A comment on the price

I buy an audio software that is way too expensive in my petite world and the sound it produces is worse than other software available. How would I describe my action?
I would at least think twice before buying a product that leads to unhappiness and drama.

1 Like

@miklats

I would describe your action as illogical. Why would you buy something for X dollars that you donā€™t like the sound of if you have other options that sound better at some fraction of X dollars?

You describe what I would think of myself in a very friendly way.

$499 lifetime or $119 per year.

https://roonlabs.com/pricing.html

Typo. /10char.

1 Like

For me, I would describe this as my relationship with Roon. I buy Roon not for the sound quality it provides, but because Roon affords a way to access, relate to, explore, and manage my large music library that has no remote equal.

You have a trial period and a 30 day money back optionā€¦so if you messed up then you have options.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Trial_information

Setting aside comparing Roonā€™s price to other audiophile playback software, I do feel Roon offers something entirely unique. Once you figure out all the cool ways one can organize local and streaming libraries, and the manner in which Roon enables deep exploration of the entire collection from so many different angles, itā€™s reasonable to conclude that paying $500 for Roon is a bit like buying a wonderful, and comparatively inexpensive audio component.

If high end manufacturers of audio equipment had the capacity to create something like Roon, then this Roon level performance would be only available in very expensive gear. In that light, itā€™s wonderful that Roon is available at what could be viewed as a bargain basement price because its not tied to any one audiophile manufacturer, and can even be run off a PC/Mac that nearly everyone already owns.

The ultimate value of Roon is entirely dependent upon whether or not the Roon language and way of exploration speaks to you. I totally get why something like Audirvana is sufficient, even preferable to many. For me, the deeper I delve into Roon, the more difficult it is to ever see leaving.

5 Likes

I wish I knew how to do this. Anybody aware of a good source to help with this? Something like Roon DSP for dummies?

This thread sets out a guide to room correction. If you search for other DSP topics such as house curve or PEQ Settings you will find other threads.They arenā€™t topics that can be readily simplified; there is a learning curve.

2 Likes

Indeed, its just that first post from Magnus in that thread on room correction. Once you bought the mic, its pretty straightforward and it just takes 15 mins per zone. For headphones its even easier as you can download the right convolution filter for your make and model. See here:Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

1 Like

For me Roon is overpriced. Iā€™m saying that although Iā€™ve payed the lifetime price. I did it because, I havenā€™t found a better/nicer solution. I still like iTunes for its management features and the scriptability. In Roon the edit features are awkward, but I donā€™t use them. And Iā€™m glad that I donā€™t need them a lot in Roon because of its great identify feature.

Roon is not as polished as I would expect for this price. The mobile Apps have a lot of shortcomings. They look like theyā€™re just ported from the Desktop. They donā€™t use lots of cool features iOS gives to the developers. No drag & drop, no native scrolling, no gestures, the apps donā€™t save their state and have to reconnect each launch, no split screen support, ugly font rendering on iPhone XR, no integrated browser, no pdf viewer, only landscape support on iPad, blurry images on retina iPad Pro etc.

I think for this price roonlabs should develop native apps or at least should use native UI frameworks. So I cloud adjust font size, use voice over, the contextual menu etc.

Well, Roon is still great for browsing my library, but it was a learning process to forget typical gestures in iOS. For friends the App looks great and they like how I use it, but when they try to use it for themself they hate it.

In addition I invested the money, because I see a lot of potential and I hope some shortcomings get fixed over the months or years. Iā€™ve already see some great updates, but most of the new features are out of my focus.

7 Likes

I can understand peopleā€™s point about the cost but at the end of the day there will always be a limited number of people who want this type of software and are prepared to configure their setup (including hardware) to run it. If we want Roon to continue the development of the ecosystem then someone needs to pay for it. Software development is not cheapā€¦ If we paid more then it would be likely that more functionality could be added and more testing could be done before release and we would have an even better product but at a cost. Roon need to find the balance between cost, functionality and quality - not an easy thing to do but I think they seem to have a reasonable perspective on these things. Even if 100,000 people a year paid the subscription that is only $12m or so a year which needs to pay for running their business. This is why I think the lifetime subscription is a bit of a bargain to be honestā€¦

5 Likes

Product pricing is based on what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $119 per year or $499 for lifetime, then the price is not too high. Itā€™s that simple.

3 Likes

I went lifetime in March of this year. And I couldnā€™t be happier!

1 Like

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve

think in the near future a worthy competitor to ROON will appear, and these will be guys from China or Russia. It is not possible for ROON to cut coupons for a long time with such a pricing policy. Look at the cars. Once even American cars were bought, and now only Chinese cars will soon remain

I will add. TIDAL Master in USA costs 20 $ in Russia I pay 2.5 $ I didnā€™t notice that the guys from TIDAL were in a pre-bankruptcy state.

Tesla, GMC, Ford, Volkswagen, Daimler, BMW, all crushed by the Chinese cars :roll_eyes:

Seriously though, SAIC may barely fall in the top ten car companies,and no other Chinese automobile manufacturer is even close.

For sure, but I have my doubts whether itā€™ll be Russia or China. Most likely itā€™ll be a young startup in the US or Europe that shifts the entire paradigm. :thinking:

Given label pricing, TIDAL probably makes similar gross profit per user in both those regions. They donā€™t set their own prices, the labels set the price and the margin.

LOL!!! What does this even mean?

1 Like