Absolutely nothing works

Where is support? Where is your phone number?

Hmmm. A little bit more of a description of your setup etc might enable people to suggest some solutions to your problem.

Have a read of this thread to give you a few more hints as to what Roon needs to know.

Well, if I had a set-up, my problems would mostly disappear. When I start Roon, it’s as if I have never used it. Clicking on any option, either via desktop or iPad, all that appears is a little dancing Roon icon. Absolutely nothing works. My password is even screwed up. If I set up a new one, I can log in via the Roon site, but cannot log in to Roon itself. If I change that password, I can’t log into the Roon site. Etc.

Some more info:
—Roon version is 1.3 (build 262) stable (64 bit). The comment says, "You have the latest version installed.
—My subscription shows up as current on the Roon website, renews 4/2020.
—Computer is an iMac, 2013 or 2014, iPad is less than a year old.
—Computer cannot find iPad, iPan cannot find computer, both are on and connected to the same wi-fi.
—Clicking on “…use this Mac to manage…” (which I shouldn’t have to do because it’s already set up), it asks for a password, but won’t accept the current password.

Absolutely nothing works.

This is the first post of this kind I’ve seen on the forum, which I’ve been a member of since the early days of Roon, so I’ve got to think it’s something about your setup or the way you set it up. Let’s give @support a shout.

I would gladly give support a shout if I could figure out how to find them. Telephone? Chat?

I’ve already drawn their attention to this thread by using @support

1 Like

Thank you very much. Standing by…

Hi @Norm_Gibb ---- Thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles here.

Moving forward, to help us understand what could be going on with your Roon setup, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

• My assumption is that this configuration (iMac Roon core + iPad Roon remote) was stable at one point. Have there been any changes made to your setup, prior to experiencing the reported behavior? Remember, no detail is too small.

• Can you please use the following instructions and upload us a set of logs from the mentioned iMac:

1. Open Finder and click “Go” in the top bar.
  2. Hold down the Alt key to unhide the “Library” folder.
  3. Click the “Library” folder.
  4. Find and open the Roon folder (or RoonServer, if applicable).
  5. Right click the “Logs” folder, then select ‘Compress Logs’.
  6. Please be sure to include your Roon username in the package title, and upload it here using the word alpha for both the username and password.
  7. Let us know when the transfer has completed and we’ll have a look.

ADDITIONAL DATA GATHERING…

• Please describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are currently making use of.

• While this may seem elementary, since noticing this issue have you tried rebooting…

• Your iMac hosting Roon?

• Your router along with any networking hardware that you are implementing?

-Eric

Thanks, Eric, will do.

Package has been uploaded and contains 2 items: Logs (2).zip and ReadMe.rtf

Tnx,
Norm

Hi @Norm_Gibb ---- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that your logs have been received and are in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff.

Once my report is updated and I passed back I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor.

Furthermore, have you had a chance to review my other questions?

1. My assumption is that this configuration (iMac Roon core + iPad Roon remote) was stable at one point. Have there been any changes made to your setup, prior to experiencing the reported behavior? Remember, no detail is too small.

2. Please describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are currently making use of.

3. While this may seem elementary, since noticing this issue have you tried rebooting…

• Your iMac hosting Roon?

• Your router along with any networking hardware that you are implementing?

-Eric

Eric,

Oops, I did fail to answer you queries. Sorry.

1. Yes, it worked flawlessly. There have been no setup changes since I used it last spring.

2. iMac computer running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, iPad Pro, will update to iOS 11.0.3 at first opportunity, could remotely control from iPad via Apple Extreme (0x14E4, 0x111) wi-fi network. MacOS has been updated since Roon’s most recent use last spring. I will generally use it just twice a year, spring and autumn.

