You Can't Put A Quart Into A Pint Pot

i Use A Samsung GALAXY VIEW 18inches battery power and mains can sit on your lap and wih 18 inches screen is better than trying to use 27 powered which i also tried

I agree that the bigger screen is better. But I’m annoyed by the fact that my Android phone works much better than my 10.5" tablet. The tablet is a Dell Chromebook, but unlike the phone, it takes over a minute to load Roon. Sometimes, it doesn’t load at all and I have to re-boot or re-start Roon to make it work. This is very annoying, but once working, the bigger screen is a joy to work with. I’m not sure if the Roon application or the computer itself or the OS is the problem, but I wish Roon would work better on my tablet.

I am very satisfied with the performance delivered via a 1st Generation iPad Pro 12.9. Very nice that I have it mounted on a repurposed B&O stand with a Vesa Rotating mount for landscape/portrait viewing options. It is within arms reach from my listening chair and since it is on a stand it can be operated with one hand while sipping a cup of Joe.

5 Likes

No doubt if you afford it the ipad pro 12.9 is the way to go the screen is wonderful

2 Likes

As others mentioned, the 12.9” iPad Pro makes a great Roon controller.

1 Like

I have to agree. I recently purchased a Samsung galaxy tab s7 plus and the interface is so much cleaner than on my previous 10in tablet :blush::blush:
Well done roon I say, and well done John Darko for pointing this out

What then is the answer?

Easy spend 900 quid on an ipad purely to control roon.

1 Like

A richer, more flexible, more configurable, more powerful, more useful interface. Better ways of organising and searching.

1 Like

As a side note, I think for optimal user experience one can go too large with a touch screen. As an point of use experience I simulated how I would use my 27 inch widescreen monitor In my office setup as a touch screen for Roon. So instead of using the trackpad I used my right hand to go through a typical use of Roon, this includes music selection and manipulation, such as volume adjustment, track skipping and searching. After a short period I found to much discomfort in reaching across long distances to perform various operations. The experiment quelled my desire to entertain the option of a touch screen much larger than probably 17 inches.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Anyone have experience using the iPad Mini as a remote? I’m thinking of grabbing one when the new version is released.

I have a older iPad mini that I used for a while as a remote. Functionality, the only limitation was that landscape mode is the only option to use as a remote.

!st Gen pros can be usually found for under $300.00.

That works. I’m hoping the new models are more edge to edge like the iPad Airs.

Try the Spotify iPhone app to see how slick, quick, usable, and attractive a phone app can be. Search for an artist; get top tracks! So obvious!
I have to have to use Spotify to find things and input them exactly in to Roon to find what want. No top tracks is unforgivable.
No need for reading glasses with Spotify, but Roon…get out the readers. Type in Christmas into Spotify and get a ton of nicely differentiated playlists. Try that in Roon and get…I dunno wtf.

If you need to add a bunch of functionality, then have a swipe or pop down menu, and increase the font size please.

My iPad mini 2 works great as a Roon remote. :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Not organizing by last name makes the ex-record store employee in me itchy. :sweat_smile:

UI’s are so personal, just like functionality in general. No app pleases everyone, no app has all the functionality for everyone and on and on it goes. I mean users on every thread on every forum, everyday go back and fourth discussing and usually arguing their way is right…

Using a phone app as ones main UI / controller for their main listening system, not really IMHO. Sure it can be used, but its really for quick and dirty “play” etc… Kitchen, sure. Not really meant to dig in and view feature sets - IMHO.

I loath spotify’s interface with a passion, cant stand it. Literally want to through my phone every time I use it - IMHO. My point, its all relative to each users environment, how they interact with said app etc… It’s impossible to please or address everyone’s unique workflow and setup.

Why do you subscribe to Spotify if you loath it and want to throw your phone? There’s many other music services and even two that work with Roon.
Your protest sounds disingenuous to me.
You didn’t say what about Spotify is irritating to you. Is it the straight forward and clean design? Is it the readable fonts, is it the mini videos that play during every song, is it the accurate and useful search results? What’s so irritating? You can’t see the signal path map? Or what?

I use spotify for the family plan mostly but use it for mobile/car and discovery. My kiddos wouldn’t do well with qobuz, roon etc…Its not their thing so to speak. I don’t stream in my rig and not particularly a streaming fan (at least with the current model) for various reasons.

Not disingenuous at all, not sure why it would come across that way (thus the IMHO) My main point was just the vast difference with regard to how individual preferences vary so much. I think people get used to a certain workflow or a certain look and when that deviates or changes and you have to learn a new way, people tend to get uncomfortable, even unhinged in some cases.