A thread to actually celebrate Roon and no doom and gloom please!

I’m very happy with the product. Only issue I have is the price.

I know some very good software testers who would take issue, and perhaps offence at that statement. :wink: I realise it’d be unintended on your part.

This essentially is always the customers’ complaint. It’s worth remembering that in the age of “free” services, if you’re not paying then you and your data ARE the payment/product…

Always wanted something like Roon, I’ve tried (like others) many different systems/software over the years. Always felt like it was a temporary solution to my needs, never quite worked as I expected. Roon was immediately very different. Of course, a few improvements needed here and there, no software is perfect or bug-free.

But Roon:

• lets my music flow across my 4 zones (5th zone on its way!) easily
  • find albums/tracks/artists I’d just missed already in my collection
  • go off in random directions to see what I can find that’s new/old/different

When I’ve had issues, personally I find a little investigation first goes a long way. Issues with dropouts / losing connection were traced to my poor wi-fi setup, which was upgraded to Ubiquiti. Never had that issue again. Missing artwork, albums not matched, issues with Tidal - again some self-investigation / waiting a few days, or just rebooting my Windows core resolved my issues.

Roll on Roon, looking forward to whatever direction they are heading, happy to be part of the journey and the great music along the way :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Purple: Good enough for Prince, good enough for me.

6 Likes

Bravo, it kinda works the same for me.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it just works​:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Kevin,
I agree with you that we do not need any Roon bashing. It has no purpose, and the Roon staff are indeed very quick to help when anything goes wrong.
However, not many norther Americans are aware of the fact that the Roon 1.8 update did initially go wrong for people which did not have their device installed in native US English. As a Dutch user (Roon is very popular in Holland) i did encounter problems. I am still very positive because the Roon team reacted quickly to sort that problem. For some people it took a little bit longer because they were in timezones where we were starting to use Roon when everyone on the US side were still asleep.

However,
I am one happy person and Roon has changed my audio life completely. It is THE ultimate solution for vinyl addicts that migrate from CD to streaming. CD was always a surrogate solution. Now I can stream (apart from 1.5TB of ripped cd’s) newly bought studio audio files and play the same quality as artist can hear in the studio.

To summarize: I have 7 endpoints (and counting) using PC’s, a Nucleus directly connected to a studio quality DAC with external 10 Mhz clock), headphones + dragonflies connected to laptops, my iPAD & telephones, and even the musiccast devices I started with are now in minor/noisy places with Roon streaming through airplay.

Final question, how do I turn my coffee mug into an endpoint?
Everyone who reds this chins up and share music, not anger.

Hans

3 Likes

Ah exactly :beers:

1 Like

Very well said…
As for coffee mugs…

1 Like

I love ROON as I am finding new music everyday
But now I want more- I want to upgrade windows 10 Home 20H2 to windows server 2019,but am not confident I can accomplish the transition , without serious drama.
I am sure others have successfully upgraded and negotiated the pitfalls of such change.

Check that Server 2019 is on Roons supported list, I have funny feeling it’s not, some Windows servers aren’t

Could be wrong :grinning:

Just curious, why do you want to go to Windows Server 2019? It would be much cheaper to go to Windows 10 Pro, would it not? My media server is a headless Windows 10 Pro setup, and it’s perfectly good as a server, with the added advantage that Roon Server just works on it.

I concur. Two years ago I bought a Roon Nucleus + and lifetime subscription to Roon. I have 11 endpoints, a server with all of the music that I own and a Tidal subscription. I’ve been in entertainment bliss every day since. Wonderful product that’s easy to use, has magnificent reach and sounds fantastic.

1 Like

I too came from Sooloos when it went kaput and have equipment back to Twinstores that are now useless and share your view about Roon. Not perfect but pretty damn good

2 Likes

That’s true. But owing to the rapid response of the Roon team it was an inconvenience only for a couple of days. I switched from Portuguese to English on my iPad while Portuguese was temporarily problematic. In the scheme of life, a few days is nothing. I can easily forgive Roon for something that caused me a minor problem, particularly since 1.8 is a fantastic release. Does it have bugs and require some tweaking? Sure, but what software update doesn’t?

1 Like

I think it is time for a shout out to the Roon devs who appear to have responded with style to the many and varied suggestions. requests and complaints over the 1.8 rollout issues.

Build 778 hopefully will/does address a great number of these and hats off to the guys/gals behind this build.
Thank you!

3 Likes

I agree a brief look so far shows a lot of midnight oil !!

Well done Roon

3 Likes

More like robbing Peter to pay Paul…

I am working myself towards the lifetime license. I see Roon as a server that does not get obsolete easily. It is not an embedded firmware bind to a specific hardware which can get obsolete inevitably. I am using Roon Essentials and have enjoyed it a lot. I used full Roon for 4 months and enjoy it also. Unfortunately DSD, Chromecast & Squeezbox devices are only supported by full Roon, not Essentials. Since I have all 3 already, I really want to use them directly instead of switching to another solution (Audirvana, BubbleUPnP, HEOS, etc.)… Also if I replace the HW with Pi bridges, each would be about $150-200 USD. In balance, full Roon is a one stop solution and possibly more economical. And I am excited to see active 3rd party development of add-ins also.

3 Likes

Hi Robert,

Instead purchase a virtual windows server 2019 from a cloud provider. Costs money, but it will never hurt your present setup.

An old IT person
Hans

I am still reading tons of posts where many are having serious Roon issues, crashing, loss of core, endpoints etc.

I truly feel sorry for these people because I know it would piss me off royally if I ended up dealing with any of that sh!t.

I am counting my blessings that my system is still living the dream every day!