1.8 Update has completely destroyed Roon for me (UPDATE - POSSIBLY NOT ROON)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Running 1.8 on a QNAP TS-873 build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired network/ and Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All endpoints are affected: Stack Audio Link going to Chord Qtest DAC wired. Mac Pro Wired. Mackbook Pro Wireless. Andoid phones wireless

Description Of Issue

If I restart Roon and play a tune it might work for a bit - meaning I might hear it through the chosen output device. Then after paying a few songs all music stops - there is still an animation next to the output device selector showing bars going up and down, but no sound. When I try to play another track the display switches, the volume timeline graph thingy shows the song, but then it starts skipping through the songs with no sound output. This happens no matter what output device I have selected. This did not happen until I upgraded to 1.8. Roon 1.7 was flawless at playing all of my music. This happens with all file formats I have tried: FLAC, MP3, M4A, AAC etc…

I did try deleting all folders, clearing the library and re-importing everything but that made no difference.
Absolutely gutted as a lifetime account holder for Roon for many years, this is the worst thing that has ever happened. Roon is now entirely useless for me.

Is there any way to upgrade to 1.7 - it would be an upgrade!

So, at the moment it looks like the issues may not have been roon.

My QNAP NAS recently got updates and it looks like the version of ffmpeg installed by QNAP is rather pathetic.

I followed the instructions here

and this seems to have fixed the issue.

The QNAP installed version of the ffmpeg library was 240K in size, whereas the one from QNAP Club is over 75MB - a massive change.

After updating the ffmpeg library and restarting Roon I now seem to have a stable Roon again.

But… Why would this affect FLACs and other codecs? Any thoughts?

I want to keep this open for now and see how things go today.

I’ll keep you posted.

There is a known and continuing problem with QNAP NASs, see

It may be relevant but I don’t know why your other non-aac streams were affected.

Thanks Brian,

I think that the problem with other streams only occurred after Roon tried to play an AAC file after which point it would need restarting.

Am monitoring to make sure this is a good fix.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.