Acoustic guitar music recommendation

Dave & Tim are pretty great together:

1 Like

6 Likes

Thanks for recommending this. It’s a must own now.

3 Likes

Saw the link to Friday Night in San Francisco and it reminded me of Que Algeria. I got this cd in high school. Very well recorded. Haven’t seen it on any streaming sites, but amazon has some copies under 5 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_lqqw0NXzQ

I actually got a chance to see John McLaughlin and Trilok Gurtu and there was someone else with them, don’t remember who but it was a girl. It was the mid nineties at us mass Amherst in one of the theatres. Random show. Hardly anyone was there. I mean there were like 15 to 20 people, we ended up sitting front row. It was amazing!

3 Likes

Tommy Emmanuel → contemporary virtuoso

Check this song: Nils Lofgren - “Keith Don’t Go”

1 Like

‘Other worlds of the mind’ by Nocturnal Poisoning, feat. Malefic from Xasthur. Dark and Dissonant.

another one of my faves:

Listen to the guitar solo on Summertime. Brilliant. Not Doc Watson tho, it’s Jack Lawrence.

3 Likes

This forum is much better than Valance. When one of the upbeat guitar albums ended, a melancholy Miles Davis song came on Roon Radio. I skipped and then Take Five came on and i stopped Roon Radio. I guess the pattern it picked up was “play popular songs in Jazz”

1 Like

Here is some of the acoustic guitar artists I enjoy-
Craig Chaquico
Jesse Cook
Lee Rittenour
Larry Carlton
Johannes Linstead
Ottmar Liebert
Govi
Acoustic Alchemy

2 Likes

Thanks all for the recommendations, i hope they keep coming (although I have like 3 weeks of music to listen too!).

The point above about the value of the forum here, I have put into Feature Requests:

Check out some Bert Jansch and Becky Langan. I think you’ll be pleased!

Check out the Katona Twins for a fresh take on classical guitar . . .

RoonShareImage-637504984674737431

2 Likes

If you’re in the mood for some truly excellent country-blues guitar, try out Kelly Joe Phelps, who plays slide lap-style on a vintage Gibson acoustic with a raised saddle and nut:

RoonShareImage-637504705366539660

1 Like

My personal favourite: Joscho Stephan

Here’s a taste: Django’s Tiger

I hate this album. I wish he would go back to his old stuff. If he doesn’t I will never listen to him as an artist again. I paid good money for this and feel I should have a say in what he produces. - *****

Maybe we will have to filter user reviews?!

A couple of suggestions I haven’t spotted when skimming through this thread:

Tim Sparks - “Chasin’ the Boogie”

Tim Sparks

and Michael Fix - “Fingerpaintings”

Michael Fix does a superb version of “Classical Gas” on this album and a number of tremendous Beatles numbers on another of his albums “Lines and spaces”

Also, keep an eye out for Tommy Emmanuel. I’ve seen him live on a couple of occasions and his playing (especially his speed and accuracy) is astonishing. Personally, I prefer to listen at home to something a little ‘slower’!

1 Like

Heck Yeah!! R.I.P, Michael.

Recently bought the DSD64 version from HRA after listening on TIDAL

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here…

1 Like

Did not check every post but ANYTHING by Charlie Byrd would be my answer.
This one is on the shorter side being a 45rpm record but simply sublime!

2 Likes