Your favourite albums?

RoonShareImage-637308860874225460
Just incredible!

6 Likes

Only 15 in my collection, so far…:+1:t3:

1 Like

Another fan!!! I really enjoy Russ Freeman’s playing, the guy really know how to play! Plus he’s an unbelievable composer!

Cheers!

Agreed, Russ plays some stunningly good guitar & composition is varied. Unfortunately he does occasionally release a Solo album under “The Rippingtons” name and they can be a little, comparatively speaking, bland due to too much “automation.”
That said, I’m still buying them…

Probably my second favorite album. My wife and I saw them live in Columbia, SC in 1973.

RoonShareImage-637309305620209487

6 Likes

I agree there. I listened to a solo effort from Russ the other day, and it was underwhelming compared to the full combo! I know he has played with different “mechanics” or band mates over the years…but still manages to keep coming up with stellar albums. I’ll bet you I have played their latest album a couple hundred times and I still cannot get enough. Pretty good that their latest effort is so good, demoing their staying powers after creating music since the mid-80’s!!!

1 Like

Jim,

I am huge Chicago guy…seen them many times going back to the Terry Kath and Peter Cetera days. Great music and great lyrics. Only long-time fans know their original name of Chicago Transit Authority…

Great album you picked!

1 Like

I stopped listening after Terry Kath died. They got too mellow for me.

Probably the most listened to album in my collection.

It’s a masterpiece.

8 Likes

The title track takes a while to get off the ground. Then the bass drops and you are submerged. I have had friends drop what they were doing and turn around with mouths open - spellbound.

6 Likes

Beautiful music, but all the more haunting when you know the backstory:

https://www.lostsongsofstkilda.com

RoonShareImage-637345002760604140

2 Likes

4 Likes

Yes… well same… :rofl:

I used to see them in those outer suburban pubs (names forgotten) in Melb I guess roughly a year or so later than this album - perhaps more Head Injuries time, maybe not & I started seeing them with this release.

However, I was still in High School…it was a case of a friend’s older bro taking us kinda thing. One gig stands out & I can envisage the pub…it will come to me by the time I finish here…Aaaah the Burvale it was called (perhaps around Bulleen way); the pub was on a major corner around that sort of way (gosh it was so long ago)…

Anyway…all I’m trying to say it was the thrill of my life at the time to see Peter Garrett leaving the venue in his Mini Minor or perhaps Morris Cooper - way too big for that car & seemingly hunched over, otherwise he’d hit the roof.

If I recall correctly the support band was The Benders or Debrah Conway’s band of some description. How I remember her is simply 'cause she was a neighbour of one of my mates that came to that gig!

1 Like

Would love to listen to this, but I’ve apparently found yet another hole in the Qobuz catalogue - which seems to raise its head far too many times (artist having a specific album not available on Qobuz) :unamused:

Joan sings about wanting to hook up, hooking up, and walking home after a hook up –

Laugh to think of the surprised evangelicals who bought the CD solely on the basis of her MTV bit.

4 Likes

‘Man in the Long Black Coat’ just awesome!

1 Like

The score here doesn’t comprehensively reflect how great this album is.

4 Likes

Don’t be swayed by the crowds. I have many albums that speak to me that aren’t all that highly rated.

3 Likes

Yeah. In my mind, this is one of the best post-Beatles if not British albums of all time. Yeah. I said it.

1 Like

9 Likes