Acoustic guitar music recommendation

Doc Watson. Excellent bluegrass/folk/country flat picker and singer. An icon, if you will.

His album Southbound is a great introduction.

4 Likes

Yes, indeed. As is this:

RoonShareImage-637502898181021940

2 Likes

Martin Taylor is great (and a darn fine guy too)…

1 Like

2 Likes

What ever happened to Christopher Parkening? He had a Segovia album back in the 80’s that was very popular.

I meant about John Williams and Julian Bream :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Not guitar in general. …

She is superb …

Skærmbillede 2021-03-03 kl. 10.31.08
This woman is extraordinary in both technique and musicality - a very emotional record IMO. Read more about it here: Yasmin Williams : Transmissions : Aquarium Drunkard

3 Likes

Ah, yes. Wonderful new release from her. This leads directly to Kaki King who has a more punk-ish attitude towards music but in the best possible meaning of the word. She has an immense sense of rhythm; in her earlier work somewhat more melodic than she is today, where timbre plays a more prominent role.

Yasmin Williams and Kaki King via Brookfield Place (Video Stream) | Gig Alerts | New Sounds

2 Likes

Track 2 gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up!

1 Like

What you’re experiencing is the core of valence. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“ The secret ingredient is the Roon community; Valence learns from the musical tastes of over 100,000 expert listeners who use Roon. ”

1 Like

Yasmin Williams is pretty new to me but thanks for directing me to Kaki King and previous works too!

1 Like

Acoustic Storm by Robert Stanton

1 Like

6 Likes

Any flamenco guitar. Love Feliciano, Segovia and Charo, (Yes, Charo. when Segovia was still alive, she was the #2 flamenco guitarist in the world!)

Clive Carroll - aside from being a very pleasant fellow, he’s one of the most brilliant technicians of our day. And, he offers instruction and advice for us aspiring acoustic guitarists through a variety of online channels.

Charlie Byrd at the Village Vanguard is one of my favorites in the acoustic jazz guitar category. Great playing obviously and the club’s ambience really comes through.
Bill Frisell’s album Nashville is another favorite. Some really tuneful jazzy bluegrass, well recorded, masterful playing (though I skip the vocal tracks).

1 Like

Michael Hedges deserves a listen.

3 Likes