192 files silent but running

Roon Core Machine

hp elite desk 16gig virtual. 320mhtz processor wired to router via cat 6 ethernet cable.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT router . Current model installed 15 /06 /2023

Connected Audio Devices

Bel Canto One Stream 24/192 connected ethernet to Bt Hub cat6 cable. Connected to Bel canto Pre/ Dac 2.7 via Digital 75ohm BNC cable.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon not playing 192 tracks athough they play in Quobus. A couple of the 178 tracks play and the display on the streamer and pre amp show 178. ( Michael Jackson Thriller was the test) Streaming device shows the same.

When playing 192 tracks the Bel Canto Pre / Dac 2.7 shows the volume and a line next to it where it would normaly show the frequency.

if I use the analogue outputs from the Bel Canto One Streamer to the Bel Cnto 2.7 Dac then everything works fine? The displays on the streamer and pre/ dac show the correct information and the tracks play perfectly. But not with the digi 75 ohm cable between the units. Yes I have tried three cables and none of them work.

Photos included playing michael jackson 178 track perfectly and when I try to play 192 just shows a line on the Pre amp.

Michael Jackson seems to be a Qobuz issue*; have you tried a different 192 file from Qobuz?

*I say that because the 192/176.4 issue occurs, for me, with Qobuzā€™ own software outside of Roon.

I think I will go with Tidal, The file sizes are more appropriate to my system for some reason. I can play 176 but not 192 ā€¦ Maybe down to my router and transfer rates? I donā€™t know. I can play directly from Qobuz but not through Roon. However, if I use ASIO THROUGH COMPUTER USB to my pre-amp rather than streamer to preamp everything is fine??

Forget the Michael Jackson track as that is just confusing everything and seems to be a labeling error. Choose another 192 track on Qobuz, like ā€œMission Bellā€ by Fleetwood Mac on the album ā€˜Kiln Houseā€™.

You are saying that if your chain is.

Core PC > USB> Pre-Amp > 75ohm BNC > DAC

Then it plays fine. But, if your chain is

Core PC>Ethernet> Streamer >ethernet>Pre-Amp> 75ohm BNC>DAC

That it does not?

If I have not got the chains right can you detail them like I did above

Still no solution here. Also no solution from Bel Canto who say it is a Roon issue as their DAC can read 192. But I knew that. So still no support from Roon just [moderated] comments from some of the community members that are not wanted. This is a tech issue and not for the layman. I would like this sorting or may contest my subscription with PayPal.

I understand your frustration but I, as others too, fail to recognize how Roon support should be able to help you with your case. Youā€™ve already proven that there is no issue for the Streamer to receive the 192kHz signal from Roon.

Also the DAC seems to have no general issue to handle 192kHz signals, I guess?

So it looks like the problem is solely your connection between your Streamer and DAC ā€“ nothing Roon support can fix. So what could be the cause?

• Firmware issue when handling data from Roon
    Sounds unlikely to me, needs another e.One Stream unit to verify, would need a new firmware from the manufacturer to fix
  • Hardware issue
    Bad solder joint, dried out capacitor, ā€¦, would need repair/replacement of the unit, could be either a defect on the sending or receiving (streamer or DAC) unit

In any case you could do some more troubleshooting to try narrowing it down:

• Play 192kHz content trough the streamer to the DAC using another method than Roon (DLNA for example) to help determine if the issue is isolated to Roon playback
  • Use a different connection method (AES or TosLink) ā€“ maybe only the SPDIF connection is faulty
  • Use a (borrowed) streamer to send 192kHz content to the DAC using SPDIF to help determine if the issue is with the streamer or the DAC
  • Use a (borrowed) DAC to receive 192kHz content from the streamer using SPDIF to help determine if the issue is with the streamer or the DAC

As @BlackJack says, S/PDIF provides no signalling, so neither Roon nor any other music player will ā€œseeā€ the DAC. All they ā€œknowā€ is that 192 kHz is passed to the input of the S/PDIF interface.

Since 192 kHz is the upper limit for S/PDIF, the first thing Iā€™d, look at is the cable. This should be 75 ohm coaxial terminated with 75 ohm BNC connectors.

As a first step Iā€™d try a different cable.

Something like this ā€¦

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrik-Van-Damme-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B079M6GRBR/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=2VXCCKMVSN5L5&keywords=van+damme+s%2Fpdif+bnc&qid=1689064446&sprefix=van+damme+s%2Fpdif+bnc%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-5

Sent the 2.7 DAC in to be looked at with a BelCanto Authorised dealer to be checked and they said it is working as it should. They were not very clear but said it could be an issue between the clocking on the Streamer when used as a digital into the DAC. The Firmware is current by the way. I have tried my mateā€™s Chord Dave Dac and that works perfectly. So there is an issue somewhere with the architecture of the Bel Canto 2.7 DAC. if any one else is using a Bel Canto DAC 2.7 successfully I would be interested to know.

1 Like

Yes I have tried different digital Cables. I have an Audience Ohno cable and a couple of cheaper 75ohm cables. All donā€™t work. Same result.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.