A switch in bit causes end point to disappear

I have a similar issue, but not with airplay. When I play a hi-res song, for example 24/96, and afterwards comes a 16/44 song, roon stops and ‘loses’ the audio zone.

I have an iMac acting as a core and a MacBook acting as a client over wifi. This MacBook is attached over USB to a lyngdorf TDAI 2170 amp.

After a stop I can’t hit the play button on my iPad no more, because the audio zone lyngdorf is suddenly missing. This happens Sometimes, but not on all occasions. Today I was playing a 24/96 album and added a 16/44 song in between, this caused a stop. Afterwards I played the last tracks of the 24/96 album and added a 16/44 song after the last song. This caused no stop.

If a stop occurs the only way to fix it is to restart roon on my MacBook after which the zone is there again and I can continue playback.

What is causing this?

Hi @Percival ---- Thank you for the report. I have went ahead and split your post into a new topic as it appears you are having a different issue. May I kindly ask you to verify the following for me:

1. Can you please provide me with the details of your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing in your setup.

2. While troubleshooting this issue, have you at any point tried with hardwired connection (via ethernet) to the MacBook instead of streaming over Wifi? If so was the experience any different or was it the same?

-Eric

Hello Eric

Thans for your reply. Here are my answers:

1. iMac i5 16gb > cable > AirPort Extreme > wifi (N) > MacBook Air 8gb > audio quest USB cable > lyngdorf TDAI-2170 digital amp. Streaming works perfectly fine, no dropouts. The occasional stop after switching bit rate is the only hassle at the moment.
  2. No I haven’t. I have no cable between my airport and my MacBook at the moment. My hifi set is not in a convenient place to use a cable unfortunately.

Today I had a few bit rate changes without a problem, but just now I had one from an Alac 16/44 file to an alac 24/96 which gave the issue again. Music stops, the audio zone disappears and won’t come back until I restart Roon on my MacBook.

Hi @Percival ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions! My apologies as I should’ve asked you to confirm this my initial follow up.

Can you verify for me where your music collection is being stored and how it’s being accessed?

-Eric

Yes I forgot: my music is stored on an external HDD, 2tb, connected over USB 3 to my iMac.

Hi @Percival ---- Thank you for verifying that information for me!

If you play any locally stored content on the iMac do you experience the same behavior when there is a change in bit rate? How about with TIDAL content (both inside and outside of the application)?

-Eric