1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

Improved playlist management would be a nice to have, more specifically to be able to use metadata to create/edit/sort.

1 Like

At least should treat them like normal subscribers for at least a few years!

1 Like

I believe Roon monitors the forum and may address something if it makes sense and has measurable interest.

For the most part, I believe the Roon folks have probably “considered it” or “thought of it” before most users have.

1 Like

Alas, pay is the one thing that life members don’t. And if they are more vocal on forums that’s even worse, a bigger support load for no gain, and likely an older cohort, more set in their ways, less likely to be interested in purple graphics, more experienced so able to criticize more pointedly … let’s face it a burden at best, more of a liability. A daily sub is the way to go.

How so? My home library is still here, still organised and integrated with Tidal. Roon have to develop and streaming is a big thing, even more so than a local library going forward. As such they have to develop this way.
The classical music innovations seem ground breaking even as a non listener. They will tempt me to look at this genre more.

5 Likes

Do you know my wife? I’m sure you’ve collaborated…

2 Likes

I am a Collector (don’t use Tidal or Spotify; Qobus is not available in my region) and what I need is a powerful and easy-to-use PLAYLIST function. Sorry to say but until now Playlists have been a joke in Roon. Re-arranging a playlist you cannot even select a group of songs and drag them up or down in the playlist! What???
OK, so I can accept that the Roon smartphone app is lacking when it comes to playlists. But it is unacceptable that the PC-Roon-app doesn’t take advantage of the PC platform.
There is an entry in the Roon Community called “We want your ideas for Playlists!”. Really? Are you sure? The entry is from 2016 = 5 years ago - but it is just talk and no actions to improve playlists for 5 years, so I have stopped commenting. What’s the point?

If we could just have a library browsing section to the left showing all artists-albums-songs (‘folder-like tree’) and the actual Playlist to the right to which you can drag albums or songs + the ability to mark several songs and drag them up-n-down in the playlist, then that in itself would be a HUGE improvement.
(Such simple functionality will be a huge improvement. Really shows how poor playlists are in Roon today).

7 Likes

New Feature: Being able to rate songs (like albums) with 0 to 5 :star: And build playlists with this trait.

Bugfix: Since the last update of Roon; when bit depth or sampling rate changes between songs it needs exact 42 seconds to sync until the next song starts. This is cumbersome. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Playlists (organizing & presenting your music collection) are a joke in Roon. Re-arranging a playlist you cannot even select a group of songs and drag them up or down in the playlist! What???
OK, so I can accept that the Roon smartphone app is lacking when it comes to playlists. But it is unacceptable that the PC-Roon-app doesn’t take advantage of the PC platform.
There is an entry in the Roon Community called “We want your ideas for Playlists!”: Really? Are you sure? The entry is from 2016 = 5 years ago - but it is just talk and no actions to improve playlists for 5 years , so I have stopped commenting. What’s the point?

If we could just have a library browsing section to the left showing all artists-albums-songs (‘folder-like tree’) and the actual Playlist to the right to which you can drag albums or songs + the ability to mark several songs and drag them up-n-down in the playlist, then that in itself would be a HUGE improvement.
(Such simple functionality will be a huge improvement. Really shows how poor and rudimentary playlists are in Roon today).
Would it really be that hard also to enable Copy-n-Paste of Playlists? Seems so…

1 Like

@ Charles_SniderChas Sniding: you are 100% right.
As things are today I only use Roon for these reasons: (1) SQ which is really excellent, (2) being able to have my Intel NUC based Roon Rock as an apparatus (not a “PC to fiddle with”) with my whole music library integrated on a 1.9 TB SSD and (3) the rather good meta-data integration.
The Roon team unfortunately doesn’t give a s**t about playlists for your own music collection.
If I could find an alternative system that gave me just point (1) and (2) above and which have decent playlist functionality I would switch immediately.
[You can also check my post above or below].

3 Likes

Yes and what about all the great music that’s been produced over the last 100 odd years we haven’t heard.

I hope for a better sound quality! I have my music on NAS, with Roon Core on SSD, and SOtM SMS-200 Ultra as streamer, witch is Roon Ready and Logitech Media Server ready. When I compare the two software, the music with Roon sounds less resolute, the bass less articulate, the scene and the separation of instruments deficient. I also compared them to Audirvana, which is a little better than LMS (LMS is free!), but superior to Roon in all aspects of sound reproduction quality. Added to this is the ability of LMS to display my own folder organization on the NAS! Hope that Roon team is doing some comparative listening too …

That’s all available to stream or buy, Roon can incorporate that easily… That’s the point of it all

Yes I realize that, it’s the time to listen to it all that’s the problem.

1 Like

Many would agree as I’ve seen the comment in other forums as well… for UI, the nod goes to Roon. For SQ, the nod goes to Audirvana. Roon SQ to me is very good and the UI is great. Audirvana has a poor UI but does sound at times more detailed. I use Roon more when I want to discover music or sift through artists and music rather than when I want to listen to a single recording critically. It just depends on your purpose for listening (and your system), but there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting Roon to continue to improve SQ.

What is “critical listening”? Just curious

This expression time and again turns up in equipment reviews, so I believe this is when a poor soul doesn’t listen to music anymore, but to the equipment…

14 Likes

Although Classical music is something that I have zero interest, at least the many improvements to it in 1.8 show that they are listening to the community (because I’ve seen many complaints about how Roon handles Classical). Hopefully these efforts result in improvements to all genres.

I’m still holding out hope for Roon Radio improvements such as less repetitiveness, more control over “tuning” it, and the ability to have the starting point be multiple sources (a playlist, several albums, a mix of genres, etc). It’d also be great to be able to combine 2+ stations into a single “mega station” that contains a random mix of songs from the parent stations.

1 Like

Also please expand the API. I would love to see more ability for developers to extend the functionality of Roon to add things that would never make it into the official app.

3 Likes