Roon + HQPlayer + crossfade active results in cutted tracks

As the title says: Audio Zone is HQPlayer. Crossfade is set to 4sec.
Test 1:
I play a single track. Roon stops playing the track 10sec before its real end.

Test 2:
as test 1, but audio zone set to my DAC. track plays fine until the end.

Test 3:
as test 1, but I play a whole album. Each track starts to fade out 10sec before the end, and switches after 4sec to the next track, which means it still misses the last 6sec of each track

Hi @Townes ---- Thank you for feedback and my apologies for the inconvenience here. In order to get a better understand of what may be causing this issue for you, I’d like to gather some more information in regard to your setup and the content you are working with. Please see below. Thanks!

1. Can you please describe in detail, as seen here, your current setup. The more detailed you are the easier it will be for us to evaluate the situation.

2. Can you please confirm what content you were using to perform the tests you noted above. File Formats? Bit Rates?

Thanks!

-Eric

Here my answers to 1) and 2)

1. Setup
    a. Roon v1.2 build 154 (64bit)
    b. Windows 10 (64bit)
    c. Desktop MB is Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mk1, Intel i7-6700K @ 4GHz,
    Samsung 3x SSDs PRO (256GB, 1TB, 2TB)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX980 Ti
    JCAT USB Card
    Berkeley Alpha USB, Driver is actual (AlphaUSB_Windows_Driver_1v26b)
    Resonessence Mirus DAC
    d. Music is on 2TB Samsung SSD 850 Pro. Internal SATA.
    e. Collection (within the Roon Library: ca 17’000 tracks)
  2. Content: *.flac (16/44 up to 24/192) and *.dsf
  3. Issue occurs with all flac files, no matter if 16/44 or 24/192
    Issue occurs with any amount of crossfade time, no matter if 1sec or 10sec
    Issue occurs independent of track length, i.e. no matter if length is 3 minutes or 15 minutes.
  4. Examples used:
    Colosseum – Valentyne Suite (length 16:55, stops at 16:45)
    Al Stewart – Lord Greenville (length 5:07, stops at 4:49)
    Albert Lee – If I Needed You (length 3:22, stops at 3:18)
    Cream – Born Under a Bad Sign (length 3:12, stops at 3:05)

All above examples: flac, 16/44, tagged with mp3tag, ripped with EAC and Plextor drive.
All examples play fine until the end:
In HQPlayer only (or foobar, jriver)
In Roon, when audio zone is set to Berkley Alpha USB and crossfade to any amount of seconds
In Roon, when audio zone is set to HQPlayer and crossfade is set to 0 seconds

@Townes ----- Thank you very much for your feedback! I am in need of some clarification and my apologies for the confusion. Based off your feedback from the second test you performed:

Test 2:
as test 1, but audio zone set to my DAC. track plays fine until the end.

Was this test successful, in terms of playback with crossfading active when HQplayer was not involved?

-Eric

Yes, correct. See alo here:

When HQPlayer is NOT involved, there are no problems - no matter what the crossfade settings are.

While we are on it:
I am using HQPlayer desktop version 3.13.3

Thanks

@Townes ---- Thank you for the follow up and clarification, once again, my apologies for the confusion. May I ask you please provide the following screen grabs:

1. A screen grab of the signal path coming out of roon when HQP is active.

2. A screen grab of the settings you’re using in HQP when the problem occurs.

Thanks!

-Eric

Hi Eric
For the screenshots, please see below:

Many thanks for digging into this. By the way, if it cannot get resolved, I can easily live with this (don’t use crossfade)

Hi @Townes ---- Thank you for the follow up and the screen grabs. Both are appreciated! Can you please confirm for me in the tests you performed were the same sample rates consistent between the tracks you were trying to crossfade between or were they varying?

-Eric

1. Examples used:
    Colosseum – Valentyne Suite (length 16:55, stops at 16:45)
    Al Stewart – Lord Greenville (length 5:07, stops at 4:49)
    Albert Lee – If I Needed You (length 3:22, stops at 3:18)
    Cream – Born Under a Bad Sign (length 3:12, stops at 3:05)

Hi Eric
Yes, sample rates were consistent between tracks, where crossfading should occur (16/44).

Apart from that, considering the situation:
crossfading set to e.g. 4sec. and playing a single track only

what would be the expectations? I guess either:
a) track plays until the very end, without fade-out.
b) track plays until the very end, but fade-out starts 4 sec before the end of the track

what acually happens in neither a) or b) but:
track stops suddenly ca. 7 to 10 seconds before the end.

@Townes ---- Thank you for the feedback and the followup. Would you be able to provide us with the album you used in your third test from your initial post via dropbox or another upload service? If you aren’t a dropbox user I can also provide you instructions on how to upload content directly to our servers. Let me know. Thanks!

Test 3:
as test 1, but I play a whole album. Each track starts to fade out 10sec before the end, and switches after 4sec to the next track, which means it still misses the last 6sec of each track

-Eric

Yes, I will do that. Can you please provide me with the necessary instructions to upload directly to your servers.

Thanks

@Townes ---- Thank you for following up with me. I will be contacting your shortly via PM with instructions. Thanks!

-Eric

@Townes ---- Thank you for your patience as we have been actively troubleshooting this issue in house. Our developers have reported back to me that they were able to cross-fade using HQplayer once the files were done being analyzed by roon.

Can you confirm for me that roon is not still trying analyze this content? Go to settings and then setup to confirm analysis is complete. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi Eric

In my Setting | Setup | Background Analysis Speed is set to ‘Fast’.
There is/was not a single track left to be analyzed. I am sure, because I care for that, when I add new tracks to my collection.

I suggest to focus on a very simple experiment:

1. In Roon | HQ Player settings | set crossfade time to ‘4s’
  2. Play the track Colosseum - Valentyne Suite. Length is 16:55
  3. Watch the red vertical bar, moving from left to right along the waveform… it stops (always) at 16:45.

so the last 10 seconds are truncated. At least on my machine.
The interesting question is: can you reproduce this on your side?

Hi @Townes ---- My apologies for the slow response. I have been actively trying to reproduce this issue with the settings and content you’ve provided to me.

The track you are mentioning by Colosseum, “Valentyne Suit”, is there any silence before the end of the song?

-Eric

Hi Eric

Yes, that’s indeed the case, about 5 sec silence at the very end of the track. See attached screenshot (marker is at 16:50)

I also loaded “Cream - Born under a bad sign” into Samplitude. That’s a track which I mentioned earlier in the thread, too. Similar situation, i.e. some seconds of silence at the end. See second screenshot (marker is at 3:09)

@Townes ---- Thank you for confirming this information for me. The reason you are experiencing this problem is because there is silence at the end of the mentioned track(s). For example, if I have a song with 10 seconds of silence at the end and have a 5 second crossfade engaged, the song with start fading 15 seconds from the end.

-Eric