88,2kHz/24bit playback issue with NAD M10 v2 [caused by Dirac]

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro 2018, Core i7 2,6 GHz, 16Gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi connected AMP and Roon Core, both with good/excellent sign strength, -50dBm.
Deco M9 Plus Mesh network. 750mBps fiber connection to ISP. No VPN.
Reset several times. No solution.

Connected Audio Devices

I connect the Roon Core to a NAD M10 v2 amplifier using RAAT.
Sometimes use Apple Music from MacBook or iPhone using Airplay, no problems then.

Number of Tracks in Library

8442 tracks, all files on lokal harddrive, no problem with these.

Description of Issue

When playing some albums, streaming from Qobuz, it won’t play, just silence for a few seconds until it skips to next song. This happens every time with my favorite album, Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories. Its a 88,2kHz/24bit, sampling

I have tried deleting the album from my library and added it again, no solution.
It plays on the MacBooks local speakers and on my other connected speakers as Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i. It plays from the Qobuz App when using Airplay. The problem seems to be between Roon using RAAT and the NAD M10 v2 amp. Resetting the Amp helps for a brief period until the problem re-appears.

It happens every alway with this album, but the problem has appeared with order albums sporadically.

Hi, despite the good signal strength, it’s highly likely this skipping is down your Roon Core machine (and to a lesser degree the NAD) being connected via WiFi which is being pushed esp. when streaming HiRes Audio as in this case 88.2Hz 24 bit.

ISP --(Qobuz Stream)–> Router --(Qobuz Stream)–> Wifi Access Point --(Qobuz Stream)–> Roon Core …
Roon Core --(PCM)–> Wifi Access Point …
WiFi Access Point --(PCM)–> NAD

That’s 3 WiFi hops, and with WiFi not being full duplex even with a good signal it can be an issue.
I say “can” as some installations are fine, but many have not been and switch to a wired setup was less of headache than attempting to troubleshoot WiFi contention issues.

My recommendation … as a test temporarily connect them to an [unmanaged] switch via Cat5e or Cat6 cables …

• Test 1, The Mac
  • Test 2, The NAD
  • Test 3, Both devices

And see what results you get.

1 Like

PCM in these sections I think, so worse than flac.

1 Like

You right, I’ve corrected my post.

1 Like

Do you enable IPv6? If yes, disable it and see if everything is OK.
I think it is a known issue in certain systems.

So after doing some search I could not find any other files with that sampling rate (88,2kHz/24Bit) and started to wonder if it is a DAC issue. So I changed the sampling rate limit on the unit (see picture) to max 48kHz/24bit, then It played flawlessly.

Any thoughts on this explanation?
Is it a faulty DAC, should I contact NAD to get my unit replaced, or is this a known issue with the DAC in the NAD M10 v2?

Set a cd res file to update TO 88.2 and see if the error occurs.

Excellent suggestion! When upsampling from 44,1kHz/16bit to 88,2kHz the same problems appears. So I guess my DAC does not handle 88,2kHz?

The DAC in the NAD M10 v2 is 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC. From what I can work out from googling it, it should handle 88,2kHz as well.

Just wondering whether you are using DIRAC. There was an issued reported about DIRAC and 88kHZ playback.

1 Like

Do you get the same for 96/24 files? If not then it rules out network as that’s more heavy than 88.2/24. If you do then it’s likely your Wi-Fi isn’t up to the core and endpoints being all wireless. Hard wire your core and see if it persists. It’s best to have core on wired if possible.

1 Like

Ahh, missed that that AMP comes with Dirac.

@user257
Yes, I second BCBC;s comment about Dirac. Try turning OFF Dirac and see if that corrects the issue.

I use Dirac, indeed the problem was solved when I turned it off.

My solution will be to downsample my 88,2kHz files rather than turning off Dirac as this does wonders for the sound in my room.

I have reported it to NAD so they hopefully can provide a fix for this as it is purely software related.

Thank you @BCBC and @Rugby for excellent inputs and suggestions, You provided the solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.