2 Issues – “fun” & games with Roon/Windows 10 duplicate file deletion & Tag deletion

This PC: DESKTOP-G22G84B, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.79 GHz, installed RAM 64GB Over 30,000 music albums on 3 HDDS, Roon1 (8TB), Roon 2 (8TB) & Roon 3 (6TB) .

Problem 1 – deleting duplicate files (and this is despite a clean up of the library via settings)

There seems no rhyme or reason to what is going on. I check both albums before deciding which one to delete – usually choosing the latest entry which is usually on the currently recording HDD Roon 3.

Sometimes no problem, other times only one of the two is able to be deleted but in some cases neither album has permission to be deleted and access to info on the file info tells me the files no longer exist! A porky pie of course. And even more strangely both of the “non accessible” albums later reappear as if newly installed items in “by date adde” display despite having been entered into Roon months ago and months apart!!

But I’ve tried to be cunning when this happens and access data on file info of the accessible “duplicate”, then go to Windows Explorer and eliminate that other rogue file on another drive. In the past this has meant the album cover graphics disappear from display but now it remains! A rebooting of Roon does eliminate the fake display but a PC reboot is needed to be able to access info on these rogue albums once access to data has been denied.

Tidying up duplicates should not be so frustrating but why are only some albums difficult?

Problem 2 – Elimination of unwanted tags

I understand the structure of Roon does not enable editing of tags – OK I can live with that. But in the past, if no albums had tag “Music X” attached, then “Music X” would vanish from the list of tags. In the past I have used this to advantage when I’ve decided to change the tag structure and split all albums previously designated “Music X” tags into two different tags “Music Y” and Music Z”. With no more albums tagged with “Music X” that tag would vanish in the past, but not now – the rotten thing is still there clogging up the list of tags. Is that a deliberate change in Roon or a by-product of some other change? I would appreciate attention to that please.

More Information

Afterr posting the above I went back to eliminate duplicates from the list generated via Focus → Inspector → Duplicates. That generates the window shown here

Looking into the first of those duplicates Trio Metamorphosi : Schumann Piano Trios 1 & 2 I was denied deletion of one supposedly on Roon 3 as the insertion date was recent. So I went to the second one to find file access data as shown here

But search as I might, I could not find that file on Roon 3 but when I deleted the file from Roon 1, both graphics disappeared!!
Fortunately I had a back up of all Roon 1 music files so reinstated that file. Hey presto a false message of duplications reappeared with both “duplicates” indicating installation in Roon today.

My (tentative) conclusion: Roon is displaying false information about duplicate albums. There are NO duplications of that album discussed above and I see that others are shown as duplications whern they are not.

Very misleading!!!

I finally discovered that with that Trio album there are genuine duplicates with one in Roon 1 HDD and the other in Roon 2 HDD. Deletion of either from Roon was denied but I finally eliminated one copy via deletion from Roon 2 using Windows Explorer.
So the following puzzles remain from this exercise -

1. Why was deletion. using Roon edit, denied for both albums?
  2. Why was the “Added” date of both changed?
    3, Why do both albums still display in a Roon window when one has been deleted via Windows Explorer? (the only way to rermove that display is to reboot Roon)
    And it does seem the Focus → Inspector → Duplicates function is throwing up false, as well as genuine, duplicates so caution is required using this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.