96khz > 48khz sample rate conversion

I will when I get home.

Thx for your help

I imagine like others have said, Chromecast implementation is not offering up the higher bit rate so Roon is downsampling. I would try to use Chromecast from another app such as Tidal or Qobuz and see if it does the same. This would then indicate its a hardware implementation of Chromecast that’s the issue and not Roon.

Some devices support more capabilities when playing “attached” media than “streaming” media. For example, my Oppo can support DSD if playing a disc or playing off a USB stick, but not when Roon is streaming to it. I’m not saying this is the answer to your question, but it’s a possibility.

@thomas_clark1 -

Curious, did you resolved your problem?

Either you didn’t tell them you’re using Roon and using network playback, or they are not talking about Roon.

The simple answer is that with network playback you’re stuck at 48kHz because your network audio device is not Roon Ready.

You can, however, try other workaround depends on which other non-network input you have, such as toslink.

Not along ago a customer bought our streamer (Roon Ready network input) to connect to his active speaker of the same brand via coaxial. In your case it’d be toslink (optical).

1 Like

No…no idea where to go from here

Some sort of Rpi, etc. endpoint with an appropriate HAT?

(@wklie?)

I only know our product supports the needed toslink optical output. :slight_smile: I’m sure there are many experts here who can point him to other low cost HAT alternatives.

1 Like

@thomas_clark1 -

Perhaps an RPi with this HAT attached?
https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus/

I think Allo.com has something similar, already pre-built.

thx for the suggestion…im completely ignorant of this stuff…

would something like this work?

starting to see i will have to buy something to transmit to my A9 instead of my IMAC?

Shouldn’t think that will work. It’s just another DAC, it doesn’t have optical out and it isn’t a Roon endpoint.

It’s fairly simple to get RPi board and attach the HAT I pointed you to. Install the DietPi OS w/Roon Bridge, follow its instructions and you’re good to go.

A computer shop will probably do it for you.

This is all dependent on the problem being that you need optical input to your speakers.

i would love to try your suggestion but embarrassed to say I don’t even know where to install that thing…doesnt seem as though it would fit into my IMAC.

as I have said I’m pretty ignorant of this stuff. not even sure i have a good view of the overall solution…what plugs into where???etc etc

that piece you recommend looks like it is external to my MAC (think I see cases that are also sold)?

The RPi is a stand alone piece that takes USB input from your Mac.

The HAT I recommended, which plugs into the RPi board, will take the RPi USB input and convert it to Optical.

DietPi OS will install Roon Bridge.

Again, this is all dependent on your problem being resolved by having an optical input to your speakers.

Ok-you are being extremely patient which i appreciate.

So the HAT “board” connect s to the RPI.

My A9 does not have an Optical input…so the HAT addresses that?

OK, now I’m confused.

This is from the A9 website description -
“Connections
1 x Line-in / Optica combi-jack”

Connections

1 x Line-in / Optica combi-jack
1 x Ethernet

Im just not seeing it…perhpas my a9m is not “3rd gen”?

Aha, it looks like you need RCA inputs.

What’s that USB port all about?