YouTube: Kind of Blue

There is a good and concise description of Modal vs. Melodic composition that characterized Kind of Blue.

Uhh… Do you have a link perhaps ? This seems like an odd topic without one, not much to discuss in that case :slight_smile: .

I do agree that it’s a nice (and perhaps best known) example of modality in composing. I don’t personally like it that much per se, but that’s just an opinion.

I like my music to ‘resolve’ at some point in time. Very late, please. But how late exactly… don’t know, that’s the taste part I guess :slight_smile: .

Kind of blue and similars are just leaving me waiting : where the heck is this going ? Is all going to end well, or perhaps even better: are we ending in eternal regret-pain-InsertOtherNegativeEmotion-Here ? Please song, don’t leave me waiting for your answer ?!

Probably just my own opinion, free of any worth or value :).

1 Like

I was surfing YouTube where my wife and I find music explained or instruments discussed. There are many Kind of Blue videos. If you have a need for music to resolve, modal jazz would likely be unpleasant. The discussion does an excellent job of discussing how Miles Davis et al broke from tradition by not having the same outcome but “always knowing where home is.”

In either case, we found it interesting and felt others may also. I do not recall which video it was.

Hmmm, seems a bit pointless to tell us about it if you can’t remember which video it was.

2 Likes

Understood. There are of course many more possible resolutions, then ‘knowing where home is’. I actually don’t generally like that solution ;).

Nonetheless : this is just taste. And it’s great that everyone has their own, I believe.

I really don’t dislike modal jazz (or whichever genre,) in general ! I like to think of it as explorers. What is possible, what is not, and how much tension can we take ? It opens the door for other musicians if you asked me.

It just feels like a movie with and open end to me. It does not satisfy me. Like a person babbling continually, without ever coming to conclusions.

Again: just opinion, have your own please. And : not much value of discussion, without knowing which YouTube movie you’re referring to :wink: .

1 Like

There is a series of YouTube videos where a classically trained flutist watches Ian Anderson play. I think she refers to his group as “Yethro Tool” but I may be misremembering. While she clearly does not prefer his style, nor his music, she is fascinated by what he does, how he is self-taught and his “utter abandon” when playing. Perhaps it is akin to not caring for show tunes but liking how music is used in Westside Story. BTW, this video is not the theme but that Miles Davis brought modal jazz to an audience in 1959.

With regard to the flutist, she likes to emulate what he does but is appalled at how his mishandles his instrument (brief inappropriate thought, and I am back). Her flute to her is a substantial financial investment, but to him, it is simply the cost of a production.

Does he know what modes are? Likely. Did he like Miles Davis? Perhaps. (BTW, Anderson recorded Bouree after a year of self-taught flute).

You might be referring to this video:

There are two more about Jethro Tull on her channel.

1 Like

Yes, that is her. The distance between classical and rock is very large although Hendrix was moving into jazz at the time of his death. Santana appreciated jazz.

My daughter’s flute teach was shown (by me) Ian Anderson vocalizing in his flute. He was fascinated, not necessarily appreciative, and when she (daughter) met with Ian Anderson, it was not all that interesting to her teacher.

BTW, I do not know which YouTube caught my interest in discussing modal jazz, this one covers much of the same ground

modes

I think I liked “Yethro Tool” better! Good name for a cover band.