Adding dCS Rossini to Roon setup

Always, always do backups of your Roon library.

The ominious warning is about losing your Roon library, not your music files.

Roon doesn’t touch your music files.

Thanks to you all. I’m gonna sign off from the thread lest my ignorance be on even more display… If anything momentous eventuates from dCS, I’ll communicate.
Jim Heckman

Everyone’s got to learn. We all did.

I’m guessing the difference between my Roon library and my music files is that the latter are the CDs I’ve ripped into the Antipodes, and the former are all the music I’ve libraried in Roon, but Roon does display all my ripped files. Also, and here’s a disclosure that makes me hope I never meet any of you in person, I don’t know how to back up my Roon library. I do have Roon automatically back up every two weeks, but my understanding it that that backup only includes Roon settings, not the library.

But ominous it nevertheless is. I’ve spent two years building my Roon library in all its details (favorites, tags, etc.).

Yes, that’s the backup I am talking about, so GTG there.

Yes, that is what’s in your Roon library and what you don’t want to lose. Your music files (stored music) are not in your library and are not backed up. Music files are totally your responsibility.

Good luck.

Thanks, Slim. I’ll look in the Roon Knowledge Base or User Guide and presumably learn how to back up my Roon library

Hi @James_Heckman,

As others have mentioned here, the Rossini is only a DAC endpoint and cannot support running the Roon Core. You will need a Roon Core to handle the library management and audio processing, I suggest keeping the Antipodes DX3 as the Core (since this has Core capabilities).

As for how to create a backup of your Roon database, I suggest taking a look at our Backup documentation. Once you connect the Rossini to the network, you will have to enable it in Roon Settings -> Audio, please see the following guide for more information in this area.

Just for clarification, the Roon core runs on a computer. It can run on a Windows computer, Linux computer, NUC, Nucleus, and others, etc. When a device is listed as “Roon ready,” that doesn’t mean it is a computer that can run the Roon core. That simply means that is can serve as a Roon end-point, meaning you can send music from the Roon core device to the end-point device, then on to your amp and speakers, etc.

Thanks, James. I think I am starting to figure out that my laptop is my Roon Core.

Thank you, Noris. I’ve actually looked several times at the page you sent. However it doesn’t tell me how to back up my Roon library. I think I need to do that to avoid losing it when I switch to the Rossini. Also, I now can’t get into Roon–it keeps Looking for a Core or Remote, and this screen won’t budge. If I keep the Antipodes DX3 as my Core, do I then lose any of the better sound quality of the Rossini? From your message, I gather I need to switch my Ethernet lead back to the Antipodes. The Rossini is already connected to the network since I can stream Tidal using dCS Mosaic software.

I think the Roon Ready Antipodes is a device that can run the Roon core.

Noris of Roon Support emailed that the Antipodes is a Roon Core. Not sure what that makes my laptop, but I’ll take it. I now need to figure out how to back up the Core, and then somehow incorporate Roon into the Rossini. But there is progress and I think that latter task will be easier than trying to translate the Rosetta stone up to this point.

Hi @James_Heckman.

Yes, your Antipodes DX3 can run the Roon Core, I can’t say for sure if it was your Roon Core or you laptop was, but if you invested money into the Antipodes you may want to use this dedicated Core rather than the laptop (since the laptop might be used for other applications and have less resources for Roon).

Before you are able to backup your Roon database, you will need to connect to the Antipodes Core and check to see if you see your library contents there. For this, the Antipodes needs to be connected to the same network as the Roon Remote (which I would think is the laptop in this case) and powered on.

Once the Antipodes is powered on and has an active internet connection, it should show up in the “Choose your Core” screen on your laptop and you can select it as the Core device.

You will also need to connect the Rossini to your network (and have the Antipodes connected as well). If you don’t have sufficient Ethernet ports on your current router, I would suggest adding an un-managed gigabit switch from the router to Antipodes and Rossini.

It is important that this switch is un-managed since managed switches can sometimes cause issues with Roon and require specific settings applied, it would be best to avoid them.

Then after both of the Antipodes and the Rossini are connected to the same network (and powered on), you will want to go to Roon Settings -> Audio and enable the Rossini DAC. Afterwards, you will have to select it from the “Zone Picker” menu (bottom right) and you can start outputting content to it.

I know there’s a lot of information listed above, but if you get stuck at any of the steps, please share a few screenshots to clarify where exactly you are stuck. You can upload screenshots here by using these instructions.

I think you would know if you loaded the Roon core software onto your laptop. If you don’t know, shut down your laptop and play some music from Tidal or Qobuz. If it works, then your laptop is NOT running your Roon core.

very good reasoning. I’ve played music with laptop off, so my question is answered. thanks.

Hi @James_Heckman, your DX3 runs Roon Server (aka Roon Core). It can also run Roon Ready when connected to the dCS Rossini as a DAC, or the dCS Rossini can itself run Roon Ready via its DAC. The Rossini should be able to be direct ethernet-connected to the Antipodes; the Antipodes acts as a network bridge. You do not need to involve your notebook …unless you want to get rid of the Antipodes?!

You can contact me at support@antipodes.audio if you need help.

This is a followup in case of interest for all you good guys who tried to help me solve this problem of trying to get Roon to work with my new dCS Rossini, in a system with the Antipodes DX3.

Spending an hour last night logged in to my laptop from New Zealand, Tony Devitt, the Antipodes support person, analyzed and solved the problem as follows (as I understand it): he established the Roon Core on my Antipodes DX3, and used the Rossini for its Roon Ready and DAC functions. He said there is a sound quality benefit to separating the Core and Roon Ready functions into two machines (which I believe is what Antipodes’ new flagship combination of CX and EX does). The stream is from my Comcast wire coming in from the street to the Core, then to Roon Ready (and the DAC) on the Rossini, then out to the system.

The Antipodes serves as a network bridge, and behaves like a network switch, so it must be running before the DAC is powered up in order to enable the Antipodes as Core to give an IP address to the DAC. The connection between the Antipodes and Rossini to enable this functionality is a wire between ethernet ports on the Antipodes and the Rossini. He said a router could be used for this, but sound quality is a little better with this direct connection. When he finished, the system worked with Roon as it had before the Rossini.

I cannot resist this closing comment. Watching his working on my computer, it seemed very complicated. The kind of detailed attention to my problem and the extreme knowledge and competence he demonstrated were typical of the support I’ve received all along from him and Antipodes. And I hadn’t even asked for his help. His participation started with his somehow learning of Antipodes being mentioned in this forum. Seeing this, of his own accord he stepped forward and responded with an offer to help. I’d thought of contacting him earlier, and knew he could probably solve the problem due to his deep expertise, but didn’t want to take his time. One can’t help but have great respect for him and his company.

Thanks again to you all for pitching in to help solve this problem.
Jim Heckman

3 Likes

Glad it’s all sorted Jim.

Hi @James_Heckman,

Glad to hear that you were able to sort this issue out with @Tony_Devitt’s help, thanks for jumping in here Tony!