1.8 Success or Failure – Seeking Hard Evidence

Thanks again, David.

1 Like

Well, I did open DNS as well, but no improvement. I guess I have to see what roon does to correct this for those of us that have this issue.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you. Both Qobuz and Tidal continue to work fine for me. Perhaps the Roon support people can help you get it sorted. Best of luck.

I was just coming back to message you!

I did the OpenDNS settings yesterday, and while Taste of Qobuz and New Releases show [No Results], I am now [today] getting near real-time start on Qobuz tracks that I attempt.

I am inclined to think that it is not the very latest update to roon, but rather the OpenDNS settings that you point me to.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I have been listening pretty much the same amount as before 1.8. I am a relatively new user though.

I have noticed some bugs, like iOS crashes and sometimes a lack of any artwork. These are annoying, but I can listen without artwork. I do appreciate that I don’t have to hold my iPad in landscape mode to use it now. I really miss the “ABC” method of finding artists.

However, I purchased a year of use 3 months ago, so bad or good, I’m using it.

That’s good news. I’m happy to hear you’re at least making some progress.

1 Like

I just remembered another trick that helped me with Qobuz/Tidal missing album art in and slow playback with Roon in the past when using a Samsung Tab A. It might be worth trying if things don’t get better. I’m convinced that Samsung tablets have some DNS issues not present in other devices. I own two Samsung Tab As, which have been more problematic than my iPads, Fire Tablets or Android phones.

1. Download the DNS Lilly app from the Android store.
  2. Experiment with the DNS settings in the app. These will change the DNS on your tablet only. See which settings, if any, produce better results with the Roon app on the tablet using Qobuz (or Tidal).
  3. If one works for you, set the app to automatically load and set that DNS in the tablet.

This can help if your internet provider’s DNS is causing problems. I suspect it also depends on what country you’re in. I’m in Brasil, where for some reason DNS workarounds are sometimes useful.

Thanks, David. I don’t have any Android devices, only iOS devices. So far, iPhone and iPad have been good. :blush:

Thank you for all the help, David!

Most of us do not have the time to first determine, and next to write about the specific details of why 1.8 is an embarrassment.

What most of do have the time to day is:

It is indeed the worst update of anything we have seen. It really looks and function like the “first draft” of something just starting.

Even the actual “logo” became a plain white nothing burger.

The news that the old 1.7 is coming back SOON is very good news! It means that the decision makers do listen.

It may be possible that there are significant “techy” improvements, but most of us could care less about this.

1 Like

Pls excuse my typos!! Whoa!

1.7 is never coming back…1.8 is moving forward with a little more of what it took away from 1.7 coming back mixed in.

Yes this is my experience as well, I’ve been adding albums to my ‘must listen…’ playlists like crazy. I love 1.8 and really, I can’t think of a single negative aspect… the interface is now much improved, it looks great, it’s far easier to find new music recommendations. There are far too many improvements to list! When I read the negative comments they are always from dyed in the wool power feature users, tags, genres, editing and so on. I understand their frustration but for my money Roon 1.8 is simply an amazing music collation, listening and discovery tool! :+1:

1 Like

This is not true. If you have information that the rest of us don’t, please let us know your source.

1 Like

I agree with you…

My frustration is that roon doesn’t consider semi-annual or quarterly releases instead of a once-a-year major release. Worse, they don’t ask us [the users] to Beta what is coming out.

Just having a team of us Beta testing a new feature would go a long way to ensuring that we get a stable and functional release.

I spent hours troubleshooting last weekend, and it’s time I’ve never get back. It is NOT OK!

I agree that Roon itself is the best music service there is. My initial impression of the upgrade was premature. It seems to be working fine now. In essence, I really do not know enough about Roon to review it with a high confidence level.

1 Like