RoonServer Crash (Linus/iPad Reconnect)

This has happened a few times, I am playing music and open my locked iPad which has Roon as the current app. The server disappears and takes a minute or two to reconnect. I rebooted the Linus host yesterday so likely not a memory leak. Roon is the only thing running on the server. This has happened with different tracks.

Hi @pwright92 ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies the troubles here. One of the reasons iOS is so good with battery life is that it aggressively puts apps in the background to sleep – one of the trade offs of that is when you “wake up” Roon, it has to reconnect. It should, however, only take a second or two and it sounds like that is not the case, is that correct?

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you are reporting, may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please describe your network configuration/topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections possible.

3. If you have any other devices acting as Roon remotes are they displaying the same behavior?

-Eric

I am running Roon Server/Linux on a BSD VM with an internal NFS mount for the library. My end point is a Raspberry Pi running Roon Bridge. My configurations have not changed, other than new versions of Roon, for over a year. The issue is not the iPad sleeping but the server process disappearing and playback stopping. I cannot see the server on the iPad for a minute or more and when it does appear, playback is paused for that queue. The problem has occurred about a half dozen times but has not reoccurred since my note above.

Thanks,
Peter

So BSD is not Linux, is UNIX.
And last I heard Roon does not play well with BSD…

Why BSD? Why not an actual Linux variant or ROCK even?

Also I seen your posts about running Roon on FreenAS… Is this the case?
Are you running it on bhyve? Docker? or on actual VM?

Can you gives us a bit more details?

Thanks.

I am running FreeNAS which is native on BSD. On that server I have a Linux bhyve vm running Roon. I put my installation steps up a while ago.

Ok, Now your post is starting to make a bit of sense, I am taking English is not your first language just like is not mine :stuck_out_tongue:

So what is the memory like on the host when your VM is running?
Is there any traces of segfaults or anything like that on the logs?

If you are not seen anything and the thread just dies, It seems like the host/guest is killing your process due to resource starvation…

What are the specs of your FreeNAS Server?

I would start checking the Roon logs and see if Roon is exiting gracefully or is it just dying…

Actually English is my first language. The problem is new with the last release, my resources on the server are adequate and monitored. I checked the logs and there are no obvious errors or record of a controlled shutdown or an abend. So really a notice to @support but at this point the problem has not re-occurred so it may be difficult to trace.

My apologies, Your previous post didn’t make sense hence my assumption…
Can you confirm that the application is actually going away?

There is no re-spawn on roon that I know of… If it dies, It dies…

There is what looks like a restart in the logs.

Can you post the snippet of when it happens from the logs? Maybe a pastebin?

Best to have @support grab some logfiles from you. If RoonServer crashes it will start a new logfile on restart so if you’re seeing a new file immediately after the crash with the first line reading something like:

Starting RoonServer 1.3 (build xxx) stable on linuxx64

then the core is restarting.

I’ve seen an issue similar to what you’re describing on a few occasions. In one case the core had crashed and restarted, but in the others it was due to the WiFi network resetting. There’s something that iOS does when the Roon app starts or wakes up that really upsets some WiFi implementations. I’ve seen it mostly on Netgear products and the ultimate solution was to deactivate one of the two radios in the access point.

All wired network here, except the iPad. I have the log files in a tar ball ready to go.

Hey @pwright92 – do you have somewhere you can upload them, like Dropbox? If not, we can help you send them over.

Also, if you have a rough timestamp of when the crash happened, that will help a bit too.

Feel free to PM or post the Dropbox link, or let us know if you need a place to upload to. Thanks!

Logs are at https://www.dropbox.com/s/no5a9h5cbtgy85x/roonlogs.tar?dl=0

Last occurrence was within an hour to two of the initiating posting for this thread.

Peter

Hi @pwright92 ----- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that the logs have been received and are in our queue for evaluation. We’ll let you know what we come up with.

-Eric

Can you clarify this setup a bit more? Are you running Roon in a VM?

Yes, it is in a bhyve vm on a free as server.