A List of Music NOT on Streaming Services to Find at Record Stores

Hi, just signed up for Roon Lifetime Subscription and just spent a week ripping over 300 CD’s to my Roon Core. I was recently at a record store looking for Adele Can’t Let Go, Lay me Down and Why Do you Love Me, which are bonus tracks on the Adele 25 CD, which is not on Qobuz. I tried finding a list of modern music which are not on streaming services. Does such a list exist and if not, what amazing modern tracks have you found that are not on streaming services for me to keep an eye out to add to my collection? I’m hoping if there is enough interest that we could have a running list going for people.

2 Likes

I doubt that such a list exists or could be maintained. I’ve purchased numerous releases because they weren’t available on streaming services at the time … but they are now.

Off the top, I can only think of a couple:

• Paris, Texas - Ry Cooder
  • The Road East: Live in Japan - Jackson Browne
1 Like

Shoegaze / dreampop:

Dark folk?

(This is actually on Tidal but it’s not on Spotify or Qobuz)

Korean indie:

(It is on Spotify but not on Tidal or Qobuz)

1 Like

Additionally, I heard it goes the other way sometimes to. Especially if it’s controversial:

For instance, for Michael Jackson: " Three songs from the King of Pop’s catalog, “Monster” featuring 50 Cent , “Keep Your Head Up,” and “Breaking News," have been pulled from streaming services. As the three songs were featured from MJ’s posthumous 2010 album Michael , fans and members of the Jackson family have questioned whether the vocals are Jackson’s own." LINK

I do see Breaking News as being composed by Michael Jackson on Qobuz, but don’t know if that’s the same song that was pulled.

Ok, Beyonce Grown Woman is not on any streaming services. I’ve found this information if you’re looking for it, " *This was one off the first songs to be released by Beyoncé Knowles off her fifth solo album. The tune was produced by Timbaland and features his signature beat boxing. It debuted on April 8, 2013."

I have been looking for Moby’s South Side with Gwen Stefani forever with no joy.

Also, years ago our local college station 89.7 The River had The Uninvited record Too High for the Supermarket in the studio, I’d love to get a copy of that file as well.

Neither of these will be in a record store either, I don’t think.

South Side is on Moby’s Play & Play: B Sides. It’s available on Qobuz in the US.

The other song is there too.

1 Like

The Play&Play version is the original.
He re-recorded it later with Gwen Stefani. That’s the version I can’t find. : /

1 Like

Is this what you are looking for :

2 Likes

This album has her singing on it

As far as albums missing John Zorn’s whole catalog used to be available but now just a few albums posted on any of the streaming services. Also The Fixx is missing their early catalog on all services as well. It used to be that I’d find missing albums just on Qobuz but now it’s seems most have same albums available. There is still the occasion when it’s just Qobuz that’s missing.

At least now with roon ARC you have your local library on the go. I no longer buy albums but still play some of my local copies from time to time.

1 Like

That’s what’s so odd. I have the Play CD and the Gwen version is not on it. So, I’m wondering if it’s an import or if I need to find the import.

Yes! That is it. I’ll order it from Discogs.
Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching Darko Audio and in a lot of his content he mentions albums not available for streaming services as well as ripping original tracks vs remastered tracks because you may get greater dynamic range because the remastered albums since 1995 are dynamically compressed to much vs the original CD Track. Never thought of this as well. It’s reason 12 and 13 of his video 15 reasons I still buy CDs. Link
Here’s two albums he mentions not available on streaming services. (Parts of the Album)

1. Children of the Bong, Sirius Sounds bonus tracks.
  2. Cherry Labels House of Love Burn Down The World box set.

I do find with a lot of albums, there are multiple versions available, so at least with roon, you still might have option to choice original vs remastered. Sometimes the version don’t show on the native app even though they exist.

But I do get the point of owning the cd version for an album you love since no guarantee it will always be available. But for me, I don’t even have a way of ripping or even playing a new cd anymore. I still have over 2000 ripped cd I have access to. I’d imagine most of those are on streaming services. Only find a handful that are not.

1 Like

This is the case, the vast majority of music I want to listen to is on at least one of the services.

There are two areas which this is not the case:

A handful of bands that refuse to keep or put their music on streaming

The service that Roon has, doesn’t have it

The second scenario is the most common. Qobuz has a lot of gaps still in electronic music (Tidal can cover this) and international music (particularly indie) is missing from both Tidal and Qobuz.

In both of those cases I just buy the files from Bandcamp or Qobuz because luckily, it isn’t too common.

Yeah, when I focused on my local library I did find more than I thought that weren’t showing up on Qobuz. But then did a search and see Tidal has it. Once everything is sorted out with Tidal offering true lossless hires files, I might switch over from Qobuz. They have a better selection and their native app is better. Plus they have Tidal Connect if want to bypass roon.

Albums I’d really like to find on Tidal are as follows:
Isao Suzuki Trio - Blow up
Michael Manring - Soliloguy
Richard Galliano - Bach
Clarke, Di Meola, Ponty - The Rite Of Strings
Steve Erquiaga - Cafe Paradiso
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar
Ross, Manring, McKee - Live In Toronto
Niels Lan Doky - Spain

1 Like

I got it yesterday, thanks again @crowlem !

1 Like

I was looking for the Fresh Cream Deluxe Edition on Qobuz and spotify, but it was not there.

1 Like