Your favourite albums?

In a similar vain to the Talk Talk album I recommended earlier, this is one of those haunting albums for late night listening that sounds fabulous.
Miss De Biasio’s vocals are truly haunting and the instruments sound marvellous, especially the array of different drums. Very highly recommended.

10 Likes

When you have something on repeat 24/7 for over three days already, doesn’t the question pretty much answer itself…? :wink: Since 1997 I pretty much limited myself to her Cole Porter Songbook, perhaps also the Gershwin and Ellington Songbooks, but although I played all of her Songbooks, it wasn’t until this week that this one really kicked in.

Just listen to #2 (“A Fine Romance”)… the way the Nelson Riddle Orchestra kicks in! No synth can even approach this today… (yawn, old soul talking here, born way after this was recorded…;-))

8 Likes

Just listening to this, sounds very promising. Good call.

.sjb

If I can be so bold to add another criterion, that the album is available on Tidal.
This is a thread for sharing great music and being able to access that music is a worthwhile addition to the “rules”.

.sjb.

1 Like

I spent an inordinate amount of time this month listening to Miles Davis ‘The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions’… Every time is like the first time… and I have listened many, many times over the years.

Lila Downs - Tree of Life - “Semilla De Piedra”

I’ve played this track a thousand times.

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne,
Just downloaded ‘No Deal’ - another great album!
Cheers,
Paul

1 Like

All her other albums are good Paul, especially Blackened Cities which is a single 24 minute track

2 Likes

Just listening to ‘Blackened Cities’ now, great track!

2 Likes

I’m not subscribed to Tidal (so no idea if the following album is available there).

Gordon Giltrap: Perilous Journey

http://giltrap.co.uk/images/cds/cds-GG_Perilous_Journey_small.jpg

I bought it on vinyl when it was released in 1977 and again on CD.

The track ‘Heartsong’ was used as a theme tune for a travel programme on BBC Television and also nominated for an Ivor Novello Award.

The album was remastered in 2013.

Highly recommended!

3 Likes

Tool: Ænima

Released in 1996

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/Aenima.jpg/220px-Aenima.jpg

Triple platinum album dedicated to stand-up comedian Bill Hicks who had died 2.5 years earlier.

8 Likes

Elizabeth Shepherd ‎– The Signal

https://img.discogs.com/5xowEVMasKVtqX5ph7WRDrLLiVc=/fit-in/600x542/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-7231946-1457386897-8514.jpeg.jpg

Found her via Miss De Biasio… Elizabeth Shephard has very nice soothing sounds plus her own approach to jazz… Refreshing. Can’t count anymore how many times I listened to The Signal.

1 Like

Wow! I almost forgot about this one! You just made me flashback to highschool!

I searched for Tool, but Roon can’t find the artist in Tidal? That’s the first time that’s happened to me. :thinking:

Nope, no Tool on Tidal. Not on Spotify, either. There are still a few holdouts - King Crimson is another. Steven Wilson kept his catalogue off of streaming services for a long time, but he has recently made most of it available. Some of his releases with Porcupine Tree still aren’t available because of record label contract issues (surprise?!). Wilson was interviewed about his change of heart and said that after Prince’s death, he realized how difficult it was to help other people discover Prince’s music with modern-day discovery tools (no pun intended, see first line of post) like Spotify and YouTube because of the ridiculously tight control Prince kept over his catalog. Wilson realized that if the goal of a musician is for people to hear his music, it needs to be available where people look. It was an interesting interview from a musician I admire greatly, on a few levels. If I can find a link, I’ll post it. Cheers!

3 Likes

Really disappointed to read that Tidal doesn’t have the band Tool… they’re really missing out!

I’m afraid I don’t use Tidal and, years ago, had to buy the album “blind” but so glad I did!

Also, their next album ‘Lateralus’ is brilliant.

2 Likes

Terry Callier - Lookin’ Out
In my opinion a must hear for all Folk and Jazz fans.
I love that album.

6 Likes

Any Partridge Family album !!

Both these albums are in my All Time Favs list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

10 Likes