No playback through Sonos Zone

Since the latest build playing through Sonos is no longer possible. I keep getting the Lost Control of Audio Device error. Prior to this build, I would get this error once in a while but now it happens all the time. Oddly, before the latest Roon update, I had more issues with playback through Sonos stopping randomly. Sonos recently had an update so perhaps thats the problem?

When you say “since the latest build”, exactly which builds are you talking about?

I have looked, and I do not see any changes that I believe might impact Sonos playback between stable builds 259 and 262. There is one change between builds 248 and 259/262. Do you know if it worked on build 259?

Is the “Lost Control of Audio Device” error that you now get all the time something that consistently happens at 28-30 seconds after starting to play to the Sonos speakers?

Thank you for the reply guys. I am on build 262.

Here is what happens:

Issue #1: Music stop playing randomly - sometimes music will just stop. If I press play again, music will start then stop again a few secs later. I cant seem to pinpoint any trend or common reason for this. I’ve had this issue for a while now. I dont group zoneplayers and I do not fast forward or rewind. It happens when I am just playing music. Some days I dont have any problem some days the problem is so bad I cant play music at all through Sonos.

Issue #2: Lost control of audio device - this has also always been an issue but it didnt happen as frequently as Issue #1. However, recently, I cannot get Roon to play through one of my Sonos zoneplayers. I cant get music to play at all. I can play music through that zoneplayer using the Sonos remote control all on my laptop though.

Hi @tboooe ---- It sounds like the behavior being reported in your most recent posts “here”, echo the behavior you previously reported in this support thread.

Please confirm, so I can consolidate your posts and we can continue troubleshooting. Thanks!

-Eric

hi @Eric, I figure I would chime in on this thread since it made it feel better to know I was not the only one with this issue…:smirk:

Anyway, I am not sure if its the same issue. In that thread I was having issues with random stopping of music. In this case, I cant even get Roon to start playing music. Its probably all related to the same underlying issue but I am experiencing different symptoms.

Thank you for clarifying, @tboooe.

Moving forward, can you please provide me with the following:

• A brief description of your current setup, so I have a better idea of the gear you are currently working with.

• Please outline your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing.

• Please specify the Sonos model(s) you are experiencing this behavior with and how the device(s) are communicating with your network.

• If you are utilizing non Sonos based endpoints, do you experience this behavior with them as well?

-Eric

Thank you @Eric

Here are my answers to your questions:

A brief description of your current setup, so I have a better idea of the gear you are currently working with.
My gear:
Roon running on dedicated i7 PC
Roon remote control from a variety of devices including laptop, phone, tablet
Variety of end points including Sonos ZP100 , ZP120, ZP90.

Please outline your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing.
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless AC router
Roon server on dedicated pc wired through a Dlink DAP 1650 wireless bridge
All other devices communicating to the network via wireless

Please specify the Sonos model(s) you are experiencing this behavior with and how the device(s) are communicating with your network.
Most frequent issue is with original ZP100 zoneplayer

If you are utilizing non Sonos based endpoints, do you experience this behavior with them as well?
I never have the issue of music randomly stopping or not being to start music playback through my other endpoints which is an NAA on an i3 mini pc and an i5 laptop.

Hi @tboooe ----- Thank you for following up and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated!

Moving forward, you mentioned that all of your devices are “communicating to the network via wireless”. Since noticing this behavior, have you tried to disable all other endpoints (temporarily of course) and testing with the ZP100 zoneplayer directly connected to your router? If so, what was the experience like?

-Eric

Hi @Eric, I have not moved that one zoneplayer to the router. I can try this weekend. The very odd thing is that I can play music through that zoneplayer from the Sonos controller app (listening to The The “Soul Mining” album now!). I have zero issues.

Hi @tboooe ----- Just touching base to see how your testing went. Thanks!

-Eric

Thank you for the follow up @Eric…the issue was still there after I moved that one zoneplayer to the router. Roon just cant seem to communicate with that one zoneplayer.

Hi @tboooe ---- Thank you for touching base with me! Very appreciated!

Before I grab some logs from you, can you please confirm that the test was performed with only ZP100 zoneplayer in an active state and all other zones were disabled during this test? Furthermore, do you have any issue using this zone outside of Roon?

-Eric

@Eric all other zones were not playing music at the time of the test though they were powered up and connected to my network. The zoneplayer I am having issues with works perfectly if I play music through the Sonos app on my phone or desktop. Ive been using the Sonos app for the past week and have not experienced a single stoppage of music or failure to play. I’ve had these two issues using Roon and Sonos since the feature was implemented.

Hi @tboooe ----- Thank you for the follow up and confirming that information for me :thumbsup:

As mentioned, I would like to grab logs from you, so our techs can have a closer look into what could be causing this behavior with the ZP100 zoneplayer. With this in mind, may I kindly ask you to please perform the following log gathering exercises. Please see below.

With the same configuration in place (i.e just the one active Sonos zone attached directly to your router)…

Log Set #1:

• Please launch Roon using the mentioned command line flag below. Reproduce the issue, note the time when it occurs, and then send us your Roon core logs.

Flag: -sonostrace

Log Set #2:

• Please launch Roon using the mentioned command line flag below. Reproduce the issue, note the time when it occurs, and then send us your Roon core logs.

Flag: -sonosdiscovery

-Eric

I have the same problems! Roon and Sonos with a lot of problems. Music stops a lot without any reason. I play also with the same roon core to my devialet and never have a problem. Please fix it Roon!