Adding genres without result

You can always submit a feature request (in the Feature Request forum) asking for the option to display all genres… At the moment, Roon will display only top-level genres from its own list of genres, together with any user-defined genres in the main Genre page of the Genre Browser. All others are reached by drilling down through the browser.

Of course, you can always use the Focus feature to select any genre or combination of genres directly.

Or, you can, as Dylan suggests, promote selected genres to the top level, where they will be seen on the main page of the Genre Browser. Like so:

Beautiful theory but remains unclear
I did not do anything special to add the genre with the name “annoying bug in Roon” and do not promote it to the top level and yet this is visibly. To make it even clearer, I added a second fake genre named “annual holiday”.
If I think about it further, the choice of genre names within our own library should be separate from the predetermined Roon designations.
Note: I can not imagine that I have to visit the customer to promote his desired genre names to the top level

As I said earlier, you can always submit a feature request, setting out a use case for how you think Roon should work with Genres.

At the moment, Roon will display any user-defined genre at the top level in the Genre Browser; along with the top-level Genres that Roon uses. All other genres defined by Roon are grouped into sub-genres in a treelike structure, e.g.

Yes, but why do those fake genres that I have created succeed?
can you tell me where i can do this:
… As I said earlier, you can always submit a feature request, setting out a use case for how you think Roon should work with Genres…

Because, as I said earlier, that’s how Roon is designed to work:

You’ve added a unique, new, self-defined genre, and such a genre defaults to the top level of the Genre hierarchy - where it will be seen.

Feature requests should be submitted in the Feature Request category of the forum.

Okay, so “Indie Rock” or “Indie Folk” or “Indie Pop” are not unique and so because they are not unique they will not appaer.

They are genres that come pre-defined in Roon’s built-in genres, and they happen to be sub-genres of the Alternative/Indie Rock genre, which is itself a sub-genre of the top-level genre Pop/Rock. As Dylan has said, you can always promote any sub-genre to the top level, as well as edit the tree hierarchy to move genres around within the structure.

As a test, I edited the Indie Rock genre, and promoted it to the top level, so that it would appear on the main page of the Genre Browser. That change is also now shown in the Album Editor, where a search for “Indie” will show all genres that have the text string “Indie” in them. You can see that “Indie Rock” is now a top level genre, along with Pop/Rock. By default, it would normally appear under the “Alternative/Indie Rock” sub-genre, but I have now moved it up the hierarchy.

Is the change you have done write now visible for any Roon user ?

It’s for my Roon installation only, so it’s only visible for people using my Roon (i.e. family and guests).

Unfortunately

Hey @fernand_lambert,

To echo what Geoff has said, this currently appears to be working as designed.

Let’s look at your two examples, “Annual Holiday” and “Indie Rock”.

Annual Holiday does not exist in Roon’s pre-defined genre hierarchy. Since Roon sees this as a new genre, it adds it as a top-level genre.

Indie Rock, on the other hand, is a known Roon genre and exists under Pop/Rock in Roon’s genre hierarchy. Since Indie Rock is a sub-genre it does not appear in the top-level genre list by default. You’ll need to go to Pop/Rock and then view the sub-genres of Pop/Rock to see that specific sub-genre.

There are a couple of options available from here.

Let’s say Indie Rock is a favorite that you want to frequently listen to. Instead of navigating to the sub-genres, you can choose the Focus option from the album browser and select only Indie Rock. You can then use the bookmark feature to save that focus and easily return to it.

If you’d prefer to see Indie Rock as a top-level genre and navigate to it that way, you can perform the steps I mentioned earlier:

1. Navigate to the Indie Rock subgenre
  2. Right-click/long press to select and choose edit
  3. Choose Edit for the Parent Genre option
  4. Select Choose Genre
  5. Select Make Top-Level Genre

Keep in mind that these options only effect the one genre. If you were to add tags for another genre, say, Blues-Rock, this would also fall underneath the Pop/Rock hierarchy since it is a sub-genre in Roon.

Since this appears to be “working as designed”, you can always create a post in the “feature request” section of the site for any changes you’d like to see here.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community. We always appreciate community feedback!

Thanks,
Dylan

I have done some costs such as extra memory on Nas, external ssd for Roon and a year paid for Roon, an abbo on Tidal where the search function also a bit disappointing, everything with the intention to test a Metrum Accoustic Ambre.
If my somewhat disappointing experiences with Roon continue, this plan may fall into oblivion

Okay, I’ll try it with “Indie Pop”, “Indie Folk” and “Indie Rock”

It’s been done.

1 Like

Don’t know how you di it Dylan but this doesn’t work

1. Navigate to the Indie Rock subgenre
    2. Right-click/long press to select and choose edit
  2. Choose Edit for the Parent Genre option
  3. Select Choose Genre
  4. Select Make Top-Level Genre

Hey @fernand_lambert,

What type of device are you doing this on? Some editing options are not available on mobile devices currently so you may need to do this from a different device.

-Dylan

On my laptop pc

Hey @fernand_lambert,

Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing when you select an genre, click the 3 dots, and select edit?

Please note that the Edit option is only available if you select 1 genre at a time, not multiple.

-Dylan

Where do you mean Dylan ?

See screenshot below, @fernand_lambert. In the screenshot I right-clicked one of my sub-genres (Alternative/Indie Rock). Then I clicked the button with the 3 dots in the upper left-hand corner of the screen and selected Edit.

From there you should see the Parent Genre option. Select Edit here.

Then select Choose Genre. You’ll see the genre picker appear. At the very bottom there is an option called “Make Top-Level Genre”. Select this.

Now, when I go to the top-level Genres page, I see my Alternative/Indie Rock genre as a top-level genre.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions here.

-Dylan

1 Like