Active speakers best way to go today?

Horns, big f’ing horns

Close the thread.

1 Like

2 Likes

I was using all sorts of active 3, 4 way speakers in studios, home studio and at home beside few passive too since the early nineties. Quested, ATC, Tannoy, Neumann, Genelec, PMC and Naim Kii and very briefly a D/ D at home as well.

I settled with the not to well known Danley Studio 2, now I have two pairs of them, a black and a white. I was using Danley speakers for PA, Home Theatre and at home too since 2007, so I know Tom Danley’s products very well.

The Danley Studio 2 is just perfect for my taste, for my curiosity, for my rooms and for my music perception. Stand is a very special, modular one from Pillartech Audio. Cabling is mostly silver Wireworld and AQ Mistral as power cables, as I need almost 6m of them, running from my AQ Niagara 3000 mains distributor unit.

It is one tricky beast, it uses a 6.5-inch coax with an internal so-called Synergy, patented crossover and a DSP for an internal 10-inch subwoofer, crossed at 80 Hz. Goes down to 20 Hz in a very compact chassis and its phase response is as close to perfect as it is possible (measured them in an anechoic room). Sound is precise, live, smooth, and very entertaining, with all kinds of genres and on all loudness even at late night. I switched off volume setting possibilities and drive them from a MiniDSP SHD Studio, through dual-mono AES/EBU connection. Very simple, but very powerful system.

3 Likes