1.8 - Classical test drive and some frustrations

This has already been reported to support, it’s happening where a Performer is also credited as Arranger or Composer, I found it with Wilhelm Kempff as he is credited as arranging Bach transcriptions, al. My Kempff albums are missing

It is recognized as a bug …

1 Like

It seems to be anyone who is a Performer and a Composer or Arranger, I expect also where a Cadenza is credited to an individual, I’ll go look …

If it’s a complete set it’s normally grouped, if it’s an odd nocturne in a recital it’s split off as that individual work . That’s what I have observed in 1,7 at least

1 Like

yes, but they are not combined internally. Roon does not know that the op.27/1 belongs to op.27 apart from the text string.

The Nocturnes is just an arbitrary example. It is maybe more commonly happening with the Preludes.

Totally agree! That is a perfect example of a very relevant and valid use-case for Valence. Finding compositions in a given decade is something that can easily be achieved even by “not-so-supersmart-AI”, because its just a mathematical calculation. But it would be extremely useful to have!

Deciding on “Top Performers” for any given Genre is a task in an altogether different league. Because it also relates to user taste and is not something definitive.

1 Like

You can control this behaviour with a local library but it is actually very arbitrary with a streaming library. You just don’t have the same editing tools with a streaming library so once roon has decided to group or not group a composition it is difficult or impossible to change it.

It’s not just Chopin. It’s everywhere. This is a very simple example with the 5 Villa-Lobos Guitar preludes:

So you can see I have individual preludes for 1-4. Roon has nothing to identify the singleton 5th prelude, A. 419/5 against. It is also common on recital type disks that arbitrarily 2 or 3 of the preludes and not all 5 will be played. The end result is that my grouped composition of the 5 preludes actually contains (5! - 4) possible combinations of preludes. It’s just one small example, absolutely beyond annoying and beyond normal standards of usability but I guess you can get used to anything.

Of course the cumulative effect of all these different rules and inconsistencies and quirks that you have to internalise on a composition and composer by composer basis just makes engaging with roon an extremely tiring experience.

This issue has been raised so often and for so long I really don’t ever see it being addressed. All I would like is editing equivalence of local and streaming content so I can solve the problem for myself. I’m not hopeful though. There are probably copyright issues editing streaming content. I don’t know. I’ve never seen any guidance from roon.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%

1 Like

Hello everybody,
first of all I wanna say I’m still really enjoying all the music with Roon and its improved overall speed.
Now the things I don’t like it\get it:
I guess I’m in a minority but I start listening to music from browsing the single compositions.
The composer\compositions view in Roon 1.8 is not that great.
On a 15 inch laptop I only see 3\4\5 depending if the compositions has an abstract.
Why all the blank space on the right? Why the abstract are stopped there?

Why the indication of the number of recording is disappeared there?

In the composition view why the Top conducturs\top performers section comes first my recordings?
If I go there I wanna see first in what albums I have in my library the compositions first and then - if I wanna explore- I’d like to take a look to suggested performers.
Can we have the chance to collapse at least these sections?
I know there’s a link to recordings but - in my view- with all the scrolling going on right now it’s not that intuitive to click there.

In the same view why do I need to see other Popular works by the composer? Wouldn’t be better off this section in the Composer\Compositions view?

In the album view why the disc logo for the composition disappeared? It’s not intuitive click on a blank space.

Can we have back the indications of how many recordings we have of that work?
A disc plus a number would be sufficient.

What you guys think?

Andre

3 Likes

There has to be some internal hierarchy mapping possibility to link compositions together in a meaningful way without infringing on coypright issues.

When navigating by search, I can find many of those “duplicates”, but when navigating by clicking your way though the content it gets complicated.

when I am in an “op.48” album and navigate to the compositon I will miss the albums with op.48/1 and op.48/2, even if thex’s contain both compositions.

1 Like

Another quirk:
In the composer view the sorting by most played doesn’t work:

You are absolutely right. I have already opened a bug report on that compositions page. It looks as if they had just ‚forgotten’ to finish it off before release. Or someone in the corner office shouted „Stop working. Release date!“ :crazy_face:

That works for me. Sorting descending, shows me the Mozarts, Bachs and Beethovens etc. that I listen a lot to. Ascensing starts with composers „A“ that I have not (or hardly) listened to. But I just notice it sorts by first name on thos. So there is some bug in there.

Except where the singleton is unidentified! Those come up :crazy_face: But, of course of course if I want to merge those against identified singletons I have to come out of this screen and redo the filter to see if there are singleton compositions I can merge against.

It is all such a struggle. Piece by piece I find myself giving up. I know you cannot slice and dice against a relational table either but a lot of the time roon isn’t really doing much better anyway. I just find myself reaching for the simplest tools sometimes and just dragging and dropping into HQPlayer which is my endpoint anyway. The native Qobuz apps are also pretty good these days.

And now I realise that I have unidentified Villa-Lobos preludes I went to the composition screen to see what else I could merge. There is no scroll bar! Why make things harder. Its just bewildering.

I don’t use the Qobuz app - I’m not sure I will further invest in a streaming subscription. I have so much stuff in my local library and have invested so much time and effort in it, I just might stay with it.

I can identify ally my stuff in lightning speed using JRiver, but their UI is the other extreme of Roon (i.e. ugly) and the networking capabilities to play to my Raspberry Pi endpoints also let me stay with Roon.

Yes. It’s coming down to that for me as well. That and the recommendation and radio tools. I notice I
no longer use the recommendations which used to be one of my favorite features. Don’t know about radio. Haven’t really had a chance to look with all these changes. 1.7 was already on the edge of usability as a library manager for me so I’ll be dropping that for 1.8 a well.

I have Roipeee XL on my pi4, JRiver sees it as a streamer and will push DLNA to it

While the PC UI is old and complex , maybe ugly, who uses it? I use it for maintenance, tagging etc setting up views. After that I use JRemote on my 12.9 iPad , which is not up to Roon Sexiness but certainly isn’t ugly.

Add to that they have completely rewritten the Android version of JRemote

I still use it extensively, in parallel to Roon

I don’t know if it’s has been brought to attention already but here it is another quirk:

I have two complete executions of “La forza del destino” by Verdi:

If I toggle Only complete recordings I get just one result:

On what criteria the toggle acts?
10 minute differences between executions in an opera is not that uncommon!

Cheers

1 Like

Mike, you have mentioned several times, JRiver custom views. Do you have a dummies guide or link for setting that up? I was thinking particularly composition indentation and box-sets. My wife actually much preferred JRiver because of the multi-pic screen fades in theater view. I have much better tags now, just to get roon working so I must admit I am curious what can be done. I also have a Mark Levinson 5101 on order (UPnP) so need a bit of flexibility anyway.

Oh! had not even seen that toggle, thanks for the pointer. Just tried it out on Verdi. Time-difference of 23 minutes on “La Traviata” still gives me all my complete versions.

But then on “Fallstaff” it filters out 2 of my 4 recordings, even tough the time difference is only 8 or 9 minutes.

Whatever logic they use for it: It doesnt quite work yet. :grimacing:

@Andrea_Campi1 , could you open a bug report on this in the Support section and move your example there, so it doesnt get lost amoung all those hundreds of niggles…

of course only available with streaming content… Would be nice if this could be also controlled by a file tag