Build 234 stops every few minutes

Same setup, build 234 does not seem to be able to get through track without stopping. Restarted Mac mini (4 core i7) and NAS. Playing any track stops after an initial 5 minutes or so, and then stops after a bit when restarted. Same behavior from all remote devices as well as roon running on the core machine. Please advise.

Hi @Ross_Frank ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior may I kindly ask you to provide the following:

1. Just to confirm. You are saying that pre build 234 you were not experiencing any stoppages during playback and since the update this behavior has been consistently repeatable? By chance, have there been any other adjustments made to your setup recently? Just curious if any other factors could be having an influence here.

2. Could you please provide a brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

3. I understand you’ve already power cycled your Roon core and storage devices, have you tried power cycling the rest of your audio/network equipment?

4. During your troubleshooting have your tried (temporarily of course) bypassing the content on the NAS and playing back a locally stored file on the Mac Mini? How about when you bypass the audio equipment? If you were to play through the internal sound card of the Mac Mini to a pair of head phones, do you still get these dropouts?

-Eric

1 Like

Eric @Eric I also noticed the same thing last night but I didn’t really have time to fully investigate. My symptoms were about 5-6 minutes into a track, I had a brief drop off of music. It happened a couple of times on different tracks(that were long enough I suppose) I’ll try to document it tonight if it happens.

I went to work and came back 10 hours later. No changes in setup or anything else. the problem seems to have evaporated. I have no explanation.

However, in answer to your questions:

1. No stoppages before build 234, no change in setup at all in the last week, at least.

2. Roon 1.3, build 234, 64 bit
    Operating system: OSX 10.12.5
    Device: Mac Mini 4 core I7 @ 2.4 GHz, 16GB ram
    Music stored: Drobo 5n

tracks: about 38,000 tracks

Network: cat6 cable, switch at core and NAS endpoints
    Router: AT&T NVG589 Firmware updated within the last 6 mos.
    All endpoints wired except BlueSound Pulse Mini in 1 bedroom

3. If the problem surfaces again, I will will try cycling all devices in the system

4. If the problem surfaces again, I will will try temporarily bypassing the content on the NAS and playing back a locally stored file on the Mac Mini and playing through the internal sound card of the Mac Mini to a pair of head phones. These are great troubleshooting tips, and I will archive them!

Yours,
Ross Frank

I went to work and came back 10 hours later. No changes in setup or anything else. the problem seems to have evaporated. I have no explanation.

1 Like

I didn’t have much time last time to troubleshoot, however the same issue occurred for again for me :frowning: k. I’ll try rebooting all my components

Hi @Mark_Allen ---- Thank you for chiming in here and sharing your experience after the most recent update. The insight is appreciated!

May I kindly ask you to please provide the same information that I had requested from Ross? Looking forward to your feedback, after your continued troubleshooting!

-Eric

@Eric
Will do as soon as I’m home tonight. I’m hoping that rebooting everything fixes the problem. In the meantime these are the setting that I know off hand. I know it wasn’t contained to Tidal as a couple of albums playing last night were “local”

Roon 1.3, build 234, 64 bit
Operating system: OSX 10.12.5
Mac Mini Server i7 @ 2.3 Ghz, 16 GB ram
Sonicobiter 2.5 / microRendu (latest update)
Cat6a cabling.

I forgot to add that I also have a Sonicobiter 2.3 / microRendu, about to update to 2.5. It is placed between the Mac Mini and a DAC

@Eric

Good news is rebooting seems to have made an improvement. The dropouts are less frequent but they still are happening while listening to content from Tidal or from my local library. My library size is only around 10,000 tracks. 900 albums. Please let me know if you need anymore system type information. I’ll continue to troubleshoot on my end.

Hi @Mark_Allen ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested information. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, can you please give me some more details about your endpoints? I see from your response you mentioned the following:

Sonicobiter 2.5 / microRendu (latest update)
Cat6a cabling.

Furthermore, by chance are you using the MicroRendu in bridge mode?

-Eric

Hi @Eric
My endpoint is only a microRendu feeding an Oppo 105 DAC. Yes I am bridging to the microRendu which I planned on trying without tonight. Of note my bridge is actually being performed with a pfSense router/firewall. Like I mentioned later this evening I’ll just go back to my Netgear GS108T switch (no bridge).

I used to have a few drops when using an Airport Exteme to AirportExpress, but figured (and rightfully so) that the SQ is better with wired Ethernet.
If there are any settings you guys recommend please let me know.

Hi @Mark_Allen ---- Thank you for the follow up! I wanted to touch base with you to see how testing went with the “bridge” temporarily disengaged. Looking forward to your feedback!

-Eric

I did disable the bridge last night and it “seemed” to work better but I didn’t try it for long. However I’ll try it again tonight for an extended period of time. I’ve got to admit to my ears the SQ is better in the bridged-mode. I’ll also check some of the steps in your troubleshooting guide

@Eric
Last night I had an extended session without my network-bridging enabled and it does seem like the dropouts have gone away. I’ll continue to monitor this.

-Mark

1 Like