Roon 1.5 crashing when the "backup" and "storage" tabs are being accessed

Hello,

Every single time that it happens to press buttons “View”, “Backup” or “Browse” under Settings/Backups menu, Roon crashes in MacOS Sierra.

Mac mini (late 2012)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.4
Roon (client) & Roon Core (server) running on the same machine: Version 1.3 build 218

… what do you mean by the above? :confused:
all you need to run, on a single machine doing it all, is Roon

Hi @impeth ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. Perhaps you can clarify something for me, in regard to your setup. Are you running RoonServer and Roon remote on the same device?

Furthermore, to help me better evaluate this behavior you are reporting to us, may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

1. Is there anything else going on either in the background of the computer or “in-app” when you notice this crashing behavior? In short I am looking for any steps, procedurally speaking, that make this behavior 100% reproducible.

2. No other buttons are causing this crash, just in the backups tab, correct?

3. When Roon does crash, is OSX generating a crash report? If so can you share that with us?

4. Can you please expand on the details of your setup as seen here.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, I am running on the same machine (Mac mini late 2012, i7, 8GB RAM) both RoonServer and Roon remote. The reason for this is to have always accessible the server part, even if other users are logged in & using Mac with their account.
Trying to further respond to your questions:

1. This is totally reproducible because it happens every time. No other steps inside the app or other apps seem to affect it.

2. To be more precise Roon remote crashes exactly at the following points (always under Backups tab):
    i. View/Add/Browse
    ii. Backup/Select Location
    iii. Browse
    So it seems to be related with the file location!
    Audio files are located in a WD MyCloud NAS.

3. Unfortunately it does not generate a crash report.

4. Mac mini (late 2012, i7, 8GB RAM, MacOS Sierra 10.12.4) both RoonServer and Roon remote are running (Version 1.3 build 218)
    About 7500 tracks library on Western Digital WD MyCloud 4TB NAS
    All connections are wired (Gigabit) on an ASUS DSL-N17U router
    Playback currently on an Encore mDSD DAC/Headphone amp
    I am attaching also some more screenshots.

Thank you,
Yiannis

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are appreciated!

So from your feedback, you are running both RoonServer and Roon remote on the same device. When you go to create a backup, Roon remote is crashing but the server is still active, correct?

If this is indeed the case and only the remote is crashing may I kindly ask you to please perform the following procedure:

1. Please reproduce this behavior you are reporting to us and note the time when the issue occurs.

2. Once the issue has been replicated and the time noted, following the steps found here please send us a set of your ROON logs (not RoonServer).

-Eric

Hello Eric, thank you for your support!
Yes, my case is like that, RoonServer & Roon remote running on the same machine & Roon remote is crashing when I push the specific buttons in Backups Tab as already described. Server remains active. So:

1. I have reproduced the case on 20 Apr. at 02:50-02:51 local time.
  2. You may download the logs from my Dropbox:

I hope you will find a solution…

Thanks again,
Yiannis

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for the logs! Confirming that they have been received and are in our queue to be evaluated. We’ll have a look and let you know what we come up with asap. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi Eric! No problem, all this is about backup only, music flows normally!

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for your patience here. While I have been waiting for my report to be updated by our tech team, I went ahead and setup a similar configuration to your’s:

Setup:
Core = MacBook Pro running Roon + RoonServer.

I did not notice any crashing when I was logged in under my username when clicking around the storage tab. I then logged out of my username and back in as the “guest” user. I launched RoonServer + Roon but had no access to my library which is attached to MY username, I also did not notice any crashing when browsing around the back up tab either.

In your report you mentioned the following:

“The reason for this is to have always accessible the server part, even if other users are logged in & using Mac with their account.”

Can you provide me some more insight into this configuration? I am curious how another user is able to access RoonServer (which is attached to your username/login) on their log in.

-Eric

Hello,

Sorry to write again after a long time but it seems that my Roon becomes unusable as time passes by.
Now I have the same crash that I had (& still have with backup menu) with the Storage menu.
I have changed location to my files & wanted to edit it but Roon crashes, even after reinstallation.
Can you please check?

I have also recorded my screen in order to present it to you but cannot upload here…

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for getting in touch and sorry to hear of the continued troubles. A few things moving forward…

1. Please confirm that the setup details you had provided here is still valid and in use. If any changes have been made, please provide those details.

2. I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior. However, before I enable this feature may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Please reproduce the issue with the backups menu and provide the time when the error was observed.

• Please reproduce the the issue with the storage menu and provide the time when was observed.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hello Eric,

Everything is similar apart from software versions:
Roon version is 1.5 (build 323) & macOS High Sierra (10.13.4).
I have reproduced Storage issue at 20:20 & Backup issue at 20:27 local time (UTC+3).
I hope this time we will find the solution.

Thank you,
Yiannis

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information!

Now that I have the requested time frames (thank you again) I have enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time that Roon is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will keep an eye out for the upload and will touch base again once it has come in so you know we have it.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

At 22:25 Storage error occurred & at 22:30 local time Backup error.
Note also that both are deterministic errors, they occur every time.

Thanks again,
Yiannis

Hi @impeth ---- Thank you for the additional timestamps, appreciated!

Confirming that the diagnostics report has been received and is with our tech team for evaluation/analysis. Once your ticket has been updated and passed back to me I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you immediately.

In the meantime, I would like to propose the following test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior with your setup and also help isolate some variables here. Being as RoonServer is not crashing and “Roon remote” is (on the same device), I would kindly like you to please try the following:

• Close ALL active instances of Roon.

• On the MacMini you are going to locate your “ROON” folder using the instructions found here.

• Once you have located the “Roon” folder, please rename it to Roon_Old.

• Finally, after you have renamed the “Roon” folder to “Roon_Old” please start the RoonServer process up again and launch Roon (i.e remote). Do you notice the same crashing?

very important - You do not want to adjust your “RoonServer” folder in anyway, you only want to change the name of the “Roon” folder which is going to be linked to the instance of Roon on the MacMini acting as a remote to control the Roon Server process.

-Eric

@impeth ----- I wanted to reach out to you super fast because the team was looking over the diagnostics we received from your system and it looks like we received a set of RoonServer logs but not Roon logs which are going to be for remote instance that is crashing on the same computer.

In light of this discovery, I would kindly like to ask you to please hold off on the above (just for now) and send us over a set of your “Roon” logs using the instructions found here. Remember, the logs we need are going to be found in the “Roon” folder and not the “RoonServer” folder.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric, I upload the logs.