Adding music folder on QNAP to Roon

Hi, am having a problem with my QNAP 251 NAS with my music stored on it but Roon will not recognise it.

I am using my Mac Pro as my Roon Core.

When I try and add the folder from the Roon’s storage page in settings, it doesn’t work.

Can you resolve for me . Thanks

Presumably you’ve followed the guide here, and read the troubleshooting page here?

What error messages are you getting when you try and add the NAS folder?

I am trying to follow the guide and the troubleshooting page but I am getting stuck…

the troubleshoot says: You should be able to see the exact path for the share by viewing the share’s settings on that machine. The path should look like one of these:

• \NASDRIVENAME\Music (for example)
  • smb://NASDRIVENAME/Music (for example)

I don’t know where to find this on the QNAP NAS programme it is not immediately obvious

This is the filename that comes up that I have tried to add in to the ‘add network share’ box as per the fa[quote=“Guy_Rubin, post:4, topic:114941, full:true”]
I am trying to follow the guide and the troubleshooting page but I am getting stuck…

the troubleshoot says: You should be able to see the exact path for the share by viewing the share’s settings on that machine. The path should look like one of these:

• \NASDRIVENAME\Music (for example)
  • smb://NASDRIVENAME/Music (for example)

I don’t know where to find this on the QNAP NAS programme it is not immediately obvious
[/quote]

This is the filename that I have tried to add to the Roon add network share box as per the instructions

ftp://192.168.0.22//Multimedia I get a error message saying ‘could not connect to share’ host not found ’

SMB not FTP

it says FTP on the info that appears on the Mac

They are different networking protocols. Look at the instructions you posted just above it, SMB.
smb://NASDRIVENAME/Music (for example)

What is your Nas called?

how do I change it

? it is a NAS 251+

THE nas is Ia QNAP 251+

No - not what model of a QNAP NAS is it, but what network name have you given to it?

For example, my various Windows PCs have network names such as Degas, Matisse, Monet, and so on. So if I want to look at a shared folder called “Music” on Degas from another computer, I would use the network address \\Degas\Music in Windows File Explorer, or smb://Degas/Music if I was accessing it from a Mac…

it is a Mac Pro

• it is admin/multimedia

as previously mentioned when you press get info on that file name you get the following:

where: admin@192.168.0.22

server: ftp://192.168.0.22//Multimedia

STP is enabled in system preferences for file sharing.

I can send some screenshots if it helps

A picture is worth a thousand words…

(upload://6VlAX8umQTXwzmlQhX8xrC68SC8.jpeg)

![sytempref|690x431]

I am neither a Mac nor a QNAP NAS user, so I may be misinterpreting what I’m seeing… However, it seems to me that your QNAP is called RubinQNAP and has an IP address of 192.168.0.22.

So you should be able to add the Multimedia folder using the network address of smb://RubinQNAP/Multimedia - I don’t know what your username and password are for this on your QNAP, so you’ll probably have to add them into the Roon screen as well.

2 Likes

Login on the QNAP and check if Microsoft Networking is enabled; check the shared Folder Permissions also. Use the information from this two locations when connecting from Roon to the NAS.

Thanks. This worked