3. Everything has been rebooted and I will do so again after this message.

Norm

Hi @Norm_Gibb ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, I must admit that I am bit unclear on one of the data points in your most recent post. When describing your network configuration/topology, you make mentioned of an Apple Extreme. Is this the only networking device currently in your setup? I am trying to have a clear understanding of how your devices communicating and what “tools” (router, switches, extenders, etc) are being used to make these connections possible.

-Eric

Hi @Norm_Gibb ---- Touching base with to see how things were going. Any new observations or progress made here?

Furthermore, based on the traces found in your logs by our techs it appears that there are multiple DNS errors appearing, which indicates that the machine hosting your core is unable to reach our serves. Are you having any issues connecting to the internet or other websites?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

We have two Wi-Fi networks.

Our internet service, due to lack of viable options, is delivered via telephone land line. The signal is disseminated via phone system router. The Airport Extreme, which is more centrally located than the router, receives the router’s signal via ethernet. Wi-Fi network #1 is the default cyber source for the iMac.

Wi-Fi network #2 is also handled via Airport Extreme and is the default cyber source for the iPad. Why am I doing it this way? Several reasons which will take far to long to explain.

Suffice to say either device, iMac or iPad, can use either Wi-Fi network. And both can share either network, and do when I run Roon. The iMac is the juke box, the iPad functions as controller, but playback can be controlled from the iMac as well.

I only use Roon (so far) spring and fall because a group of my friends come to my house twice a year for Music Nite. [full disclosure: although Music Nite ends after dark, it actually begins in the afternoon] For years, everyone brought their CDs, LPs, and 45s, I queued them in sets of 3 or 4 tracks, and manually played each in its appropriate device. Beginning last spring, though, everyone organized tracks into their own set lists and sent me their music lists to me. After obtaining the tracks via Tidal, iTunes, Discogs, or the local record stores, I organized everything in Roon in advance. It was nearly flawless. Except for our friend whose sets all consisted of 8-minute songs. We did 95 tracks in less than 8 hours, including discussion, tenderloin sandwiches, and a beer now and then.

Now it’s fall. The group will be here Saturday, so I fired up Roon this morning with plenty of time to spare (I thought) and it just won’t work.

5:50pm CDT Tuesday: The story below happened last evening, but I couldn’t send this message “you have exceeded…wait 10 hours.” Now I’m back home and will send. Just now opened Roon again and it still seems OK.

Update
I did restart both devices as you suggested, but no change. HOWEVER, thought I would give it one more try before I sent this and Voila! Well, sort of.

I tried one more time and reset my password one more time and tried to log in. The little Roon logo huffed and puffed and breathed away until I tired of watching it. Had a phone call, sorted some of the garden produce I had picked earlier, and watched the promo for the Astros - Yankees game on tv. When I remembered the huffing-puffing logo and returned to the computer, there was a red notice saying “Failure to Log In” or something similar. But I was logged in!!! It appears everything is there from last April.

The iMac and iPad haven’t found one another yet, but I should be able to make something happen now that I’m finally allowed inside to play. (Note: I did get them to “shake hands” by temporarily turning Firewall off."

Sorry, I have not proofread, but I want to fiddle with this thing before it disappears again,

Norm

Hi Eric,

I sure the message sent a few minutes ago, which was entirely about events that occurred yesterday is nothing if not confusing.

Here’s my take. It was all some sort of password snafu. For some reason, your website and the software were treating me as two different people. When a password worked on the website, it would not work on the software. Whenever I opened Roon, the screen was the same as when I first downloaded the software. I could navigate from the software to the website, log in, and see my account. When I moved back into the software, it did not recognize me as logged in, nor would it accept the same password. Finally, after once more doing a new password, it logged me in, but only after grinding away for a very long time.

Oh well,
Norm

Hi @Norm_Gibb ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated!

I wanted to touch base with you and see how have things been holding up? It is possible that this behavior could be related to switching between WiFi networks. If you want to give us some more details , in regard to this configuration (network configuration/topology and all the networking hardware you have in place) we can try to determine where this issue manifested itself.

Let me know.
-Eric