service (simpler to operate than any computer based system)

• I very recently discovered the brilliant wtfplay Linux distribution, which is exactly the opposite of Roon (ms-dos like file player on a standalone computer with no ethernet connection) but offers very good SQ when used with wav files. I plan on using it in addition to Roon, as one would use a really good CD player or Turntable in addition to computer streaming

• occasionally Spotify streaming to my Roon endpoint.

Unfortunately I can’t commit entirely in to Roon because of Greek Music. Very few albums are recognized and I have to search to find the other. Since the developers don’t want to implement a file browser or a Discogs collaboration I use also Jriver.

Are you not able to use file based metadata? I’ve got some Greek music in my collection but go on artist name, anglicised album name and album cover. I’m not aware of any metadata source counting Greek music.

I have them with file metadata but it’s not complete. Discogs has a lot of Greek Music. When I tag my CD’s it’s my main source. It also have a lot of releases like vinyl, CD and cassette.

I’d like to have them as Roon intended. With artwork, tags etc. Now I have to do it manually. And some releases now have greeklish instead of Greek. So I can’t do a proper search when I don’t know how it’s stored.

More polygamous now after a couple of years of faithfulness. I added a Bluesound Node 2 and it is pretty easy just to stay in that UI. It does Tidal a little differently including access to Tidal radio and it is nice to have a non-fussy way to play Tunein.

Got a fair bit of that as well. I grew up surrounded by Greek as a kid but my folks didn’t make us learn Greek. Pity. When search in discogs are you searching Greeklish or Greek?

Of course in Greek. Always in my mother Language.

For example. Right now I look at https://www.discogs.com/Manos-Hadjidakis-100-%CE%A4%CF%81%CE%B1%CE%B3%CE%BF%CF%8D%CE%B4%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CE%97%CF%87%CE%BF%CE%B3%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%86%CE%AE%CF%83%CE%B5%CE%B9%CF%82-1955-1972/release/6081723

The names in Roon is mixed. Half Greek, half gibberish. And I look at the tag in Tag&Rename and it’s all Greek. No gibberish.

I had no idea discogs has Greek content in Greek. Have you tried setting Roon to use only your metadata for your Greek albums?

There are a lot of Greek albums. I don’t know how many but definitely over 1000. So it’s very difficult to choose every single one.

Search by artist and select. Pick up any stragglers separately.

If loving my reel to reel tape player is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.

6 Likes

Where did you read this?