1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

Yes dark theme has been confirmed.

2 Likes

Will we be able to AirPlay to HomePod stereo pair? Thatā€™s what I have in my home gym when working out. Also, I wish we had the ability to download music from our Core to our iPhones for on the go Roon tunes. I have lots of ripped CD compilations that are not available on TIDAL or Spotify for streaming and it would be great to have this feature. Right now I am also using PlexAmp/Plex Media Server for this purpose; I can download a bunch of albums to my iPhone before leaving the house. I only use Plex for the music; no videos or movies.

2 Likes

I would really like to have visualizations of music playing. A framework where folks could develop their own visualizations plus get what others have done.
I miss that so much from Winamp.

3 Likes

Not sure if I missed this above, but for me the big missing piece is syncing Roon profiles with individual Tidal accounts. It just doesnā€™t make sense that I can have four Roon profiles but only one Tidal account.

I have two teenage kids who do nothing but stream music. If their Tidal playlists and faves donā€™t show up on Roon, they just wonā€™t use it.

1 Like

Even iTunes, correction, the ā€œMusicā€ app on macOS still has the Visualizer. I rarely use the Music app on my Mac though. I remember I used to ā€˜trip outā€™ on the visualizer back when iTunes was new and I used it for my music library.

1 Like

I would also like more enriched artist bio as well as the possibility for hyperlinks to reviews on albums on the web.

One more thing, it would be interesting to know how roon distinguishes artists/contributors etc. which have the same name.

I see at Discogs for example that this discrimination is made by adding a number next to the name, for example Fragoulis (1), Fragoulis (2) etc.

will this be possible to be implemented? It will help clearing a lot of misleading links in cross referencesā€¦

1 Like

I do repeat: ā€œadd after current albumā€

1 Like

As we all know by now, none of what we say here were implemented

Two things for me:

1. The intermittent missing metadata issue when playing Roon Radio is resolved without a requirement for users to switch DNS servers.

2. The ability to configure the new UI so that the look and feel of the original interface can be retained for many of us who much preferred it.

Nothing else whatsoever - was very happy with Roon as it was. Any new functionality will just be a bonus.

While I donā€™t think that the Roon team let the forum posts drive development I also doubt that they have a policy that actively excludes the suggestions here. Itā€™s way too late for the 1.8 train now but I believe that good ideas here will be considered.

1 Like

Support for swiping to the right as navigation instead of the little arrowā€¦
On iPad that isā€¦

If you look at 1.8, you will note most of them are not what people here have commonly asked, so I am sure you are right. They do their own thing.

Thatā€™s why all I can hope for is that it will continue to work as normal without removing anything I use regularlyā€¦

With 1.8, it appears that Roon is becoming nothing but an interface for streaming services, rather than a way to organize and present your digital music collection. Thatā€™s a shame.

4 Likes

Product development is a funny one. I worked on a dev team once where the product development manager came with a request from a large customer for new functionality. As he told us what they wanted our lead dev told him that ā€œour product is X and will never do Yā€. I was fairly junior at the time but remember thinking ā€œisnā€™t making that decision the PDMā€™s job, not the lead devsā€? Having a committed team that buys into the development vision is important but the dev tail shouldnā€™t wag the business dog as it were. The issue was eventually resolved by the weight of the customersā€™ wallet, they got their wish.

Iā€™d guess Roonā€™s priorities are attracting new users and retaining existing subscribers (sorry lifers :wink: ) and quite possibly in that order. To do that they have to be listening to market research and the customers they have.

You can try the extension rooDial. Works with a surface dial. No more digging through menus.

1 Like

Are you saying they look at your account and if you are a lifer they will not read further?:joy:

Iā€™m simply saying that thereā€™s no necessity to work to retain them. Again, I doubt theyā€™ll actively ignore suggestions form LT purchasers.

I really hope Valance/Roon Radio is improved.

Itā€™s generally pretty good but when Iā€™m playing Renaissance lute music eventually it always ends up playing 19th century church organ for some reason and I wish it wouldnā€™t do that. Iā€™d like to be able to just play music from this era.

The other day I was playing one of the surf rock tracks from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack and selected Roon Radio to play next expecting more of this type of music but I started getting lots of soundtrack music. Iā€™m not sure how that could be sorted because itā€™s a matter of perspective that Roonā€™s music choices were wrong.

1 Like

I think life members are probably more vocal on forums about Roon than (temporary?) subscribers, so it pays to keep them enthused.

1 Like

I suspect that Roon treat them as loyal customers and thereā€™s likely many ā€œpower usersā€ among them. Thereā€™s just no direct economic motivator to be influenced by them, more a moral one.

2 Likes