8th Generation NUC's announced

Don’t understand what is the meaning of NUC8I7BEH if NUC7I7DN copes with even the most demanding tasks in the Roon (converting to DSD512 with maximum settings). And the advantage of NUC7I7DN is a smaller value of TDP (15W vs 28W) and, accordingly, the ability to use the fanless chassis Akasa Plato . :frowning:

2 Likes

HQPlayer, multiple use device, future proofing, availability and any number of other reasons personal to the user.

That is one great review. For $500, it seems like a worthy competitor to the Mac Mini.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a review the 8i5BEK/H.

TL;DR: the 8i5 NUC is about as fast as the 6i7 Skull Canyon NUC, and substantially faster (in multi-core performance) than the 7i7BNK/H NUC, which was also a 28W TDP quad-core.

1 Like

NuC 7 becoming very rare in the UK.

I’m now using NUC8i7 in bridge mode to my DAC. completely isolated from my network and using Fiber. The results are astonishing. And using the onboard ethernet to control it.

Which models of the 8th gen allow legacy boot to install ROCK?

i’m using NUC8I7BEH.

Not quite:
NUC8i3BEH/K: i3-8109U, Passmark 6248
MacMini 2018: i3-8100, Passmark 8097
Quite a difference. Similar difference for i5 and i7

Oh, interesting! Thanks. Where does this number come from? I hadn’t seen any benchmarks for that machine yet – Ars Technica seems to not be quite sure even what chip is being used.

The i3 8100 is a guess on my part (i3 and 3.6GHz). Could also be an i3 9000 or 9100, but that would not make a huge difference. The performance per core is not really different between 8th gen and 9th gen Intel and the 3.6GHz was stated by Apple, which would point to the i3 8100.
The Passmark score is for the processor, not for the machine. This is of course disregarding any throttling that the machines might have under load.
The main difference is the NUC is using a low TPD CPU, the MacMini a Desktop CPU.

1 Like

The significant difference may be number of cores. A four core processor would score higher on that sort of measure, but we are told single core performance is more important in Roon. 6248 divided by two is better than 8097 divided by four.

1 Like

NUC8i3BEH/K: i3-8109U, Geekbench Single Core 4805
iMac18.1: i3-8100, Geekbench Single Core 4786

For Roon it’s probably a wash. For general use, when several cores are used the i3-8100 will win hands down. It really should, as its TPD is significantly higher:
i3-8109U: TPD 28W
i3-8100: TPD 65W
An i3-8100 running only one core is for all practical purposes like an i3-8109U running only one core. The i3-8100 simply has three more available, whereas the i3-8109U only has one more. TPD seems to be around 15W per core.
But I agree, definitely no need to feed four cores, if only one is going to be used
Review of NUC8i5BEH/K is now up also.

My next ROCK will probably not be an 8th gen NUC.
asrock Deskmini 110 with i3-7350K (2x4.2GHz), runs ROCK
NUC8 i3-8109U: Geekbench Single Core: 4805
NUC8 i7-8559U: Geekbench Single Core: 5072
i3-7350K: Geekbench Single Core: 5662
The i3-7350K is the last i3 with two cores. i3-8350K already has four cores, lower frequency and a lower Geekbench Single Core score of 5469. Newer is not always better.
In order to beat the i3-7350K for single core performance one needs to go into 8th gen i5 or i7 territory, which will have 90Watt TPD and not fit into asrock Deskmini 110 any more.

I too am looking at NUC8i5BEH. My understanding is performance exceeds that of the NUC7i7BNH and it has less and ‘better’ noise due to changed internal cooling. It can run a lower CPU clock (2.3GHz) when highest performance is not needed. Idle power draw is less than half that of the NUC7i7BNH.

All that said, even the NUC8i3BEH might have equivalent performance to the NUC7i7BNH when used as ‘only’ a ROCK, with even (slightly) lower noise and power draw than the NUC8i5BEH.

Either costs less than the NUC7i7BNH, currently.

Other thoughts?

For those that was searching for a good deal on an 8th Gen … NewEgg is selling the i7 model for $379. That’s a really good deal.

Link

please guys be patient with the total n00b: seriously considering replacing my Mac mini with a Cirrus7 and run just ROCK on it

question: will i7-8559U work or I’d better stick to a i7-8650U machine?

All indications here seem to say that either processor can have more performance than is needed for ROCK to ‘work’, at a maximum level. I don’t know if there are any compatibility issues with the Cirrus7 system implementations of either CPU.

See also here:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/support-of-intel-nuc8-bean-canyon/53454

1 Like

I have the NUC8i5 and find it excellent. Fan noise is manageable. And when upsampling to DSD512, the CPU usage indicator (in Roon) never goes below 2X. Please note that I don’t use the EQ function. Running thru the USBridge into the Holo Cyan DSD, I’m quite pleased with the results.

Bad news and good news -

OTOH - Remaining GEN8 stock shold be cheaper.