Roon Core Machine

NUC7i3BNH
Serial #94C691A8630F
The NUC is running Roon version 2,0, build 1244
98% of 55 GB available.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear ORBI mesh router fed via microwave link from ISP
ISP is now Orange (was Cogent)
Final wired route from Orbi to Roon is via DEVOLO wireline device.

Connected Audio Devices

RME DAC connected to an iMac via USB
Naim Mu-So 2nd gen via DEVOLO
Mola Mola Makua DAC/Preamp via DEVOLO

Number of Tracks in Library

8,000 tracks stored on a Synology NAS

Description of Issue

I have checked: Fing says UPnP is enabled

I have tried on/offing everything

Port forwarding has been set manually.

IP address of my NUC is set manually.

ISP has even set my external IP address to static.

I have tried different ports.

I am on my second router.

I got my ISP to switch me away from Cogent to Orange, and this made the Multiple NAT problem disappear. Yay.

But I still have this error message, which I do not understand…
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 85.aaa.bbb.ccc:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“85.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">501ActionFailed</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Can anyone suggest what I try now?

Roon ARC was introduced with Roon 2.0. Therefore, please confirm that this information is correct, and also confirm the version of the app used to provide the diagnostic message.

ooops, sorry, I just cut and pasted the standard intro data from an earlier post.

The NUC is running Roon version 2,0, build 1244. This is the latest version I think.

I have now edited the original post. Sorry for wasting your time.

1 Like

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router.

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router? Please supply details of Orange modem, too.
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region? Details of the plan may help.
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router.

It may seem strange, but after 6 months of fighting the MultipleNAT problem, this was actually a very cheering thing to hear.

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
    UPnP is turned on. I even have ON/OFF it. The router’s portman table is showing the Roon core correctly set:
    YES TCP 55000 55000 192.168.1.30
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
    I do not understand, but I think I have achieved this.

In the router’s port forwarding, I have set up a manually set the port :
2 Rooon 55000 55000 192.168.1.30

• Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
    Yes, it does. IP and port number is the same.
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
    VPN is off. I do not have a firewall.

Under access control the router is reporting:
Allowed ROCK 192.168.1.41 94:C6:91:A8:63:0F Wired

• Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

I do not think it is in bridge mode. It is getting its IP address from the ISP and assigning all the local IP numbers itself.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
    Netgear Orbi
    |Hardware Version|RBR850|
    |—|—|
    |Firmware Version|V4.6.14.3_2.3.12|
    |GUI Language Version|V3.0.1.54_2.1.30.3|
    |Operation Mode|Router|

Please supply details of Orange modem, too.
There is not an orange modem. I just have a cat 6 cable coming out of the WAN port, which goes via a power over ethernet connector to a 6" microwave link pointing at the ISP.

1. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    No.
  1. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region? Details of the plan may help.
    ISR comunicaciones. They get their supply via Orange in Madrid.
  1. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?
    Do not understand. I do not think my modem is in bridge mode.

Does this help?

I tried an open port check, https://canyouseeme.org/

I used the Public IP that fing reports. And entered the new random port that I am trying at the moment and got this message:
Error: I could not see your service on xxx.50.1.18 on port (59659)
Reason: Connection refused
Your IP:
xxx.50.1.18
Port to Check:

You need to setup the same port as shown in Roon > Settings > Roon ARC in your router, and then test this.

1 Like

Yes, I realise that.

I originally had it set to Roon’s default, 55000, but later in the day, after reading a post on this forum from someone who had had some success with changing the default I tried a weird port and picked 59659.

Just to confirm: This is what Roon is currently listening to:

And this is how the router’s port forwarding is set up:

I think that this is consistent.

My error message remains as:
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 85.aaa.bbb.ccc:59659, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“85.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">501ActionFailed</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Try removing the Devolo’s from the equation. Plug your core directly in to your primary router. See if that works.

1 Like

I have tried that before, but I gave it another go. I plugged the NUC directly into the router connected to the WAN.

No difference.

I have found in the past that the devolo devices seem invisible to routers, acting like a simple cable.

1 Like

If your ISP box isn’t just a modem, it’ll have router functions. This needs to be bridged so that your Orbi assigns IP addresses.

Ensure your ISP box is in Bridge mode. If this cannot be done you need to disable the Orbi router functionality.

I think the above applies to your Orbi system.

@support anything else being missed here?

I do not have a box from my ISP. Everyone thinks I must have, but I do not need a modem from my ISP as I am microwave linked to my ISP’s servers directly.

When I started out on the rocky road of trying to get Roon ARC to work back in Oct '22, lots of people here insisted that I MUST have a box from my ISP. It even got as crazy of me posting pictures of the back of my router and the WAN cabling. Eventually all accepted that there was no NAT, no router, other than my own.

If you want I can post link to that series of posts.

I wonder if your ISP is blocking port forwarding

So you have PTP or similar?!

He says no, but he is buying a service in from someone else. So he may not know. Other devices I have in the house that use UPnP (security devices, remote access to my storage) seem to work fine.

My double NAT problem ended up being inside Cogent. My ISP knew nothing about their second NAT until i managed to find its IP address by doing tracer route pings.

I even got rung up by some american at cogent, who patronised me rotten, and told me that I had two NATs in my house. I gave him the IP address of the box that housed the second NAT, a rough location, and its manufacturer, and he went very quiet for a few minutes, and after an eon of dead air, said “You may have a point, I will get back to you”. I never heard from them again.

Recently my ISP switched me from Cogent to Orange. I noticed because the speed and reliability of my service shot up. Later I realised roon had stopped reporting multiple NATs. So I started to hope I might be able to use ARC. But it seems no.

Oh well, I guess it was not to be. Pity, I would have liked to use Roon while out of the house. I am away a lot.

1 Like

What is PTP?

Does this reflect you in anyway.

Yes. It looks like my connection to my ISP. A direct microwave link to the building housing my ISP.

Cool

So you should have dish (of sorts) on an outside wall of your property, but no interfacing box between it and your Orbi setup.

I’m seeing two different IP addresses there. When I change my core configuration, either hardware (I have two NUCs) or in some cases software (I’m presently switching between ROCK and Windows) I have to reconfigure port forwarding on my router to compensate. I delete the old port forwarding rules and put new in. It is the IP that changes and that stops it working.

Click on this link. Shields up!

Click on proceed.

Type your port for Roon Arc and click on the user specified port. What does it return with?

Screenshot would be good. If the port is open it should show a fail. That’s good in this case as you have opened the port. If it doesn’t and shows as a pass or other then it’s something else. The ISP more than likely I think.