My entire library has disappeared

I am running Roon 1.3 on a Mac Mini and have just rebooted. When it came back up, Roon said “There is a problem playing this album” so I clicked the Back button. Now Roon says “You haven’t added much music yet”

What?

I had 1100+ albums and have spent several hours configuring DSP / room correction. Its all gone!

I had setup Backups but the backup folder looks like this:

It doesn’t seem to have backed anything up either.

Arrrghh. Now Roon says “There was an issue loading your database”.

I’ve been trialling Roon for about 5 days and its already broken. Not sure I want to part wth $200 for this…

Going to try a full reinstall and start over :sob:

Have uninstalled Roon and downloaded a fresh copy of the installer.

Now I get this:

What’s going on?

Hi @wilro15 ---- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. I have went ahead and unlisted the thread so we can figure out exactly what is going on here.

Moving forward, the backups look ok, so nothing to worry about there. If you could please provide me with a description of you current setup (using this post as a guide) so we know what exactly you’re working with and a set of your Roon logs (from the MacMini), I am sure we can figure out what has happened.

Lastly, once we figure out what has caused this, we will be glad to “restart” your trial period for you, as this type of behavior is extremely rare and not one that we see very often.

-Eric

I am using a Mac Mini 8GB, 500GB SSD and Intel Core i5 CPU. OSX is El Capitan 10.11.6. My library is stored on a Synology DS416J NAS drive. Both are hard-wired to my local network using a Gigabit connection.

Since the problems above I have deleted the Roon app from /Applications and all three folders that start with “Roon…” from /Library.

Unfortunately I am now unable to reinstall Roon. If I download and try to install new DMG file, then OSX says it is corrupted.

I have also tried to reinstall an old DMG file but OSX says “The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in ‘Roon’ can’t be read/written. Error Code -36”

Hi @wilro15 ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated!

I want to verify that there is nothing going on with the Mac Mini’s SSD volume that could be having influence on this behavior. Would you kindly confirm this by using the “Disk Utility” feature on OSX.

-Eric

I ran First Aid within Disk Utility and no problems were found. I also tried to install some other random app from the App Store and that worked OK. So it seems to be a problem with installing Roon itself, as if something is left over from the previous install.

I’ve run a search on the HD for anything called Roon, but nothing remains.

Thanks @wilro15, for confirming that for me. This may seem rather elementary :innocent: but your “trash” has been emptied after all elements of the application were deleted, correct?

Furthermore, has the Mini been power cycled since removing the application?

-Eric

Yes Trash is emptied and I have rebooted again just in case.

I tried verifying the roon.dmg file and get an error code 1000

Hi @wilro15 ----- Thank you for verifying the above and posting the screenshot of the error you’re receiving in “disk utility”.

I have just asked my tech team for some feedback regarding this behavior and will be back around shortly with an update. You’re patience is very appreciated! We’ll get this figured out.

-Eric

Hi @wilro15 ----- Can you please do me a favor and upload the DMG that you are currently trying to install Roon with here, using the word alpha for both the username and password. Please title the package, “wilro15_Roon.dmg” and let me know once the transfer has completed.

I would like to try to test in house to see if I can install the application successfully using the same DMG. Thanks!

-Eric

Thanks for your help, Eric. The DMG file is now uploaded

1 Like

Awesome, thanks @wilro15! Confirming that the package has been received. I will let you know what I come up :microscope:

-Eric

It has started working. I don’t know why!

Cautiously setting it all up again…

Hi @wilro15, please keep me updated on your progress.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric. Roon is still running well, no more hiccups!
Thanks again for your help

2 Likes

Great news, @wilro15! Happy listening!

-Eric