Your favourite albums?

Yeah I got the 1986 CD after reading something over on Hoffmann.

1986 CD

2004 CD

I find Musicscope the best way to look at it and the 1986 certainly has more dynamic range but the 2004 which doesn’t ever go above the red 0 line (the figures verify this the graph looks as if it might) usually sound pretty good. I must give a listen again but I remember that on any day I could prefer one over the other, both are nice masterings.

25th Anniversary

A hugely flattened range here and a much lower DR value.

Mastering is the key, forget all other numbers or acronyms.

.sjb

2 Likes

Just checked my copy and it is a European 1986 CD release.

I have the same version as you.
Is there a supposed super definitive version?

I don’t listen to it often, but it’s an album I have very fond memories of.

I have not checked the database that John provided but I think the 86 one is not supposed to be terrible…

1 Like

All of the CDs up to and including the 1996 version are pretty good and a wash on DR, the 2012 legacy vinyl is also good. From 2004-> the CDs get progressively dodgier but @Sloop_John_B says the 2004 one sounds pretty good so. I’ve taken a look as I have no idea what I had/ripped and the CD is in an attic. Looks like an 86 CD:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Analyzed: Graceland /  Artist: Paul Simon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR      Peak    RMS     Duration        Title [codec]
 DR15    -0.12 dB        -17.51 dB      3:58    01 - Boy In The Bubble   [flac]
 DR14    -2.02 dB        -19.41 dB      3:14    10 - All Around The World Or The Myth Of Fingerprints    [flac]
 DR14    -1.59 dB        -18.60 dB      2:52    10 - That Was Your Mother        [flac]
 DR13    -1.25 dB        -17.68 dB      4:50    02 - Graceland   [flac]
 DR15    -0.59 dB        -18.25 dB      3:12    03 - I Know What I Know          [flac]
 DR13    -2.34 dB        -18.89 dB      2:43    04 - Gumboots    [flac]
 DR16    -0.14 dB        -20.02 dB      5:48    05 - Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes          [flac]
 DR16    -0.14 dB        -18.33 dB      4:40    06 - You Can Call Me Al          [flac]
 DR14    -1.03 dB        -20.42 dB      3:37    07 - Under African Skies         [flac]
 DR14    -2.69 dB        -23.23 dB      3:48    08 - Homeless    [flac]
 DR14    -1.10 dB        -20.29 dB      4:17    09 - Crazy Love Vol 2    [flac]
 Number of files:    11
 Official DR value:  DR14

Sampling rate:                  44100 Hz
 Average bitrate:                785kbs
 Bits per sample:                16 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16
==============================================================================================

Sadly musicscope is no more as software but this FOSS tool seems to use the sam alg and my Track 10 metadata looks dodgy.

2 Likes

I looked at the charts and they All looked the same on my phone :grin::roll_eyes:

1 Like

ICE ICE BABY !!!

RoonShareImage-637560738892404859

I love the quite intensity of Adem’s debut album Homesongs. I think it’s a hidden gem of an album. It was recorded late at night whilst his family slept upstairs and this, along with the beautiful recording, give it a magical quality.

(available on Qobuz, don’t know about Tidal)

I was listening to some early Supertramp and it reminded me that I need talk about their finest hour.
I think I literally wore two copies of this out on vinyl and have recently replaced it with a very nice Mofi version that is superbly mastered.
While it is full of great tracks the title track is the standout for myself and even after all these years it can still raise goosebumps.
Piano has never sounded as good to my ears as the usage of it on this cut.
Time to pull this one out the shelf’s, dust it down and give it an airing.
Enjoy!

15 Likes

A true classic for sure, and one of my favourite albums - although I think it was released in '74?

Correct but the mfsl release was 1978, you can see it is 1_005 so only the fifth album mofi released in their now I think 500 plus catalog.

1 Like

Fair enough!

1 Like

It’s easy to think Van’s best albums were in the 70s but there are so many gems in his catalogue. This is a great example from 1997, Van with a pep in his step, in love, but still annoyed on some tracks. I just love Fire in the Belly, where the 3-4 line piece starting with “you” always brings a smile to my face, it so brings back memories of love in its initial stages.

Van Morrison - The Healing Game.

.sjb

11 Likes

A beautiful album by a virtuoso musician. I listen to it every few months and find new things to enjoy each time.

7 Likes

Kevin,

I love these guys! I have seen them live three times and the first time was the best! It is recorded well and so many great hits on this album! I even think the piano and drums can serve as a reference for some great comparisons of different kit!

1 Like

I agree Larry.
And Crime of the Century track is one of my reference pieces when I am trying out new kit.

1 Like

Hey it’s June already…wow!
Well must be time for a new favorite album then.
This one was a tough decision for my favorite pomp rock outfit.
The Grand Illusion or Paradise Theater?
Both excellent but the deciding vote came because I saw Styx live on the Paradise Theater tour so there you go!
Enjoy!!

4 Likes

Oh it’s June already! Here’s another favourite that gets a lot of play time. Actually 2 albums from same band.

image image

5 Likes

I was around where they came from for a while, including at that time - they were known locally as Snooze Control :laughing:.

4 Likes

Better out than in , my old ma always used to say!

But I agree totally that the last thing I really want to listen to is the Cuckoo Waltz remix or the Flying Haggis mix of a song I have already just listened to in its original unmolested form!

I feel your pain!

1 Like