A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

The spl meter was reading 75 at the time. Will have a look…

Also toggle the button with vertical lines up to the right so you get logarithmic scale, very hard to see lower frequency like it is now, and that’s the most important part usually.

The problem with volume might be this setting (from EQ window → Settings → Appearance)

Thanks again for the help Magnus. I found the log scale, but can’t find the “Adjust RTA Levels”. No sign of an appearance setting in the EQ Window. I searched the REW manual as well and couldn’t find anything about RTA levels.

–Peter

Its regular settings in EQ window and in there an appearance button (at least on Windows version). Your target curve is also flat which will not sound good. See picture at step 11 for LF/HF start/end/slope.

No sign of an appearance menu in the EQ window on the Mac.
Yes saw that about some people preferring a boosted bass and dimmed treble. Right now I’m trying this after loading my convolution from REW. I’m probably fighting myself because I have a sub and my bass was higher before the convolution. So I might get rid of it all :-).

This is my signal path:

1 Like

I see a few waterfall diagrams posted here, but not sure how to generate one in my room. Pointers appreciated.

Use REW, do measurement and generate waterfall graph. You need to do sweep measurements instead of RTA though since phase/timing information is needed.

Sorry. Using REW, instead of pink noise I generate sweeps. Which tool in REW do I use to record it, not RTA? Using RTA “spectrum” shows me as expected, “waterfall” is empty. Thanks.

Use the “Measure” button up to the left. It will play a few seconds signal going from 20Hz to 20kHz and record phase information as well, which is needed for graphs like waterfall.

This is the traditional way to measure for room correction as well, but you need to do several and average them, and unless you actually need the phase information RTA with moving mic is both easier and gives a better average.

Thanks. Not sure how to average them but this is what one looks like:

It shows how different frequencies reverb and go down in loudness (the number of to the right is time in milliseconds). From the look of it, I would say you have a fairly well treated room (or good walls and lots of furniture).

Only one problem which is at around 33Hz (apart from uneven frequency amplitudes but this guide will fix that).

Thanks again. I wish I could test via REW with the equalization etc in place in Roon. Just have to use my ears I guess…

I downloaded the REW files (sweeps and PN) and stored them in my Roon music library to make them accessible for testing in Roon that way. Based on my experience, the predicted result in REW is pretty close to what you will get when you measure it this way.

Yes, I did the same, loading in to roon. But roon can’t say generate sweeps with these in place to then test via REW and see if say the curve is flattened or as desired (as far as I know)

Oh I see what you mean, play the sweep sound by saving it as a track to roon! Will try that…

1 Like

Change the SPL scale from 0 to 60. You have circa 20db swings down low.
No point analysing a frequency response zoomed out.

Thanks but I don’t spot how to do that. In the RTA tool?

Theres a button to set axis limits.

Hi @Magnus. First of all, thank you for this excellent guide, and all your ongoing support. So I just took my first set of measurements using RTA, generated my filters using “match response to target”, and tried to export FIR as wav, upon which i received the error attached. I am also attaching my settings for troubleshooting. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 5.44.18 PM

You need to export the original RTA measurements of left and right channel. I got that error message trying to export the FR curve which I had made of the corrected values.

Also try to adjust your target level (press ’Calculate target level from response’) since now your 0-100hz seems very low and your setup probably lacks bass.