A set of very specific questions

It might be a timing thing as the Roon and Tidal databases synchronise. If that doesn’t fix things then open a new thread in Support with some screenshots demonstrating the issue and they’ll look into it.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try t do that. I thought it was a synch issue also but too much time has passed for that to be it.

1 Like

You can always manually force a tidal Sync. Just to be clear though, presenting screen pics of what you are seeing will allow us to understand a question and respond in a more focused manner.

But, in general, if you favorite an album in Tidal, it should show up in “Main Album” area. If you click on keith jarrett, Last Dance should be in the “Main Albums” section and no other version should be in the “Tidal Library”.

HOWEVER (caps for emphasis), if you directly search for “Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden”, the results of THAT search will show, Last Dance in “Library Albums” and both the other versions under “Tidal Library”.

1 Like

Daniel thank you very much. The “Grab” program on my iMac has been acting strangely making it hard for me to share screen shots.I will try to solve that problem and post some examples of what I am talking about in the next few days.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

See here for screenshot instructions on the Mac.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

I will share two screen shots. The first is the result of my initial search in Roon for “Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden.”

The second is the result of the next search in Roon after choosing the link "Tidal Albums.

To be clear, before (and after) run-in this search in Roon I opened Tidal to make sure the MQA versions of these two discs were the ONLY version in my Tidal library. They are.

I also went to Tidal’s collection of Jarrett albums and then Haden albums. Both of these discs appear in both collections and with more than one version. I double checked that the ONLY version I have selected in each artist’s collection is the MQA version.

Any idea why I get this result?

It looks like the expected result from Daniel’s “However …” paragraph. Library Albums shows the MQA versions you have favourited, Tidal Albums shows all versions available in Tidal.

Here is the problem. My personal library (as distinct from my Tidal library) includes a ripped version of both of these albums. So when I choose the ONLY image for each album that appears under “Library Albums” I believe I am getting the ripped version, not the Tidal MQA version. Because each album is designated on the Roon screen after I choose it as "ALAC 44.1kHz 16 bit.

When I work my way to the MQA version (through an annoying and time consuming trial-and-error process that also interrupts whatever music I am playing if I am trying to add one of these albums to my queue) it is 24 bit and either 96kHz or 192kHz.

Any way around this? Or do I need to remove the ripped version from my library. I don’t want to do that because – obviously – Tidal could close its doors tomorrow.

BTW to all of you who have helped me on this thread and others, this is without a doubt the most useful and helpful forum I have ever participated in. My Roon trial membership is ending and I just bought the life time membership, at least in part because of this community. (Although oddly when I closed and reopened Roon after getting the confirmation of my payment, it still shows as a trial membership that is about to end…)

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Trouble Finding Some of My Imported Music in Roon

Hi Geoff,

If the Trial Membership is About to End banner doesn’t go away, please open a new thread.

Cheers, Greg

If you go to settings, try setting “Show Hidden Tracks and Albums” to Yes. Then if you look in your library you should see all versions listed. For example, I have the ripped HDCD of Joni Mitche;l’s Hejira and I just added the Tidal MQA version. When I go to Joni Mitchell, you will see both versions in Main Albums.

On the other hand, if you want to display only 1 version and the rest hidden, leave the setting on Hiding Albums as NO, go to the album in your library, click on the Other Versions button, and then choose the primary version to display.

@Greg Upon reopening Roon this morning the warning about the end of my trial membership is still there. So that is worrisome to me. I need to do some more work with my own Roon library to confirm what additional problems I may be having. If that leads to another post I will start a new thread. For right now I will respond to Daniel’s suggestion here and hope perhaps I can get this one question resolved today.

@Rugby I will try what you suggested. My fear is that showing more albums will not repair the problem. That is I still won’t know which version is the MQA version until I play it. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood you. But I will also experiment with your second suggestion because what I want when I search for an album in Roon is to find the MQA version where it exists.

Thanks again.

I just add MQA to the ‘Version’ field. I also Bookmark ‘Tidal MQA’

1 Like

@Chrislayeruk where and how do you do that? (Sorry to be slow…) All I want is for my Roon library to show MQA as yours does on those albums that are Tidal Masters.

Ok, I do this on adding albums to my library.
Add Album, go to edit. Click Edit Album and scroll down to ‘Version’. Here I type MQA and save.

I pick Albums from the Tidal Masters section.

As I have Bluesound devices, MQA albums can be indentified their as well. Then I fav them and they get added to Roon.
It is a shame Room does not just flag them at this time. I hope they do soon.

1 Like

Chris thanks! My only problem is I feel like a first year language student in an advanced class. Or to put it another way, I’m not sure how to get to where you are showing me. (Again apologies.)

Up until now I have continued to add Tidal albums to my library through the Tidal app. I am happy to start doing it as you suggested but I need a little more of a step-by-step instruction. How does one get to that “Album Editor” page? (Remember I am in kindergarten and you are in college. :wink: )

Also can anything be done about the MQA albums I have already added to my library via Tidal? Can they also be pulled up in that Album Editor page and marked as MQA?

I could not agree with you more about this:

“It is a shame Room does not just flag them at this time. I hope they do soon.”

No problem.

The Three dot menu.

Once you know it, it’s easy.

1 Like

See the KB article on Editing - and in particular, the section on Bulk Edits. You can select all your MQA albums at once, and then put “MQA” in the Version field on the Edit Albums tab.

It doesn’t matter how you load your albums from Tidal. New ones will appear in the overview screen as they arrive. It’s just a matter of tagging them as you listen. Certainly follow Geoff’s advice above.