15 second delay when manually selecting 'Next Track' on local files

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>
Mac mini (M1, 2020), 8GB memory, , 265GB SSD, Ventura 13.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>
Swisscom Internet Router, wired inhouse network

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>
RME UC USB DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>
For albums in my local library it may take 15 seconds before the next track begins playing after pressing the “next track” icon. Sometimes the next track starts playing without noticeable delay. I don`t see a pattern.
In the example from the logfile entries below i see that after pressing “Next” the “Computed stats” entries are repeated 10 times and only afterwards the playback of the next track begins.
Besides the long time that each computation takes, this looks to me like a shortcoming in the program logic. Why can’t the calculation happen after starting the playback and why is one execution of the same statement not enough?

----------- Logfile ------------

50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:16 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1116ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:17 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1119ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:18 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1111ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:19 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1103ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:20 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1105ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:21 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1104ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:22 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1112ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:23 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1102ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:25 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1092ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:26 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1095ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:26 Trace: [broker/accounts] [heartbeat] now=23.12.2022 15:12:26 nextauthrefresh=23.12.2022 16:10:12 nextmachineallocate=23.12.2022 16:02:26
12/23 16:12:27 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1090ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:28 Debug: [music/profilestats] Computed stats in 1111ms, got 50 top albums, 50 top performers, 16 genres
12/23 16:12:28 Trace: [dbperf] flush 0 bytes, 0 ops in 10 ms (cumulative 28629048 bytes, 15518 ops in 11760 ms)
12/23 16:12:28 Trace: [library] endmutation in 14677ms

Hey @Patrick_Thibor,

Thank you for testing out removing the switch from your network path. I wanted to follow up on two points that were glazed over during troubleshooting:

• Disabling Sonarworks Sound ID - are you able to take a closer look into this?
  • Two IPs associated with the Mac Mini : Disable wifi from the router - did you manage to give this a try as well?

You mention you experienced the same issue when your local library was stored on another external drive - I’d be curious to see how things function if you set up a test watched folder that lives within the Mac mini core device (if you haven’t tried this out yet.)

Thanks for your continued patience. :+1:

The Roon core server (Mac Mini) is connected to the router via cable without any additional switch.
When you read my detailed description of the issue you may agree that i am not dealing with a network issue. Audio stream works perfectly fine. My issue is with the update of playback statistics and is consistently resolved for a couple of hours be restarting the roon server (the application, not the hardware).

Hi @Axel_Lesch,

to get this out of the way first: some weeks ago i already bypassed Sound ID by using a different audio output (pure WASAPI or ASIO). This did not change anything.
With all my observations about the issue that i collected and shared meanwhile i can exclude Sound ID as a component that is causing the trouble. Sound ID is only running on one of the devices i use for listening to music with Roon. The same issue with long delays appears independent of the endpoint that i use. Even if the one computer that is using Sound ID is switch off and i listen via iOS devices of the Mac Mini where Roon is running, im facing the same delay.
As stated many times already i have no issues with audio playback. No dropout, clicks or pops or anhing like this. The playback of a new track does not start before the playback statistics are updated.

BTW: I use Sound ID on the computer that i use for computer based music production. I am very sensitive about latency added to the audio path and i can assure you that Sound ID is adding less than 7 ms. My issue is the range of 15 to 20 seconds. We can continue to discuss Sound ID but i suggest to start a new thread for this, its not related to the issue of this tread.

PS: For me the database (in conjunction with the Roon server application) is still the most likely reason for the issue and i don`t rule it out. Two weeks ago i provide the database export to Roon but i did not hear anything back since then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @Patrick_Thibor,

I have moved your issue onto a new thread for clarity purposes, as the previous thread was too congested for our team to dig in further.

To confirm, there is no sample rate conversion happening when you experience the delay?

If you could please reproduce this issue under the specific conditions below, that would be helpful:

1. Please reproduce the long delay with your Core being completely idle (no other tasks or analysis, playback to other zones, etc, essentially making sure the core is doing as little as possible).
  2. Please provide the name of the track prior to transition, the track name after transition, and the specific date and time of the delay.
  3. We will also need the system logs from the Mac Mini, after you’ve reproduced the issue.

You can upload those here. Thanks.

Hi @benjamin,

This will be my final post on this matter.

I give up.

As many users did before me that shared the same issue.

You created a new post and did not include all the information that is relevant to the problem. Instead, you continue to research performance issues with my setup. You have not answered a single question I have asked in this thread. I believe I have provided enough evidence to support my position that the problem is generated within the Roon Server software with the log files I have already shared.

For the last time i describe what happens:

The problem is the update of the playback statistics. If everything works fine, then this update is performed once after finishing the playback of a track or after manually triggering the playback of a new track.

When I use Roon for a while, add new music and press the next key a few times, the update is not executed once per new track, but the update calculation is executed repeatedly. This only happens when the next key is pressed. It does not happen when a track is played to the end. I have seen up to 12 repetitions. Playback of the next title is not started until all update calculations are complete. Also, the time it takes to calculate a single update increases from a few milliseconds to a few hundred milliseconds. In total, this leads to a delay of up to 21 seconds between pressing next and the start of playback. This behavior is clearly shown in the log file.

This happens consistently at every endpoint and with every audio path. This happens with local files and Qubuz files.

After a restart of the Roon server software, the systems immediately behave correctly again.

I have no issues with streaming audio.

A software engineer familiar with the Roon code will be able to figure out under what circumstances the playback statistics update function is executed and why this can happen repeatedly.

3 Likes

Hi Patrick I too have started to experience delays when manually skipping tracks but it’s not all the time . Also noticed same behaviour when switching DSP presets where it is much longer pauses now than it ever used to be. I too now see the stats you mention. But it seems to be a buffering issue in my case as its not buffering for some reason, no loss of internet and happens for both local and streaming and on differernt zones. Its also no all the time which is annoying. Somethings changed in the playback engine somewhere thats causing this. They did hav cache issues with Qobuz/tidal streams so this seems related to this.

Hey @Patrick_Thibor,

I wanted to follow up on this thread to let you know we’ve released an improvement to this issue on the latest build today.

Please update your core and remotes at your earliest convenience and let me know how things perform. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @benjamin,

i am happy to confirm that the issue is resolved for me. I did not experience any serious delays between the playback of tracks and there are no more of these consecutives updates of playback statistics in the logfiles.

1 Like