A CD revival ? What a surprise!

Record player; a music reproduction thing that, in order to have decent sound, has to compensate for every fault you ever could imagine. :nerd_face:

… i am on the lookout for an Accuphase CD player to participate in the revival :partying_face:

1 Like

I thought it was funny as we were already in an off topic discussion (too much sun I think)

I thought you wrote that you were not going to buy and CDS and all that came to mind was you managing to walk past a flea market without going inside. Nah I didn’t see it happening :rofl:

1 Like

40 years seems about the right time to get back into actually playing CDs rather than just buying and ripping them :+1:

1 Like

In a prior life I had a discussion about how could one be off topic in an off topic forum.
I was being sarcastic of course but it is a good point that even in an off topic forum there is still a thread starter to try and stay on topic with.
I believe there is more latitude given in off topic threads though and I am certainly as guilty as anyone :innocent:.
In this case it was still all music and older format related so not too much of a stretch.
Good job as I would have to self moderate again which at 7.30am is not a good start to my day.

2 Likes

Given that I am almost as bad as you, you won’t hear any complaints from me :grin:

In my mind off topic=open season :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Lateral flow tests have come a long way since those days…:joy:

3 Likes

I have one for sale on eBay at the mo’ Ged, if you’re interested?

3 Likes

If I sold my hifi, mine and my wife’s cars it might just be enough. But all things being equal I’ll stick with the second hand £300 normal CD player thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

£300??
That must be snazzy.
My Sony DVD I use via spdif cost me $4 including a working remote in clean nick from a charity shop!:innocent:
And it plays DVD-A discs…score.

3 Likes

I clicked on this link before, not sure how long it was before I was brought around, probably by the use of smelling salts :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Same here — tapes, vinyl, CDs — never again, please. I must be nostalgia-proof.

I didn’t pay £300 I was just guessing as it came out in 1999.:relaxed:

1 Like

I think you’re off topic, again :joy:

2 Likes

The right question though would be “Do you still buy CDs?” Listening to them is different than ripping and streaming - which is what I do when I buy them.

Or…do you still buy NEW CDs?

Honestly don’t remember the last brand new one I purchased.

Lots and lots of charity shop bargains and a few rarities from eBay and Discogs not on any streaming service…yet.

I think the last actual new CD I got came free with the vinyl box set of Wildflower by Tom Petty.

Read that article a few minutes ago and voted in the poll.
Was a CD buyer only but currently listening to David Sylvian on CD.
I also buy a lot of old CDs to rip for Roon as well

Ok we crossed, got 9 CDs from a charity shop on the weekend and ordered 4 from eBay.
Bought 2 vinyls and 4 digital albums at CD quality or above.

I feel at home in the freak show :scream::grin:

2 Likes

My order of preference used to be:

1. digital album
  2. new CD
  3. used CD

#2 and #3 were a bit of a conundrum though. I don’t think new media should be produced anymore (for the sake of the environment), but used CDs are probably hurting artists, as I don’t think anyone deletes their rips when selling or donating. I chose the least of two evils, so #2 is out.

1 Like

I still prefer to buy new CDs. :grin: :+1:

1 Like