2 Channel DSD playback noise

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2 independent systems have the same problem:
System 1)Merging Technologies NADAC PLAYER/Version 1.7 build 528
System 2)Merging Technologies HAPI/RavRock/Version 1.7 build 528
System 1 and 2 are connected to the internet only to perform updates.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
System:
System 1) Connected to Cisco Switch #1 SG350 to Windows PC running Roon remote (v1.7 build 528)
System 2) Connected to Cisco Switch #2 SG350 to Windows PC running Roon remote (v1.7 build 528)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

System 1) NADAC Player, PC connected thru switch via Ethernet connectors
System 2) HAPI, RavRock, PC connected thru switch via Ethernet connectors

Description Of Issue

Red book CD, DXD-multichannel, DSF/DFF -multichannel files play normally. DSF/DFF- 2 channel files play with a steady and regular thumbing noise. Audio playback set for 5.1 with channel mapping. No improvement with audio playback setting to 2 channel with channel mapping. These files played normally with audio playback set for 5.1 with channel mapping with version 1.7 build 505 and previous editions. The problem occurred in v 1.7 build 511, 521 and 528.

Hi @Cory_Cookingham,

Could you please upload the problematic DSD files to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and private message me a link to them (click my name -> message)?

Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily host the Roon Core on the Windows PC currently running Roon Remote?

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Merging Technologies uses Revenna AES67 network to connect the HAPI with Roon Core in the RavRock (NUC) thru an ALSA driver. The NADAC Player uses Revenna AES67 network and has the Roon Core installed in the player. The PC operates as a Roon remote. It is not possible to use a PC for the Roon Core. The DSD files are not corrupted. I have asked Merging Technologies for help.

Using the ASIO driver allows for normal playback of all music files. This is an ALSA problem. Thank you.

Hello @Cory_Cookingham,

Merging is aware of this issue and working on a fix. I recommend reaching out to their support team for further assistance.

-John

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.